Quantcast

Wade Simmons coming to N*

Johnny

Chimp
May 20, 2004
East Bay
I saw this at another fourm. I am not sure if the author is planning on posting it here or not, but here it goes:

dh4life @ http://www.msdhw.com writes:

Wade Simmons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wade Simmons is coming to cyclepaths in tahoe the weekend of the 12th. He is going to ride with a group of people and maybe we will be able to check out Northstar before it opens, they are opening a new lift this year.

For more information call cyclepaths and ask for Greg, the owner, at this number: 1 800 581 2216

See you there,

Rob (dh4life)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, who's going?

Johnny

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by DLo
What's wrong with Simmons? :confused:
yeah you know wade simmons is only a founding father and pioneer of a form of riding that at least most mtb riders dabble in every once and a while. not to mention he is one of the smoothest riders on the planet and still does epic 3-4 day long rides. if i had the chance to kick it and ride with wade i would be excited.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by biggins
yeah you know wade simmons is only a founding father and pioneer of a form of riding that at least most mtb riders dabble in every once and a while. not to mention he is one of the smoothest riders on the planet and still does epic 3-4 day long rides. if i had the chance to kick it and ride with wade i would be excited.
ditto. but then again, i am a closet canadian :eek: :rolleyes:

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by DLo
What's wrong with Simmons? :confused:
Nothing, I'm sure he's a good guy. It's just that I'd be more excited to ride with someone like Peat or EC than some huckster.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Originally posted by 911
Nothing, I'm sure he's a good guy. It's just that I'd be more excited to ride with someone like Peat or EC than some huckster.
Are you renouncing the FReeride faith and converting to pure Race-ism? I seem to remeber you going on a trip to the North Shore of Vancouver only last year...THE VERY PLACE THAT ALL FREERIDING WAS FORGED, BY THE VERY HANDS OF THE MASTER FREERIDERS THEMSELVES.

Not to rain on your parade, Prof. but I doubt that you would actually *ride* with Steve Peat or EC. It would more be like, try to follow which way they went down the mountain by picking out the fresh Minion tracks left in the dirt.

Besides, Wade is no *regular* huckster. He is a man's man, the pure definition of freeride itself. Monster T's on a sh*tty frame with 3.0 gazzy's flying through the woods like some sort of over-sized North Shore pixie-fairy-thing. He's got the swash-buckling haircut and not to mention those scars from surgery! The chicks dig him! I would be honored to ride with Simmons, and so should you be.
You should take a closer look at yourself mister racer-boy. You STILL own a bullit with boxxers, the QUNTISENTIAL freeride bike. Just 'cause you got a fancy Yeti and a TLD D2 doesn't mean all of the sudden you are too good to Huck. Get up, go outside and go jib the college 8 stairs right now. I think it'll make you a better person.
As V-Dub would say, "Shred the Gnar!"

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Originally posted by Acadian
Plus he's a super nice guy (how can he not be..he's frekkin' Canadian) ;)
Not all Canadians are nice...isn't Pam Anderson from Canada originally? She's a total slut.

I heard she got Hepatitis A from Tommy Lee.

So... to sum it all up ALL Canadians
1. Are rippers
2. Have slutty girlfriends with Hep A
3. Most of the time are pretty nice, but every once in a while they get kind of irritated. Especially when you make fun of them for being Canucks.
4. Played hockey in college and had a wicked mullet

Johnny

Chimp
May 20, 2004
East Bay
I have to admit that I was NOT expecting anyone to go "Who's Wade Simmons?". :( I mean, it's cool if you aren't an idol worshiper (not cool if you are doing it to look cool infront of your peers), but you have to admit that the guy has some skills, that I seriously doubt any of the cynical bunch that posted messages to this thread will ever possess (if you like, you can prove me wrong after N* opens). Besides, I know that you watched his videos (maybe still are in the closet) before you became the hot stuff that you think you are now.

But, I say if I can ride N* a week before it opens, I am game (besides, I would probably learn a thing or two from the man).

Johnny

Oh, did I mention I ride RM7 WS!? So screw all of you HATERS!!! :D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
i think there was a thread about Arrogant racer snobs? HMM maybe I'm wrong:D I would go if i lived near n*. He's an amazing rider and from what i've seen a pretty nice guy.

