Quantcast

Vegan Diet and Energy?

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
My allergies are going out of control so I'm supposed to go on a "diet" to eliminate all foods that could be causing a reaction as well as reduce stress. The doc suggested eliminating all animal products, spicy foods (esp. cinnamon), citrus, tomato products, highly acidic foods, coffee, wheat and trying to stick with a low protein, high carb (whole grain) diet. The trouble is that's all stuff I consume regularly and enjoy. I also find I don't have enough energy when I eliminate the animal protein. Does anyone have any recipes that taste good, aren't too spicy and still give you plenty of energy to bike? Or resources where I could find recipes/ideas? What's the best way to keep energy levels up while limiting protein?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by bikebabe
My allergies are going out of control so I'm supposed to go on a "diet" to eliminate all foods that could be causing a reaction as well as reduce stress. The doc suggested eliminating all animal products, spicy foods (esp. cinnamon), citrus, tomato products, highly acidic foods, coffee, wheat and trying to stick with a low protein, high carb (whole grain) diet. The trouble is that's all stuff I consume regularly and enjoy. I also find I don't have enough energy when I eliminate the animal protein. Does anyone have any recipes that taste good, aren't too spicy and still give you plenty of energy to bike? Or resources where I could find recipes/ideas? What's the best way to keep energy levels up while limiting protein?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
So are you alowed to have protein, just not animal? Or minimal protein all together?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i dont know if bmxman will see this but you should try pm'ing him. i know he's at least a veggie, but i think he's a vegan. he's pretty knowledgable about all this nutrition stuff too.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
If you're like me and there's always at least one day a week when cooking just isn't any fun...

Go to your local grocery store...health food section....frozen foods - The Amy's food stuff is awesome. I'll often eat one of the rice bowls for either lunch or dinner. Usually they have Tofu in them, but they are extremely tasty. There's also the Amy's bean wraps (you know, black beans and cheese in a tortilla).

Also, if you need the energy from protein and get the snackies like I do some of the time try Soy Crisps. If you're not to have the protein stuff, try the Quaker Rice Crisps. Yum.

As for recipes, you can always do something like steam up rice, cook up a can of black bean soup or lentil soup (I like the progresso kind), throw in tomatoes, spices, and other veggies to make a big hearty stew out of it, and then ladle some of it over the rice. Usually quick to cook and very tasty.

Also I've found that looking in Asian and Middle-Eastern cookbooks you can find awesome recipes that don't include meat. :)

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Snacks
So are you alowed to have protein, just not animal? Or minimal protein all together?
I can have protein but it's not supposed to be animal protein and I have to be conscious about the amount of protein. Most of what I eat is supposed to be complex carbs, fruits, veggies---which is actually what I usually eat but if I don't have a piece of chicken or fish every once in a while I feel drained. The last 2 days I haven't even felt like getting on my bike which is highly unusual.

Thanks Jr_B and Laura....I'll have to start eating more beans and lentils I guess. As I browsed through trader joe's yesterday I noticed that there are also a lot more soy products out than there used to be.

And I definitely have the problem of not feeling like cooking more than once a week :).

Thank you!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Bocca Burger on a toasted whole wheat bun :thumb:

Morning Star Corn Dogs...yummy.

My fav is cook up some brown rice, lentils and steamed broccoli. Add some lite soy sauce, mix together and dinner is served!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ranch Style Lentil Casserole

4 cups cooked lentils
1 lb. ground veg. crumbles….(Morning Star or Boca)
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 cup ketchup
1 teas. EACH mustard and vinegar
1 cup water

Brown crumbles. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I make this on the weekend and freeze it in single serving containers for the following week.

Quick Black Bean Chili

1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 28oz. can plum tomatoes, chopped
2 teas. chili pepper
Pinch cayenne….or to taste
2 cans black beans

Combine all ingredients, except the beans in large pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans and cook 5 more minutes.

May add 1 cup long cooking rice and simmer for 20 minutes instead of 10.

Quill

Chimp
Jan 27, 2003
You shouldn't have energy problems w/ a vegan diet unless you are also trying to lose weight (this is a problem with ANY weight-loss regimen). However, the foods that you are giving up are more calorie dense than those you are substituting, so you might unintentionally be restriciting your calories. There is also a tendency to eat fewer calories when the fare is less appealing. Make sure you eat a couple hours before workouts and as soon as possible afterwards. Finally, I would tally up a typical day's total protein intake and make sure that you are getting a MINIMUM of 0.5 grams/lb of body weight (0.75 would be better). I assume the concern with the protein is not that you are allergic to it (in which case you would COMPLETLY eliminate that particular type of protein) but that an excess somehow supports the allergic response. If your doctor wants you below this level of intake for any length of time I'd find another doctor.