Quantcast

Wandering again, maybe

For whatever reason, I might be driving south, maybe January third or so.

I'm aiming to wind up in Ocala, Florida after a couple of days on the road.

Depending on time, weather, and circumstance, I may stop to ride here or there.

Looking for suggestions on the here or there piece.

Not sure how far west I might swing either on the southerly or northerly leg.

Yeahwell, I figured we might generally head towards Asheville and decide on riding destination as we approached.

Is anyone familiar with trails near Atlanta? I picked it 'cause trails exist there and it got us started on the northern leg. Anything better in the same general direction?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not sure about SC/ATL...I think there’s a pretty cool trail system somewhere in NW GA. Ellijay area, maybe? depending on the day I might be able to show you around wilson creek in the grandfather district....

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Big Creek in Roswell, Bull Mountain in Dahlonega, Blankets Creek and Rope Mill in Woodstock, and Chicopee in Gainesville. Fats in SC. Pinhoti Trail in Elijay. Mulberry Gap in N. Georgia

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I will add Santos if you're actually in the Ocala area. They have some legitimately bigly freehuck features, set of DJs and the XC trail was surprisingly fun...err, well, that was the case when me and the bro-crew were down there 8-10 years ago. My guess is they've probably improved things since then.

I rode the 1996 Olympic mtb course in Conyers, GA, which is pretty close to the ATL, and it was an interesting trail system if not the best laid out by "modern standards" (i.e. modern does not = IMBA flow tracks in my book).

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-trails/trail-16-1996-olympic-mtb-course/

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I recall Bull Mountain and the trails around it being pretty good when racing the Fools Gold 100 a few years back.

edit: You've probably also got the stuff near Ducktown in TN, Tnasi (I think) which would be on your way there/back.
edit: Raccoon Mtn if you're near Chattanooga too

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
if you find yourself not wanting to go as far west as brevard, or even wilsons, the dark mountain/ovt/warrior creek system in north wilkesboro is worthwhile. some nice stuff around winston salem too. and there are about a dozen trail networks ringing charlotte - of these, i’d say the us nat’l whitewater center, backyard trails, poston park, and rocky river trail are worthwhile.

if you find yourself not wanting to go as far west as brevard, or even wilsons, the dark mountain/ovt/warrior creek system in north wilkesboro is worthwhile. some nice stuff around winston salem too. and there are about a dozen trail networks ringing charlotte - of these, i’d say the us nat’l whitewater center, backyard trails, poston park, and rocky river trail are worthwhile.
Dark Mountain might fit right in...