Quantcast

V-brakes

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
just would like to hear people's opinions on what the lightest/slickest V-brake setup is.
I need a new setup on my fallguy because the Avids i got now, the brake arms are so wide that my crank hits it sometimes. plus they are big and heavy and ugly. my brake levers are basic old Avids as well, surely there is something lighter and nicer out there.
i'm running koolstop pads.

so whats the tits as far as brake/brake lever setups for Vs?

also.... my red koolstops started making some HORRID sounds as soon as i switched to a rhynolite xl rim... does that go away? whats up with that?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
just would like to hear people's opinions on what the lightest/slickest V-brake setup is.
I need a new setup on my fallguy because the Avids i got now, the brake arms are so wide that my crank hits it sometimes. plus they are big and heavy and ugly. my brake levers are basic old Avids as well, surely there is something lighter and nicer out there.
i'm running koolstop pads.

so whats the tits as far as brake/brake lever setups for Vs?

also.... my red koolstops started making some HORRID sounds as soon as i switched to a rhynolite xl rim... does that go away? whats up with that?
I use old DXs on my FG. Youll have to reposition some of the spacers/washers behind the brake pad where it attaches to the arm to get them really in close. Mine are pretty much even with the seat stays....

Also a little toe in(the leading edge of the pad touches the rim first) helps reduce noise. If that doesnt work try another compound.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I have a set of the CaneCreek Direct curve5's on a DeathMobile here at the shop and there super low profile , with the cable routing more inside you have less clearence issues with the noodle from the avids.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
just a heads up. that cane creek probably wont fit in the new fg. the 14.25 cs put a reg v brakes cable and arm very close to the seat tube. im guessing the long arms on the cane creek will not clear. they look cool but $95 ouch. its just a v brake.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
just checked - i have Avid Single Digit 5's.
Would Avid Ultimates or XTRs be narrower/better?
Stoked, i know u've told me already, but what are u running?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
just checked - i have Avid Single Digit 5's.
Would Avid Ultimates or XTRs be narrower/better?
Stoked, i know u've told me already, but what are u running?
tektro arms/aftermarket tektro hinged lever.

i have a rear avid ultimate if you're interested vas. i was meaning to swap out the tektro but my brakes feel so good i don't need to. i picked up the ultimate v from fool over a year ago before i had the tonic.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Vas,

As mentioned here, there's no reason to have your brake arms sticking out on a FG. Getting the arms to sit inboard of the seatstays is as easy as swaping the thick spacer on your pads from the inside to the outside of the brake arm.

Even on the new FG, with smaller stays, the brakes can be set-up to sit well inboard. I seriously doubt that Cane Creek brake would work on the new FG. The straddle cable just clears seat tube with regular brakes.

I really haven't found one V-brake to be worlds ahead of any other. Maybe Paul's for something trick? They have a tiny V-brake lever.
Shimano is always a good choice. Maybe DXR?
Come to think of it, I don't even know what brand I'm using.
I do recomend an Odyssey Linear cable.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Vas,

As mentioned here, there's no reason to have your brake arms sticking out on a FG. Getting the arms to sit inboard of the seatstays is as easy as swaping the thick spacer on your pads from the inside to the outside of the brake arm.
thanks L. i'll play around with my brake setup some more later tonight and see what i can come up with.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Same thing I said on your other thread...
ODSY A-brake is the recipe if yours are getting all bowed out from the stays (might have some to do with how large your brake pads are and how many spacers you use too...). I almost ran one of the A-brakes when I was looking at picking up a deathmobile a while ago. Probably not the lightest set-up out there though, but pretty smooth and little more rare than the typical mtb action.

On my echo trials bike I ran some older (~3 years ago now probably) XTR's with XT levers, and they were POWERFUL! modulation was decent at best, but that wasn't my concern with a trials bike, more like full on lock up with 1 finger, and probably mostly due to running plazmatic pads, a Salsa booster, and ceramic rim.
I don't know what the jive is with all these haters on parallel push, yeah, it rattles some, but it feels smooth.

if you can find a set of the old Avid Black Ops brakes, those would be killer. I've seen a few floating around on ebay for decent prices, although some go out the roof. :)

also be trick if you could rock some old IRD widgets or something, but doubt that funky trick stick would fit behind a seat-tube if need be...

as for levers... hmmm, I don't know, like I said, I ran some XT's and they were decent, but you know typical mtn lever mech lever, which is pretty straight forward, full four-finger (no discount minus 5), usually overpriced, somewhat weak, but light.
I also ran an old Tektro BMX v-lever when I had avid bb-7's on my eastern, and I took some channel locks to the blade and bent it to feel like my old dirt harry. Turned out pretty nice, and best of all, very very cheap (actually free off an old GT bmx bike) and fairly stout. no idea on weight though. Maybe you could try one of those Talon V levers.

Urban Bandit

Chimp
Aug 20, 2007
i have a similar question
- i need a rear v-brake for my MOB frame.
WHAT DO I NEED TO LOOK FOR TO MAKE SURE IT CLEARS/FITS??

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Vas,

did this, worked like a charm. i dont know why i havnt thought of that earlier - just looked right past that solution - i feel silly now :)

thank you for the hint Landon.
tonic fab for president.