Quantcast

v10 Review

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Edited for posterity: I like my new bike, and am excited to ride it, and have nothing of any value to give to any sort of review, real or fake.

But heres my shiney new used bike!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Looks like you got a nicely kitted out rig there, I hope it's a large at your height because the mediums are tiny!

Glad I skipped straight to the picture.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
good point: for all you tldrs: reviews on bicycles that somebody just purchased are funny, and I'm excited about my new bike.

Also, its a large, which I'm happy with, because I like smaller bikes and was worried that the large would be an actual large. Luckily, its only slightly larger then my old medium, which is perfect.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah the large is a good size, sounds like you'll be pretty happy with it. I was thinking about how I'd make it work if I had to go back to one (owned the same frame briefly in 09) and I think I'd throw an 8.5x2.5 in because it'd still have about 9" of travel and be a bit lower and slacker. The adjustment range of the 40 is pretty handy for slackening, but less useful when you don't want to raise the BB (applicable here) which is why I'd go the shock route.

Just an option for the future though, maybe you'll love it as-is.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah the large is a good size, sounds like you'll be pretty happy with it. I was thinking about how I'd make it work if I had to go back to one (owned the same frame briefly in 09) and I think I'd throw an 8.5x2.5 in because it'd still have about 9" of travel and be a bit lower and slacker. The adjustment range of the 40 is pretty handy for slackening, but less useful when you don't want to raise the BB (applicable here) which is why I'd go the shock route.

Just an option for the future though, maybe you'll love it as-is.
These days I'm pretty easy to please - If I have a chance to ride, and the shock goes up and down, I'm a happy camper.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
what's the geo numbers on a short shocked v10.3?

I just finished changing the geo of the IH sunday/fox40 via -2 deg works component head set, it's Bb height is at 14.6 inches, wheelbase at 46.25 inches. It feels nice/comfortable and stable.

i want also to mod the geo on my 2nd bike, 08 white v10.3, (currently with a fox 36 and used as a trail bike).

what are the options in lowering the BB and slackening the head angle?

*short shock? offset bushings, angleset? the max. angle on 1 and 1/8 works component headset is at -1 deg.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I had the opportunity to throw a leg over a V-10 carbon last summer, a bike I had strongly considered purchasing. They ride awesome. Enjoy, and that bike looks pretty sick with the all black look.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd love to get some time on a newer V10. I rode a V10 2 for just a tiny bit of time, but I really didn't like the way it pedaled. Too much going on back there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well I'm pretty happy with it. The last guys settings were pretty wonky, but it hasn't been ridden hard and now that I have the suspension fairly in line with what I like, it feels pretty damn good. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, eliminating all of these bull**** "bumps" that used to give me grief.

Good buy, and I'd recommend one to others!