Quantcast

Vallnord DHI 2013...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
How many races did Gwin do since Val Di sole....?.....Most of the top 10 have raced multiple times since then.....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think your giving Gwinn waaay to much credit it the few months he's be part of the specialized team, and dismissing Brosnan's talent. Don't forget Troy rode behind Hill for a considerable time and has been battling injury until recently.
you're right, I think I misconstrued my thoughts to paper. Basically the little guys are improving behind the big guys, but the big guys are no longer being pushed. I think that's what I was trying to say.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I wonder if people aren't putting enough emphasis on team and team fit. I mean, consider brosnan and fairclough. Fairclough was chasing sam hill and learning from his teammate the whole time and did well. Now he's individual and perhaps can't progress.
Sanwich, concerning Fairclough. I've never riden one, I'm absolutly no pro, you can call me a couch critic if you like, but I don't like the Scott. Something just looks wrong with it. I feel like Scott was so concerned about infriging on someone's patent that they went out in the garage and grabbed a bunch of **** and said,"Thissoolwerk". Another thing is Fairclough has ADD. IMHO he needs to stay off the DJ bike.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Another thing is Fairclough has ADD. IMHO he needs to stay off the DJ bike.
Why do that? Riding bikes is fun to him...

Steve Smith can ride the **** out of dirt jumps and he seems to do okay.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
But Smith is a fvcking workhorse and a complete beast physically.
Brendawg is a bit lazy imo. But still one of my favourite rider to watch. And naturally fast. If he only had the work ethics like some other guys...

I don't like the Scott. Something just looks wrong with it. I feel like Scott was so concerned about infriging on someone's patent that they went out in the garage and grabbed a bunch of **** and said,"Thissoolwerk"
Tell that the junior in the team. Also, the girls are doing alright on it.

Maybe using the longer CS settings...;)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sanwich, concerning Fairclough. I've never riden one, I'm absolutly no pro, you can call me a couch critic if you like, but I don't like the Scott. Something just looks wrong with it. I feel like Scott was so concerned about infriging on someone's patent that they went out in the garage and grabbed a bunch of **** and said,"Thissoolwerk". Another thing is Fairclough has ADD. IMHO he needs to stay off the DJ bike.
You do realize that it just looks different and in terms of leverage curve and pivot placement it isn't really a sharp turn from what others have been doing for quite some time but yeah the linkage looks different so it rides bad.

As for Fairclough I think there is a difference between looking fast and beeing fast. That is his problem. Everyone comments on how fast he looks but he rarely has results to back it up. I recently wondered about where top pros gain more speed and I wonder if he is just worse at places when you need to carry speed. When it's ninja lines and being creative he is good but the more a track that needs you to commit few errors and carry speed he gets worse results

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Wonder when Gwin is going to crack out the 29er, you do all realise you're being trolled right? Gwin and Spec are deliberately sandbagging, when he rolls out the clown bike it'll be Specialized final and greatest marketing wet dream evaaa, why else do you think they made longer stays....

Last edited:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
If AG wins on a STATUS in the WC that will be a marketing disaster, that's why spez does not force it.

SH: I was specialized.
AG: I am pressurized. (to win on a demo)

CRC is happy now, imagine if SH wins this years world's
fanboys would buy online for a NP pulse world champ edition.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You do realize that it just looks different and in terms of leverage curve and pivot placement it isn't really a sharp turn from what others have been doing for quite some time but yeah the linkage looks different so it rides bad.
:stupid:

It's a mid-high single pivot with a big rising rate linkage and awesome geometry. The only real difference between it and the bike that won is a bit of hydroforming, when you break it down into its elements. Plus it was at least partially designed by an RM member who actually rides, so it can't be bad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wonder when Gwin is going to crack out the 29er, you do all realise you're being trolled right? Gwin and Spec are deliberately sandbagging, when he rolls out the clown bike it'll be Specialized final and greatest marketing wet dream evaaa, why else do you think they made longer stays....
not going to lie, that thought crossed my mind. The only catch is that there's no world where gwin losing is better for specialized. If he does even better on a 29er, that's one thing, but losing on any team bike is a loss for the organization.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'd just love to know Martin Whiteley's take on the AG situation. Not in an "I told you so" sort of way, but because he has worked with the guy for a couple of very successful years. I wonder if even AG would be interested to know what Whiteley thinks.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:stupid:

It's a mid-high single pivot with a big rising rate linkage and awesome geometry. The only real difference between it and the bike that won is a bit of hydroforming, when you break it down into its elements. Plus it was at least partially designed by an RM member who actually rides, so it can't be bad.
The pivot is slightly higher but yeah. Maybe it's the chainstay adjustment that makes it bad? ;)

