Quantcast

Vegitarian *not vegan* recipie request

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
For various reasons I will not discuss here (perhaps in P&WN) I happen to believe we, as a people, eat way to much meat. Not looking to eliminate it completely, probably just 1 day a week, but I need more veggie recipes than I have currently. Anybody got any good ones? Were not picky eaters so any regional flavor is okay.

Thanks!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
What kind of food do you like? You can turn almost anything vegetarian really.

I make this killer vegetarian sheppards (sp?) pie.

What you need is diced veggies, whatever you like. I use carrots, celery, onions, beets, mushrooms, garlic. About 3-4 cups for 4 people.

Sautee garlic and onions, add in everything else. Sautee it all for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat. I like to brown everything, gives it a better taste. Add a couple of tablespoons tomato paste, some water (until you get the soupy consistency that you like. Add worcheshire to taste, salt and pepper. Let all of this simmer until the veggies are cooked.

While this is simmering, make mashed potatoes however you like. I make colcannon for this (mashed potatoes and greens) but you can make cheesy mashed potatoes or whatever. Put the veggie mix in a baking dish, top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 350-400 until the potatoes start to brown and the caserole is bubbly. voila. Meat free.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
What kind of food do you like? You can turn almost anything vegetarian really.

I make this killer vegetarian sheppards (sp?) pie.

What you need is diced veggies, whatever you like. I use carrots, celery, onions, beets, mushrooms, garlic. About 3-4 cups for 4 people.

Sautee garlic and onions, add in everything else. Sautee it all for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat. I like to brown everything, gives it a better taste. Add a couple of tablespoons tomato paste, some water (until you get the soupy consistency that you like. Add worcheshire to taste, salt and pepper. Let all of this simmer until the veggies are cooked.

While this is simmering, make mashed potatoes however you like. I make colcannon for this (mashed potatoes and greens) but you can make cheesy mashed potatoes or whatever. Put the veggie mix in a baking dish, top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 350-400 until the potatoes start to brown and the caserole is bubbly. voila. Meat free.
That sounds good!:thumb: