Quantcast

Vp-fre evil DRS issue

ASH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2003
I have a Vp-free set up with 128mm bb and truvativ cranks with a plain jane xt der have trouble getting my evil DRS to shift smooth, i'm running a 24t/40t chainring setup anyone running this combo if so with any luck, or should I scrap it and run smaller rings? I had a 22t/36t on my kona worked great figured I give the 24/40 a shot.
Thanks for any input.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
you do have the 40T drs right? yeah dumb Q, but i had to ask it. other then that give us more details and/or pics and we'll try to help out.
plane jane = non E-type? check for interferince between the evil back plate and der.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Evil does have great customer service and you'll get an answer or two before the end of the day.

I have an Evil DRS on my VP-Free and I had to trim, mill, and shim it to get it to rotate further up. I have never had problems with shifting, however, and run a 36-26 combination. I am looking for a 22 tooth to change to for the epic cliff-climbs; the 26 is just barely cutting it for me.

I have a shimano non-E derailleur, but it's an XTR.

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
I'm running a 26-38 with a DRS with the saint derailleur set up for the VP-Free driveline (57 mm I think, but don't bash me if I'm off by a millimeter or two). We spaced the DRS bashplate out far enough to tuck the derailleur in behind it. It shifts great, no rub on the derailleur, and I'm not dropping any chains. It's worked great.

ASH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2003
I have the 40t model, it shifts ok some of the time and very sluggish at other points, I make it a point to not shift under a load. There seems to be no interference either with back plate or the bash ring. Back plate rotation in not quite what I would like but seems to have addresed above and the evil site says it's ok to take a little to help in this matter. I figured it might be too big a gap or a crappy der... ie not strong enough.
Should I trim the bash ring if I drop down to a 38t ring?

ASH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2003
You were correct about the support at e-13,
very quick relpy to my email very helpfull.
I tend to stay away from emailing companies for support it is ussually days untill you hear from them if at all.
Thanks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ash, glad the fine folks at e13 have helped you out. I run a 22-36 on my free, it shifts great. One important thing to remember is that the truvativ bb spacer should go against the BB shell, not outside the e13 plate. By spacing out the guide, the roller lines up with the chainrings better and you get a little more room to rotate the guide. I also recommend taking a little material off the inner (plastic) part of the guide - that will also allow a little more rotation. Lastly, if you continue to have issues there is some related information on the SCB website and you will usually get a quick response if you call their tech support.