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
As for Fairclough I think there is a difference between looking fast and beeing fast. That is his problem. Everyone comments on how fast he looks but he rarely has results to back it up. I recently wondered about where top pros gain more speed and I wonder if he is just worse at places when you need to carry speed. When it's ninja lines and being creative he is good but the more a track that needs you to commit few errors and carry speed he gets worse results
I hear you there. Gee looks tortus slow at times, but then Warner yells out his split time and you say Gee he's really moving. Someone earlier spoken of Fairclough's line selection and I think that's where looks fast comes from. Because you always look fast when the bike is bouncing like crazy underneath you. My couch critic observations are that Fairclough doesn't completely squash his jumps or doesn't seen like he is focused on getting the tires down. Gee, Gwin, Hill, Minnaar, Peat, they squash everything, just clear the obstacle and limit their hang time.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Brendan came 13th last weekend. 13th out of 80 of the fastest riders in the world. He was 5.8 seconds off the winning time, and only a second and change slower than 'the fastest guy in the world'.... That means when you're at the trails, and your local ripper that shows up and is so insanely fast it beggars belief, can't hold a candle to Brendan.

That means, he's faster than every single person in Poland, Portugal, Italy, and most of the world actually. He's probably more than twice as fast as every single person posting on this board.

But let's criticize him and his bike, because that makes total sense.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Never underestimate the power of the thighs though. Torque is a bigger factor than we'd like to acknowledge when it comes to World Cup prowess. The amount of power other guys are tossing down on the cranks is amazing when you see them sprint live in person.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Brendan came 13th last weekend. 13th out of 80 of the fastest riders in the world. He was 5.8 seconds off the winning time, and only a second and change slower than 'the fastest guy in the world'.... That means when you're at the trails, and your local ripper that shows up and is so insanely fast it beggars belief, can't hold a candle to Brendan.

That means, he's faster than every single person in Poland, Portugal, Italy, and most of the world actually. He's probably more than twice as fast as every single person posting on this board.

But let's criticize him and his bike, because that makes total sense.

??? Dude we are speaking about WC regulars like Warner, Sven Martin and Cunny commenting on how fast he looks. Not how fast he looks on local trails. On local trails any top 80 pro looks insanely fast.

We are also not criticizing him, only speculating why said people always say he looks fast but doesn't get the results so stop being butthurt we said your mancrush is slower than you want.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
??? Dude we are speaking about WC regulars like Warner, Sven Martin and Cunny commenting on how fast he looks. Not how fast he looks on local trails. On local trails any top 80 pro looks insanely fast.

We are also not criticizing him, only speculating why said people always say he looks fast but doesn't get the results so stop being butthurt we said your mancrush is slower than you want.
I would have respectfully replied stating my quote was about the bike and his "ADD" and the blatant criticisms (maybe that word has a separate connotation over there), but your last predictable add on about 'results' (13th place is a decent 'result') and accusations just shows me the transparent trap you set to get me into a argument with a well known RM troll. Carry on.

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
As for Fairclough I think there is a difference between looking fast and beeing fast.

When it's ninja lines and being creative he is good but the more a track that needs you to commit few errors and carry speed he gets worse results
At the weekend he didn't look fast, and seemed to only be hitting sheep lines. I'm surprised that he got 13th, but he didn't look in the same league as the top 10 imo

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I would have respectfully replied stating my quote was about the bike and his "ADD" and the blatant criticisms (maybe that word has a separate connotation over there), but your last predictable add on about 'results' (13th place is a decent 'result') and accusations just shows me the transparent trap you set to get me into a argument with a well known RM troll. Carry on.
I won't shy away from the ADD comment and that was a criticism. If you were to ask anyone, " Would you rather be good at two things or be great at one?"They would pick the later. How do you think Fairclough feels about being 13th? That dude wants to win, if not, be on the podium. After the 2010 season Fairclough was picked to be the young gun that was going be a force in the up coming season. We all know what happened next....Gwinn.

2edgy4me

brennan was less than a second back from peat, so i don't know if squashing jumps has anything to do with it.
Come on Sandwich, if he sqashes a few jumps or pumps instead of pops, maybe he gets the tires down. Gets more traction, gets on the pedals quicker, set up to be in a position to take the fastest line, and maybe, just maybe his not a second behind a 38 yr old. But hey, I'm just talking out my a$$.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Fairclough feels about being 13th?
You keep forgeting that 1st place is only one and many compete for it. Sam Hill has some difficulty as well.

