Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What are you doing for national 'guys hate buying worthless isht for girls day'?

I'm hoping to do nothing. Work, gym, and study for my CFA.

I did get Wifey this nice Tiffany's necklace for v-day and left it on the nightstand this am. I still haven't heard from her so I'm thinking she totally missed it. I'm not sure how a girl misses the TIF blue bag though... I thought that isht was magnetic.

And no, I don't support wasting money for V-Day (I want to buy lots of toys for my car/bikes). I just don't want to deal with tears and BS after she doesn't get anything while her friends show off the stuff they got from their rich husbands.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
And no, I don't support wasting money for V-Day (I want to buy lots of toys for my car/bikes). I just don't want to deal with tears and BS after she doesn't get anything while her friends show off the stuff they got from their rich husbands.
Sounds to me like you're supporting it.

P.S. if you doing something with your F* buddy for valentines day that is any different than what you're doing every other day, you're doing it wrong.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds to me like you're supporting it.

P.S. if you doing something with your F* buddy for valentines day that is any different than what you're doing every other day, you're doing it wrong.
I wasn't going to do a damn thing until a friend (female) guilted me into getting something. I have been dropping tons of hits about a Rally school that I want to go to, so hopefully she returns the favor with Rally school. If she does, then it's a wash.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This was my gift to my wife, installing our new sink and faucet. As per her request! We're having some steaks tonight and just being at home with each other.

WTF is up with the upload tool?

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
What are you doing for national 'guys hate buying worthless isht for girls day'?

I'm hoping to do nothing. Work, gym, and study for my CFA.

I did get Wifey this nice Tiffany's necklace for v-day and left it on the nightstand this am. I still haven't heard from her so I'm thinking she totally missed it. I'm not sure how a girl misses the TIF blue bag though... I thought that isht was magnetic.

Thats funny she missed the blue bag. If I bought my wife something from Tiffany's i could wrap it in a brown paper bag and put it inside of 8 different box's and she would still know its there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got her a dozen white roses from Pro Flowers to be delivered on Friday for our hot date on Saturday. I rushed home at lunch to put the flowers in a vase and when I opened the box, I was pissed.

Not only were they NOT white roses (more of a parchment) but they were about 30% brown and dying. I ran down to Albertson's and they were just putting out the V Day stuff, so I grabbed a dozen WHITE roses, some babies breath, then went back to try and make it look presentable.

Roses on the top row, Albertson's for $20 a dozen, bottom row is Pro Flowers $50 a dozen plus $10 fro shipping.

The roses on the bottom look twice as bad next to the Albertsons roses. Stupid flowers.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Wait... that is TODAY?

@%^&#*&$&@%&^%$()

Got any ideas for me?

Just kidding... Though in all honesty I have NOT done anything yet.
Wife hates jewelery, doesn't want any sweets, plus we have the 6mo old so no "romantic" dinner... all that really leaves is for me to get her some flowers.

Not too much of this :weee: tonight either since the MIL (Mother in Law) will be staying at our house tonight.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Not much since I just dropped coin for an engagement ring, even though she won't get that for another month. I bought some good steaks from a local butcher and will make dinner tonight. Also bought some flowers that will be delivered from a florist by her work.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
LOL... Keepin up with the Jones's

;)
I try to keep expectations low, which I have done a good job of for the most part. It does not help that her friends all married guys almost 10 years older than me, who for the most part are Bankers and senior sales people in their companies. Which makes it hard for a monkey like me.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
so is your wife older, or are her friends gold diggers?
A year older than me and yes, her friends are gold diggers.

It's funny because they all have really nice stuff - cars, houses, crap, etc. We live in a small 2br apt outside of the City because an equivalent place in the City is 2x.
A while back when I was talking with the husbands about trading/investing, we started talking about 2% positions and how big those lots are. They were all taken aback by how large the positions I take are. I don't think I take positions of any large size, but because we don't use debt, I think we might actually be both gross and net positive over these 'well established' people.

I do find it funny how the Jones' are the ones who tend to run out of money or blow up though...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife found a semi-chain called Pastini Pastaria that served excellent Italian food for less than $10 a plate. Best part is everything they offer on the lunch/dinner menu can be made gluten free (except the meatballs) for no additional charge. My wife got a basil noodle dish of some sort and I got the baked manicotti. The gluten free noodles are cooked in separate water and they use separate utensils, and all GF dishes are marked with an Italian flag toothpick so they don't mix it up.

