Quantcast

Vidalia Onions

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Does everyone have access to the jewel of all root vegetables. I just bought my first of the season and I have to say, I don't think I'll ever be able to live without these things. They are so sweet I swear I could eat them like an apple, and I think I may before the summer is up. I have officially eaten onion in every meal for the two weeks that I have had them.

mmmmm, so good.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMMM Vidalias are awesome. I also like Wadmalaw sweets. When I can find either I make a carmalized onion tart that is friggin tasty!! Cook down a huge pile of sliced onions (like overflow your biggest pan) in butter with a little salt over med heat until they are dark brown and basically melted. Remove to a bowl and let cool for a bit, then mix in three or four beaten eggs, a little cream, S&P, maybe a little parm. Pour this into a pre-baked tart crust and bake for about half an hour until brown on top. Cut into wedges and serve warm with a green salad. Yum!!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
OGRipper said:
MMMM Vidalias are awesome. I also like Wadmalaw sweets. When I can find either I make a carmalized onion tart that is friggin tasty!! Cook down a huge pile of sliced onions (like overflow your biggest pan) in butter with a little salt over med heat until they are dark brown and basically melted. Remove to a bowl and let cool for a bit, then mix in three or four beaten eggs, a little cream, S&P, maybe a little parm. Pour this into a pre-baked tart crust and bake for about half an hour until brown on top. Cut into wedges and serve warm with a green salad. Yum!!
If I'm not racing this weekend I'll be making that. Damn it sounds tasty! I love onions!

The Ito

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Not sure if I've had the vidalias, but Walla Walla sweets are the best onions I've ever had. When I lived in the town of Walla Walla you could pick up 10 pound bags of them from roadside stands when they were in season for a few bucks. I do eat them straight like an apple. Sauteed in butter they are soo good. :drool:

walla walla sweets

Can you find these much outside of the northwest?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ito said:
If I'm not racing this weekend I'll be making that. Damn it sounds tasty! I love onions!

The Ito
Yeah it's killer. Just don't rush the onions, I usually give them almost an hour to cook down. Then be sure to let them cool for 10 - 15 mins or you will scramble the eggs. And like when you cook with spinach, you will start with a huge pile and end up with a lot less, so don't be shy.

You can take it over the top by adding some crumbled bacon and/or more cheese - a little cheese on top browns nicely too. But honestly, that stuff just muddies up the pure sweet oniony goodness.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
My older brother used to live in Vidalia. I used to get them fresh from him all the time. They'd come packaged in old stockings. So sweet you could eat 'em like apples.

Mmm, mmm.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
OGRipper said:
This sounds absolutely heavenly. We'll be camping this weekend but once i have access to an oven again, I am making this.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I love Onion Tart - a version i picked up in Alabama went like this:

Ingredients:

• 1 9" Pie Crust
• 2 tablespoons Butter
• 2 1/2 pounds Vidalia, Texas Sweets, Walla Walla, or other sweet onion, sliced (about 7 to 8 cups sliced)
• 1 large Red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
• 3/4 teaspoon dried leaf Thyme, crumbled
• 1/8 teaspoon ground Black Pepper

Prep:

Roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Press crust into a 10-inch tart pan or 9-inch pie plate. If a pie plate is used, crimp edges. In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add onions, red bell pepper, salt, thyme, and black pepper.Cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 15 minutes.

Place onion mixture in prepared pie crust. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes, until pie crust and the onions are golden, about 40 to 45 minutes.

Don't use Green Bell Peppers - they're too bitter. Duh.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody said:
I love Onion Tart - a version i picked up in Alabama went like this: <snip>
Nice one! I never use precise measurements like that. You can see from my "recipes" that I usually go with things like "a huge pile" of this or "some" of that. Works for me but makes it hard for others to follow.

One thing though: I would suggest partially baking the crust for 10 - 15 mins and then letting it cool a bit before adding the filling. When I don't it tends to get mushy on the bottom and the filling will be done before the crust is fully cooked. That's what I meant by "pre-baked" crust, I should have been more clear.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
<nip&tuck>
One thing though: I would suggest partially baking the crust for 10 - 15 mins and then letting it cool a bit before adding the filling. When I don't it tends to get mushy on the bottom and the filling will be done before the crust is fully cooked. That's what I meant by "pre-baked" crust, I should have been more clear.
Oh, absolutely. I think they have it on the 'cooking instructions' on the boxes they come in, but i could be wrong. I don't have any on hand to refer to just at the moment...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
laura said:
Are you going to post it or what? they may be out of season before you get around to it.
Sorry. Hopefully you can still get 'em. Here it is:

1 cup butter
1-3/4 lbs sweet onions thinly sliced
2t sugar
1-1/2t salt
1-3/4c heavy cream
6T chopped chives
black pepper
fresh parmesan

Cook onions+sugar+salt in butter for 10 minutes on med/low heat. Reduce heat and cook for ~20 minutes more until onions become a carmel-colored paste. Stir cream & simmer briefly. Add chives and pour over pasta immediately. Serve with fresh ground pepper & parm.