Quantcast

vibram five fingers

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I don't think that they would be good for either. They are good for running, and maybe light hiking, but biking? I know the argument.. people were bare-foot for eons.. yeah, but we also didn't have pavement everywhere back then. Or we weren't standing on hard metal pedals for hours on end. I would think you would want something with a little padding for vibration control.

Then again, what do I know... I ride clipless pedals.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think they'd hurt like hell on a bike. The hard sole of your shoe spreads out and reduces the impact of the (comparatively) small surface area of the pedal/pins on your foot.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I use them for running. They work well for that but took some getting used to in terms of having to modify my stride. I don't think they would really work for riding; you'd feel all the pins on your pedals and they're very flexible. Also, like w00dy alluded to, there's really not much protection at all for your feet (soles, toes, sides).

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I love mine and would consider using them for a lot of things, after pedaling around with them in the parking lot I had the same thought as you about using them for biking. I then had a vision of me smashing my foot on a rock at speed. That desire quickly ended.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
please dont wear these for biking you are gonna break one of the 200+ bones in your foot, guaranteed.
Umm, there are 26 bones in each foot.

I can't imagine that wearing those shoes for biking would be comfortable or help in any way. It would probably be slightly better than riding in flip flops.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I wouldn't use it for riding or hiking. Light trail running maybe, but that's about it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'd use them for playing around in the surf... that is about it.
they would actually be good for getting in/ouf of the ocean on rocky coral encrusted beaches (and then being able to still swim decently)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
absolutely not. They're good for running on treadmills and maybe a very smooth path. In anything but the KSO treks, you'll feel every small pebble outside of rough pavement. I have KSOs, and they're good for a lot of things, but I would have a hard time picturing trail running in them, let alone riding.

Grab yourself a pair of fivetens or good skate shoes. You want toe protection and a rigid sole, fivefingers have neither.