Quantcast

Vet pro class?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
too funny, i was looking at some of the bmx racing for this year and they have a ton of classes for us old dudes. i just wonder how big the field would be, at the local races you might have like 2 people to race

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
if i was you, i'd close registration NOW! all three of you would get on the podium at EVERY race! wouldn't that be cool?
:D

DhUrbaner

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
I would also be interested. I think this would motivate me to race more, being that I have a baby coming. It would be a complete different vibe at the race aswell. as most Vet pro riders have been friends for a while now. I hope to see this class! Im tired of racing those young factory bucks!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The whole point of racing the pro class is you get to race against the fastest guys straight up with no age classes. If you want to race people your age and the current crop of top pros is too crazy fast, downgrade to Cat 1. It's actually an ego boost. I let my license slide and had to race Cat 1 most of last summer and it felt great to win every race.

When I'm no longer competitive in pro I'll happily downgrade back to Cat 1. "Vet Pro" just sounds like an oxymoron. I'd rather call myself a "retired pro", an amateur who now competes for fun.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I think the general Idea is to have older former pros have a place to compete,and still be fun,without having to go back and destroy the cat 1 classes.It makes it no longer fun for cat 1,either.
Exactly...look at the Fontana race results and it's pretty EZ to see where it fits.

You have guys who would be 15+ in pro placing....but were 10 seconds faster than the expert winner.... Seems like good enough reason to have another class in there.

Doesn't moto have a vet pro class?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Of course sandbagging is an ego boost... That's why people do it.Congrats on all your "wins"
It's not sandbagging if USAC makes you race Cat 1:) Since eliminating Semi-Pro, Cat 1 is supposed to be more competitive so it shouldn't be considered sandbagging if a 40 year old former pro wants to race in it. Remember in motocross it's just called "Vet", not "Vet Pro" and like Cat 1 Vet it's open to amateurs of that age group. I think you guys just don't want to lose the "Pro" tag;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I've been thinking for a while that a vintage class would be fun.
Something around '03 or earlier.
Lots of people who were fast;
A- Still have their bikes
B- Don't have the time to get fit enough nor have enough to prove to race a modern bike at a bagillion miles an hour.

A couple of us here in the Northeast are planning on just scoring ourselves separately in our Pro and Cat1 races just for ****s and giggles.

It works pretty well for moto.
It's also fun as hell to collect old **** for cheap and actually ride it...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
If that is the case then most of the 20 somethings in the Pro field should drop back to Cat 1. Hahaha
I think a more appropriate name for the class would be a "Legends" class.
Maybe 40+ and some sort of past prominence in "Pro class" would be necessary to compete. It would be really cool to see some of the past guys come back as well. It would at least school some of these youngsters on who the sport's daddy's were.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Geeze. Just race yourself. :rolleyes: I have always raced myself and I know if I did my best. I don't need to be 1, 2, or 3 to know that. I think they should have 3 classes. Am, Pro, and Junior. Suck it up you Nancy.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Geeze. Just race yourself. :rolleyes: I have always raced myself and I know if I did my best. I don't need to be 1, 2, or 3 to know that. I think they should have 3 classes. Am, Pro, and Junior. Suck it up you Nancy.
^
This

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Will this ever happen ? I know it gets bandied about from time to time.I would think it would be one of the bigger classes.The vet classes in moto are some of the bigger ones.Plus my ego wouldn't have to go to Cat1.
haha, ego-wise that's why I'm not leaving Pro. I don't want to race Cat 1...again :P

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
FWIW

Diablo

Pro=you making a living from it or your stupid fast
Am=everybody else
Intro=first year ONLY

under 19, over 19, over 35

Here comes the problem, or people say it is...

Pros are pros, they have no problems, the other 2 classes (and age groups) all have the 1-3 fast guys that kill it, but are nowhere near the class above. If you are top of am, your probably not anywhere near pro, top of intro, you will probably fit into AM, but thats because your 'kicked out' after a year.This is true in my class, and the junior class, a few guys kill it and are accused of sandbagging, the rest are just told to ride faster. 3 Catagories isnt bad, but there isnt much transition causing alot of complaints.

Last edited:

cbdher

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
This is the response i received from USAC.

I am the chair of the MTB Board of Trustees, the group elected to create the rules for mountain biking. For 2010, we changed the categories and eliminated Semi- Pro. This was done to create a clear distinction between a Professional and an Amateur. Moving forward, we are committed to making Professional a business category versus an ability category. A Professional gets paid to race their bikes, the better they are, the more they are paid. The amount is based on a business decision by a sponsor/ team.

If someone wants to aspire to the Professional ranks, they race against all the other Professionals in their sport. Conversely, if they feel that they no longer have the ability to race professional, they either retire altogether or retire to the amateur ranks. There is no distinction among Professionals based on their age. This is the philosophy we are committed to.

As such, a Pro Vet (30+) DH category does not fit in to this model.

Thanks for your interest in the sport.

Lisa Nye-Salladin

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Yes. A vanity class for people over 34 is exactly what downhill mountain bike racing needs. The one day extra outside of a uterus that separates a 34 year old from a 35 year old is significant.