Quantcast

Vagrant and 66?

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I'm building up a size medium Vagrant, and this is going to be my do everything bike. I scored a killer deal on a 2006 66 VF2 (170mm) so I jumped on it. I'm just wondering if the fork is going to be too big for the bike or not? I was considering selling it (like I said I got a killer deal, might be able to make some money) and maybe picking up a used 2007 Talas or Vanilla. What would be the best fit for the Vagrant? Is a 170mm fork too big for the bike?

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
I recently upgraded the Z1 FR III in my Vagrant (Large) to a 66 sl 1.
At 140mm it feels dailed (like it did with the Z1 at the same axle to crown),
at 150 it starts to feel different and at 170 quite weird IMHO...
I specifically picked the Vagrant for beeing a bit longer, yet flickable, the longer travel settings rise the front and make it feel a bit more cramped, stable though, bit like the Kona's of my mates...

Um try it..? You won't mess up the geo to the point where it becomes unrideable, you might like it, maybe I'm just being overly pickey here :D

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
Do it. The Vagrant can use all of that travel in the rough stuff. If the fork is too big, you can always lower it to 130mm or so.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I've got a morphine with an '05 66 on it. It does feel a little weird but I've had no problems with it and the '05's had a 30mm higher axle to crown. Get some low rise bars and run no spacers with an e.13 integrated cup set and I'm sure you'll be fine. That should be about 2" less than what I had which would bring it close to mine with an old 130mm DJ3 that also felt fine.

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
I'd like to correct myself, it runs GREAT at 180 :D
It's just a bit a diff ride, did some rude steep stuf over the weekend, without front brake so had to monstertruck ;-) stuf a bit more than usually.
Should try more bikes perhaps, but in my frame of reference, at 140 it feels like a longish, fast 4x bike, at 180 it just bashes through stuff.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Well I ended up getting a Lyrik U-turn, so now I'll be able to switch from 115 to 160 which should be just about perfect for me.