I look at bigger picture and to ride and have fun is alright. You dont have torture yourself and get worked out that you have to quit 30 years old. Peat knows how to have fun and ride "safe". You dont have hurt yourself and waste "sport career" on that stupid 1 second accident.

Riders have so many different personalities, approachs, attitudes.

I like riders whose eyes are burning. Like Hart, Remi. While Bosnan looked like Mom's boy while being very technical. And so on. I dont get impression that Bryceland is focused, neither is Fairlough.

I think Luici, Samkinsop, Hart, Brosnan, Steve, Donalds will dominate the top of DH when they are young still. But one never know when other young riders pop up from Junior and take over podium.

It is fun to watch them nevertheless.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dudes... I wouldn't call Brendan a "young gun" anymore... he won juniors in... 2006 was it? Was on G-Cross Honda with Minnaar in 2007... He's been around a while now.

As to why he's not higher in the rankings now than he was 4 years ago... I can't say. But I do find you guys have been getting a little virulent and personal in your attacks. Just caus' he (and others) aren't posting their training regimes doesn't mean he's not training hard. It just means we don't know about it. And it's not caus' he has a fun personality and likes to goof off that he's not serious about the racing... I think you're drawing conclusions without knowing the facts.... that's not usually a recipe for an informed opinion... I think that also goes for Gwin, seems like there's a lot of speculating with very thin information going on. I don't know about others, but I try and keep what I post on-line the same as what I'd say or ask someone in person...

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
With Fairclough's 13th place finish, I hope that gives him even if just a micro's worth, confidence to bring it at MSA. Id be more than stoked if he gets on the box and show everyone he still has it.

And speaking of MSA, maybe will Hill win, finally? He won champs in 2010, track should be good to him, no?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Dudes... I wouldn't call Brendan a "young gun" anymore... he won juniors in... 2006 was it? Was on G-Cross Honda with Minnaar in 2007... He's been around a while now.

As to why he's not higher in the rankings now than he was 4 years ago... I can't say. But I do find you guys have been getting a little virulent and personal in your attacks. Just caus' he (and others) aren't posting their training regimes doesn't mean he's not training hard. It just means we don't know about it. And it's not caus' he has a fun personality and likes to goof off that he's not serious about the racing... I think you're drawing conclusions without knowing the facts.... that's not usually a recipe for an informed opinion... I think that also goes for Gwin, seems like there's a lot of speculating with very thin information going on. I don't know about others, but I try and keep what I post on-line the same as what I'd say or ask someone in person...
word!

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid

He has made a bunch of comments in the past about not training and/or not liking to train.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Exactly. Little to no difficult training? Top 15 finish in WC? Getting paid to travel the world and ride bikes in the sweetest sports? Sounds like he's the one who's winning at life!

He has made a bunch of comments in the past about not training and/or not liking to train.
Thats even more impressive. Having fun, no muscles and 13th. Not many do it :)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yeah, but I'm dubious about those claims. you don't get to be where he is without a little work. My feeling is he's cultivating a public persona...

either way,
Sounds like he's the one who's winning at life!
looking forward to MSA. I'm even going to be in the area on holidays. I have to drive home on Saturday, so I'll miss the race, but I might head out on thursday or friday to watch practice and/or qualies...

Last edited:

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
2edgy4me

brennan was less than a second back from peat, so i don't know if squashing jumps has anything to do with it.
Just because I like beating a dead horse. PB has provided video analysis of what I'm trying to say about BF. My point is all the way at the end at 3:37, but the whole thing is enlightening and shows you the technique difference that gain a racer valuable tenths of a second.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
that was a few years ago , back when all the cool kids wanted to be like SamHill , all loose , smashing **** on the way down...Now people have gone a lot more serious about their training since Gwin pretty much forced everybody to step up their game.Pedalling hard, craving turns, pumping, loading ,unloading the bike, squashing jumps is where its at now and one has to be very fit to go all out, working the bike non stop for 5 minutes.

I guarantee you that Brendan trains hard to compete at the level...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
It must be awesome looking through the results and seeing you were effectively beaten by your dad, what a legend Steve Peat is.
This. I say this to my buddy after basically every WC. Think of all the younger, hungry dudes who are busting their balls and loosing to 39 year old Steve Peat Sunday after Sunday. If he wasn't obviously the coolest dude on the entire WC circuit, everyone would hate him.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm wondering who you mean....From memory Peat has ridden for:

kona; but they were either fully rigid or hardtails

Saracen; which were crap, but that was at the start of his career

GT; the DHi was a pretty special bike, I think he was on Rockshox for those years too. Maybe you mean the lobo he raced on?

Orange; I know they're not overly popular in the US, but they're not bad at all

Santacruz; Alu and Carbon V10s are hardly poor bikes