"we can go huck together". I "huck" and i love it. I ride for the fun not the clock. Hell, I'll still smoke most boy racer wannabes with a lame ass shop sponsor any day. Most of the naysayers are never going to get payed to ride like he does. Whatever, i hope you guys have fun taking 5 runs on race day while i do 15 or more. Go wash your bikes again they got dirty.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Ok... you guys are getting a little too worked up about this. Yes, Wade is cool and would be fun to ride with.

Johnny

Chimp
May 20, 2004
East Bay
Originally posted by beaverbiker
racing is gay
Racing is not gay. Respect your fellow riders, regardless of what turns them on (racing, ladders, hucking............). Stay united.

But, since we're all humans, and need a target to hate, how about ballerinas?

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Originally posted by Acadian
how about trails with hucks?
Nope, strickly put my bike on my shoulder and hike up a Huck with my camelback then find the largest huck. boooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
Originally posted by 911
I got a chance to lead a ride with Wade Simmons (and very few others) on my own local stash of mainly XC trails, when he was out here (Boston area) for a local MTB video awards benefit. I've got to say that from what I saw, he is an excellent cyclist, not just a huckster.

He arrived at noon after flying out on the redeye from BC following a drive to BC from Moab. He hadn't "slept" in like 36 hours or something. Anyhow, he rode to our place from where he was staying (a few miles) on a brand new (out of the box) bike (RM Switch SL w/ flat pedals) then proceded to follow me around our tight/twisty rolling singletrack for a couple hours and finally ride back. He was always right there and we definately were not waiting for him. Although the ride wasn't a blistering pace from an XC race standard it wasn't slow either and by FreeRide standards would have been a hammerfest.

Another buddy of mine had ridden with Wade at the IMBA summit a couple years back and said the same thing. Excellent rider as well as a super smooth huckster and just a nice all around guy. From what I saw him, I agree.

The only down side is that these FreeRide film superstars like Simmons aren't exactly raking in the dough so when it comes to beer time, you know they aren't the ones equipped to be buying, even though they are more than willing and able to drink ;)

-Couch

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
I did a cheesy riding siminar with Wade last year at the Sea Otter. I figured I might as well, since my wife and I were hanging out in the Freeride play area anyway. He only worked with the group of us for like an hour, but gave me a couple of pointers that were a big help (okay it was advice on hucking, but still really usefull.) He also gave my wife a couple of tips for skinnies that she still finds helpful. That's pretty good teaching for one hour.

Thomas Vanderham was there too. He gave me a quick intro on jumping doubles, then watched me hit the big doubles. I crashed hard... twice:eek: . He politely suggested that maybe I shouldn't jump my bike:( Which was probably also good advice.

RHmoto

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
South Bay, Cali
Simmons and all those guys are no doubt amazing riders, and a huge asset to the sport as a whole. The things those guys do are nothing less than spectacular. The whole persona of being a so called freerider though is something i don't understand. Those that consider themselves only freeriders are in my mind just trying to break away from the racing scene. All in all you are riding your bike and that is all that matters. So long as it is downhill and a gnar gnar haha i am a fan. Just don't try and separate yourself saying you are a freerider. You may have a different approach to the sport and just love to jump things over and over, but you are riding a bicycle and that is what it is all about. And that my friends is my drunken two cents.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I got a chance to hang out with Wade at IB three years ago. I have to say he is mellow and super cool. He even flipped me few bucks to pull slots 'cause I was outta cash. Maybe Simmons wouldn't be a top contender on the WC race scene, but I can guarantee he'll smoke just about anybody else. He has mad flow and is just plain the master of overall bike control. Manuals for days, huge hucks, super fast through the trees, etc. I would love to go for a ride with Wade be it XC/FR/DH whateva'. As far as riding with the pros, I ran dirt merchant last summer and got blown off course by Cedric, Kovarik, Pete and a few other top pros. I had been cruisin' but once they passed me on a the single track after the small rock drop, I dropped the hammer and tried to keep pace. Needless to say it was a lost cause, I kept them in eye shot for a while but by the step-up back into A-Line they were pretty much gone. I did however find Cedric's Whistler season pass lying on the ground at the a-line junction. I swooped it up as a souvenir. Pros are F-ing fast! I was behind Kovarik for a while and he just throws his bike so hard into corners and just plain makes it find traction, unbelievable!

JLP

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
Fremont, Ca
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
OH MY GOD!!!! WADE SIMMONS??? :rolleyes:

Not me... That's for sure...
are you for real?? would you have the same opinion if simmons was a yeti sponsored rider? you sir, are a tool.