They even have gluten free tiramisu, awesome. Dinner, a few drinks, and desert came to $45 with a 20% tip. We will be back again and again. For anyone that has had to deal with gluten issues, they know what a pain it can be to find good options.

The waiter was telling us the new hip thing in Portland is Gluten Free, so people come in, order a meal that is gluten free, then get mad when they aren't given bread. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My wife found a semi-chain called Pastini Pastaria that served excellent Italian food for less than $10 a plate. Best part is everything they offer on the lunch/dinner menu can be made gluten free (except the meatballs) for no additional charge. My wife got a basil noodle dish of some sort and I got the baked manicotti. The gluten free noodles are cooked in separate water and they use separate utensils, and all GF dishes are marked with an Italian flag toothpick so they don't mix it up.

They even have gluten free tiramisu, awesome. Dinner, a few drinks, and desert came to $45 with a 20% tip. We will be back again and again. For anyone that has had to deal with gluten issues, they know what a pain it can be to find good options.

The waiter was telling us the new hip thing in Portland is Gluten Free, so people come in, order a meal that is gluten free, then get mad when they aren't given bread. :rofl:
Why are people anti-glutten? I can understand if you have Celiac's disease, but a fad?
That's stupid.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why are people anti-glutten? I can understand if you have Celiac's disease, but a fad?
That's stupid.
Why do people ride fixies and wear uncomfortable girl pants? My wife and daughter both have Celiac's, so it isn't an option. It's no different than any other fad diet, though.

I think it's hilarious that someone would order a gluten free meal then request bread.

"I'm a vegetarian, but I love me some ribs. Pork doesn't count, right?"

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That's stupid.
My friend told me that people are now coming into his bakery and asking why he doesn't sell gluten-free bread. And getting mad that he won't start selling it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Two fo the last 3 years, I have knocked it out of the park. The Grove Park Inn & Spa Resort her in Asheville has a thing during the week that if you buy any spa treatment, you get the run of the whole facility the entire day.

First year, I got her a $270 massage. She loved it, but not the massage. She just loved the pampering, extravagence and lavish treatment the staff dish out. Free samples everywhere, delicate snacks, etc.

Last year, I got her an $80 pedicure/foot massage. She picked it, not me. She again bragged about everything but the massage.

This year, I played penniless and pitiful trying to surprise her. Me and a buddy were gonna send the wife's at the same time and mine suspected. Who knew she doesn't like the other wife. :D

So the funds are gonna go toward her summer wardrobe. She's got a great ass...so that's my gift.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Did he explain that fat people spend a shlt ton on pastries and his danty, skinny jean wearing ass is evidence he's not a profitable consumer?
Believe it or not, these are mostly middle age people who are asking for it.
I think what happened is that someone, somewhere heard "Gluten is bad" and now, much like any fad diet, people are thinking that if they stop eating gluten, they will magically get better/thinner. They don't realize that its for people with celiacs or other disorders.

These same people also ask if he has any low fat desserts (his desserts are things like Tiramisu and Baklava)...this is after they walk over from the Fish N Chips place next door :rofl:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Lactose intolerance is so 2000....Gluten allergy is the new lactose intolerance.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lactose intolerance is so 2000....Gluten allergy is the new lactose intolerance.
Must spread rep,

Seriously. I should come out with a book like the Atkins diet, only I get a cut from all the overpriced places like Olive Garden that offer only a few options and charge you extra by recommending them. Get people to "Just say NO to Gluten" as there are no studies to prove just how bad it is for your body. We all know the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

I just found out that there is a location right down the street from work, so I met my wife there for lunch. $6 lunch specials, lasagna was almost as good as the mancotti. There is another location by our place (we went to SE on Saturday).

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
First time in 6 years I didn't have to buy anything seeing as I'm
Code:
sans significant other. Instead I bought myself some 5.10 minaars. Taking this new chick I've been hanging out with to dinner tonight. Nothing fancy just some Mexican food. Looking forward to it actually.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Taking the fiancee out for a little picnic. Fairly cheap, gets me some points for the idea and I can do some work there after eating.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
The wife and I went out to dinner last week, neither one of us want to deal with all the nonsense surrounding Valentines Day. She doesn't like flowers, and didn't want any candy because she's been hitting the gym pretty hard. So, I got off really cheap this year.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I got stood up tonight, so I'm drinking the two bottles of wine I bought and tomorrow I'm going to burn the flowers. Halfway through the first bottle right now, I'll report back later.