Quantcast

V10 sizing?

Chachi

Chimp
Apr 13, 2002
I am getting a V10 this season and am having difficulty deciding on a size. I am 6' and everyone is suggesting the large. However, I prefer my bikes smaller and the V10's are already long to begin with. I have been on a medium and it felt long. The bike I came off of was a regular BB7. I tried the large for a year and found it too long. I prefer a quick bike to a stable bike.

On the trail, do the large feel really long? Anybody had trouble with too short of a cockpit on the medium?

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
id say go with a medium, i am 6'3" and the large feels a bit big for my tastes, a medium should be great for you, good luck, and great choice, haha

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Isn't the V-10 get it's length in the chainstays? Aren't the top tubes shorter in comparison to other Dh bikes? Isn't that where the length of the V-10 comes from?

I don't know...that is what I thought.:confused:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Acadian
Med V10 TT = 23.2"
Lg V10 TT = 24.7"
They feal shorter....I have only jumped on a couple so maybe I was missing something.

If the above numbers are true the long V-10 is dangerously close to Old School Rotec status. :D

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by Chachi
I prefer a quick bike to a stable bike.

maybe a V10 isn't gonna be the best choice for ya, they are kinda long, which makes for a more stable bike

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'm 6' and on a med and its just as I like it. Longer than my old Giant (cockpit) but not as long as friend's large frames. I like the bike a little shorter. And it doesn't feel cramped, good room to manuver around. I just need to ride it more - damn crappy tn weather

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
I actually gave up my V10 mainly due to the "man handling" required...other than that extra effort....AWESOME bike. Unbelievable:cool:

There are a lot of bikes out there as long as the med V10 btw. It's the headangle while sagged that makes the V10 feel longer.
But at speed/steeps/gettin' in trouble....:drool::drool:

The med V10 is a reasonably compact ride in reality. (the large size is a HUGE step up though)

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Haven't decided yet Acadian.
I don't race professionally, but certainly do enjoy keeping pace with the Pro times on our local trails:)
I suppose the ONLY reason I have for dropping the V10(it's served me VERY well:lol: )...is the amount of negative travel and maybe a * of headangle or so. I can explain further should anyone need.
Regardless of the amount of travel though....it's all about the wheel path imho:)

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
I'm 6'2 and have ridden a medium V10 for allmost a year now!

I'd definately get a medium frame, i've ridden a large V10 belonging to a friend, and it's really a huge bike compared to mine, feels like a freighttrain...;)

The Tenner is a bike that you have to muscle in the tight areas, it's longish wheelbase makes it a bit more demanding if you come on full speed, and enter tight twisty stuff- but i'm pretty sure a capable rider will make up the "lost" time on the straights and through bumpy rocky stuff, that's the terrain the bike is craving for :D

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I'm 6'2'' and I ride a large. It's a long bike and you have to really throw it around in tight areas, but I have never been dissapointed with the bike. It doesn't feel very large in the cockpit (I have a 50mm stem) but because of the chainstays and slacked head angle the wheelbase is huge. If I were you I would get the med.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by speedster
I'm 6'2'' and I ride a large. It's a long bike and you have to really throw it around in tight areas, but I have never been dissapointed with the bike. It doesn't feel very large in the cockpit (I have a 50mm stem) but because of the chainstays and slacked head angle the wheelbase is huge. If I were you I would get the med.
Well the CS are 17.5 for all the 3 sizes of V10's. Its just the TT that changes dramatically.

A jump of 1.5" from medium to large seems alot, especially as the WB is then 47.2".

Its funny, I have read a fair few posts saying the cockpit of the medium and the large V10 doesnt feel all that long.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Im 5'10 and went with the medium. Just felt right after riding all of them. I usually like small frames, the the small V10 is just way to small for me. I just need a couple more small parts and mine will be ready to roll.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Chachi
I am getting a V10 this season and am having difficulty deciding on a size. I am 6' and everyone is suggesting the large. However, I prefer my bikes smaller and the V10's are already long to begin with. I have been on a medium and it felt long. The bike I came off of was a regular BB7. I tried the large for a year and found it too long. I prefer a quick bike to a stable bike.

On the trail, do the large feel really long? Anybody had trouble with too short of a cockpit on the medium?
I'm 5'11" and I ride a medium. Couldn't be happier w/ the size.