Quantcast

v10 carbon

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
I have a 2012 tr450 preordered. I am also looking at the v10c. What do some of you that have a v10 think. Just like to hear some feedback

Aug 23, 2011
used a freinds of mine for two days while my bike was out of commish. Really liked it alot, pedaled well, light, and seemed to really 'pop' of lips. Might have just been the sus set up but I would have gone that way had I not gone with a Shocker.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
take everything good you remember about the older V10s and subtract everything bad you thought about those bikes.

it flicks and flies very easily making you feel kinda like a less gay version of peter pan, yet will gobble rocks and ruts like a stoner in a pizza parlor. it corners like a slot car and drifts like a hobo riding the big iron special.

it pedals amazingly well. so much so, that i pinch flatted today climbing a rock garden i can barely make on my trail bike. i still made it up it. twice.

plus, it is made out of fibre carbon. and not cheesy road bike carbon. its the kind of carbon that makes your finger hurt when you thwack it.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
take everything good you remember about the older V10s and subtract everything bad you thought about those bikes.

it flicks and flies very easily making you feel kinda like a less gay version of peter pan, yet will gobble rocks and ruts like a stoner in a pizza parlor. it corners like a slot car and drifts like a hobo riding the big iron special.

it pedals amazingly well. so much so, that i pinch flatted today climbing a rock garden i can barely make on my trail bike. i still made it up it. twice.

plus, it is made out of fibre carbon. and not cheesy road bike carbon. its the kind of carbon that makes your finger hurt when you thwack it.
Well said. I have yet to flat a tire on me V10c. knock on fibre carbon.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Has anyone heard when/if the carbon rear will appear on the production models?

I hope it's soon.......

J

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
word i got was never, but that was also before trek whipped out their full carbonium machine....it will be tough to produce it domestically at a price point comparable to where the bike is now (you may think its expensive, but its right in line with most other top tier frames) and i would imagine thats their biggest concern. would be cool as an option tho, i know i'd probably get one down the road

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I think you really can't go wrong with either. I have a V10C and its been a good bike; it doesn't do anything bad. Very forgiving and pretty easy to get used too. I'm running a -1 cup and The HA is around 64* with a 13.63" BB in the 8.5" setting. I didn't like the 10" setting; it felt too dead to me. I ran it in the 8.5" setting for all but one ride.

You can built the V10's pretty light without trying. Mine was ~38lbs. My Revolt was just over 40lbs with the same parts.

I know a few guys with TR's and they like them.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
The carbon swingarm, at this point, is a team issue part only. As was brought up in another post, there are cost issues that can't be ignored, so if its offered, it would be a hop-up kit for anyone with an existing frame. There will be no carbon swingarm for sale in the foreseeable future, and we are still in the research phase. The molds limit the qty that can be made, so this is not something that will change soon.

The V10 has a history of durability, and while we are gram counters when designing, its more important to us that the frame last for many seasons being used and abused without having fears of downtube dents and breaks, chainstays falling off or any other issues that might screw up a ride or race weekend. I'm probably biased, but I think we've done a good job of balancing weight and durability for the last couple versions.

We'll be doing further research and testing with the Syndicate next year on both the front and rear, and with the DH1 series coming on, there will be a lot more racing at WC level, so thats great for us from a development standard. It would be fun to see what would happen if regulations were made for frame chassis like motocross that is has to be production spec. Or like Moto GP that give limits on how many [engines] a team can use throughout the season before being penalized. Can't trust the UCI with that type of decision though, so I'm not advocating for it....

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I've never ridden the TR 450 so I can't compare the two. Two things that stand out about my carbon V10, though, are the fit and ease of maintenance. I'm 6'4" and this bike is one of the few that feels like it really fits me (I like larger bikes). Also, this bike has truly been a pleasure to work on. Not that it needs much work.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
its a vpp bike,it will always ride the best,however I dont own a carbon v10,but I hear the laquer of the finish chips easy,and hopefully the rear axle has been taking care of

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
I forgot about the fury. They get first bragging rights, but haven't seen any outside of the pits though.

PsyCro

Chimp
Apr 10, 2011
Here's an interdweeb question, but only for people who have ridden the new V10. I was playing around with 'Linkage' yesterday, and after looking at some of the characteristics of the V10 Carbon i noticed a pretty extreme rearward axle path. Not as much a Jedi for example, but a little more than my Maelstrom which also uses an idler pulley because of the axle path.. obviously there is no such idler on the V10.
For the people who have ridden the bike, and especially for those sensitive to pedal kickback (even though its less important for big ring bikes), are those pedals tuggin' back at ya??

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
zero pedal feedback. i'm coming off of linkage driven single pivot and high/forward single pivot bikes before this and it is a night and day difference.

PsyCro

Chimp
Apr 10, 2011
Just realized i was looking at a pretty bad diagram of my frame in linkage. FWIW discussion wise, the V10 rear axle is going back about the same as other high pivot bikes, so no surprise that 'kickback' isn't more pronounced than i thought it would be. :wacko:
That aside, definitely one of the hottest looking bikes around. One notch under the DeVinci Wilson (imo) :p