Quantcast

Video Game Monkeys

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Coming from a PC guy, the Xbox 360 is great for a console. I'm on the PC more, and have more games for it, but the 360 is fun as hell.
I just can't do the thumb thing. I need a mouse an keyboard. Maybe it's from how I grew up playing with a real joystick, or a keyboard. I use a simple (8 button?) game pad for FIFA Soccer, but I can't use the thumb sticks and stuff.

I'm a killer shot with a mouse, I fall off cliffs trying to play Halo with a controller.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I just can't do the thumb thing. I need a mouse an keyboard. Maybe it's from how I grew up playing with a real joystick, or a keyboard. I use a simple (8 button?) game pad for FIFA Soccer, but I can't use the thumb sticks and stuff.

I'm a killer shot with a mouse, I fall off cliffs trying to play Halo with a controller.
theres a company that makes a keyboard like device and a mouse to use with the PS3...im trying to find it now...........

edit: its called the FragFX
http://www.splitfish.com/?uid=4nkpfqinh2cvv3t0

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
theres a company that makes a keyboard like device and a mouse to use with the PS3...im trying to find it now...........

edit: its called the FragFX
http://www.splitfish.com/?uid=4nkpfqinh2cvv3t0
Thats a thumb stick with a mouse. I tried for a year to play Halo with all the Army dudes in my old unit (all they did in Kuwait) and I'm just too accustomed to W as forward.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
W....T....F.....?!?!??

Maybe if they hadn't spent so much time rendering fighter planes flying overhead, NASCAR races and Rally Car Racing they might have COME OUT WITH IT ALREADY!!! Seriously, WTF? It's almost as if they figured that since they were so late with it they might as well be even later and try to shove more stuff in it.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Thats a thumb stick with a mouse. I tried for a year to play Halo with all the Army dudes in my old unit (all they did in Kuwait) and I'm just too accustomed to W as forward.
I hear ya'. A mouse and keyboard is a much better solution to movement, but I'm down with the controller too. In fact I play GRID on my pc with the 360 controller.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
W....T....F.....?!?!??

Maybe if they hadn't spent so much time rendering fighter planes flying overhead, NASCAR races and Rally Car Racing they might have COME OUT WITH IT ALREADY!!! Seriously, WTF? It's almost as if they figured that since they were so late with it they might as well be even later and try to shove more stuff in it.
You GT guys really should just buy a 360 and get the Forza series. PS3 = 600 dollars of fail.:crazy:

now that looks awesome. Yea PC games!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You GT guys really should just buy a 360 and get the Forza series. PS3 = 600 dollars of fail.:crazy:

now that looks awesome. Yea PC games!
PS3 hasn't been that expensive for a while. You best get with the times.

Currently, the most expensive is the $500 bundle and that's with the 160gig HD and a game.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just think the force feedback wheels on the PC are way better. Not to mention I don't have anywhere to mount a wheel in my living room if I had a wheel. Driving games without a wheel suck.

Need for Speed on the Wii is sort of cool, but the whole buzz controller thing makes no sense to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well sure prices have come down, they always do. If you wanted to wait 3 years to pick one up
Like I did :D I had no need for either until just recently. Liz and I got a 61" HDTV with our tax returns. When I was living in SoCal my old roommate had a 360 and I had a Wii, so we didn't really need a PS3, seeing as how we had a standard def TV.

But overall, the PS3 is a better piece of hardware IMO. It's going to have a longer life cycle than the 360. Microsoft took a gamble on having HD-DVD, and it lost. Not only that, but that capability was an add-on peripheral (more $$). Who knows if they'll ever see a Blu-Ray Peripheral. So as of right now, its limited to DVD's, which is a big drawback, as they are less than 25% the capacity of the smallest BD disc (25 gigs for a single layer, 50 gigs for dual layer. The technology has the potential to expand up to 200 gigs per disc, which from what I've read TDK has already achieved). That's a lot of space to make a lot of game.

Also, PS3 is forward compatible with 1440p. Which means PS3 will still be relevant when the next wave of higher - high def TV's become available to the average consumer. As far as I'm aware, the 360 does not have this capability.

To me at least, this adds up to the PS3 being a better long term investment.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I just think the force feedback wheels on the PC are way better. Not to mention I don't have anywhere to mount a wheel in my living room if I had a wheel. Driving games without a wheel suck.

Need for Speed on the Wii is sort of cool, but the whole buzz controller thing makes no sense to me.
I've always thought about getting a wheel set up, but like you said I don't really have a spot for it. Plus I do like controllers for driving games so it works for me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think driving games with a wheel is actually harder. especially the ones with a high lock to lock. with a remote theres not that much movement required on the joystick to move the car

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i think driving games with a wheel is actually harder. especially the ones with a high lock to lock. with a remote theres not that much movement required on the joystick to move the car
I guess I don't see the point in a driving game without a wheel. I don't consider GTA a driving game, so driving with the keyboard isn't a big deal. At least on the Wii it's like having a wheel.

A wheel without feedback is pointless, too.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
W....T....F.....?!?!??

Such is the story with every Gran Turismo. They always push their games out.