Quantcast

wanna try a new red wine?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hunt around for some dolcettos...a bit rounder, less tannic than barberas, good value (not cheap but not pricey, expect to pay ~12-20 for a bottle; damn euro...).

i had this last night and it was really good w/ my pasta and sausage w/ red sauce:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
hunt around for some dolcettos...a bit rounder, less tannic than barberas, good value (not cheap but not pricey, expect to pay ~12-20 for a bottle; damn euro...).

i had this last night and it was really good w/ my pasta and sausage w/ red sauce:
Haven't had either. Will have to try both.

What about Chianti's. I had some Chianti Classico Riserva from Tuscany Saturday night at dinner. (Don't remember the brand :rolleyes: ). It seemed pretty good. Any experience / opionions on Chianti? :confused:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
chiantis i dig. the riservas are v. nice, not too spendy, and because of that you can grab a few and put 'em down for a bit. throw 4-6 in yr cellar and see how they evolve after 3-4 years.

the uber-chiantis (brunellos) are very nice too, but more a special occasion wine. grab a few rosso di montalcinos for a less expensive alternative.

i should have my wife grab some italian wine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love Chianti :drool:

An inexpensive Ruffino chianti is generally a wine I keep in the house to open when I just feel like having some wine and don't want something expensive - $8-10/bottle.

I'll have to check out the Dolcettos...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Chiantis, Barberas, and Dolcettos are all similar in that they are *generally* medium bodied, food friendly wines. I :heart: Italian wines.

For a good value Chianti "alternative" try out some Sangioveses from nearby regions. Chiantis are mostly sangiovese - just from a specific region in Tuscany.

Oh - and for an alternative to zinfandel, try primitivo from the south of Italy. They're genetically the same grape.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My wine knowledge is still not very broad so I appreciate these threads which give me new things to try.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
chiantis i dig. the riservas are v. nice, not too spendy, and because of that you can grab a few and put 'em down for a bit. throw 4-6 in yr cellar and see how they evolve after 3-4 years.

the uber-chiantis (brunellos) are very nice too, but more a special occasion wine. grab a few rosso di montalcinos for a less expensive alternative.

i should have my wife grab some italian wine.
It was at the Catina Italiana in the North End. I believe it was a 2002. WIne List Here

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
binary visions said:
My wine knowledge is still not very broad so I appreciate these threads which give me new things to try.
:stupid: I definitely know whether or not I like them when I try them, but find it hard to decide what to try (more or less for fear that I will hate it). I prefer mostly reds and some whites that are dry and not sweet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Friday's wine column in the WSJ focused on Dolcettos. here are their picks of the best ones they sampled:

Enzo Boglietti Dolcetto d'Alba
Elio Altare Dolcetto d'Alba
Bruno Porro 'Vigna Ribote' Dolcetto d' Dogliani
Pira Dolcetto d'Alba
Marcarini 'Boschi di Berri' Dolcetto d'Alba
Chionetti 'Briccolero' Dolcetto d' Dogliani 2003
Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Dolcetto d'Alba
Prunotto Dolcetto d'Alba 2003

all were 2004 unless otherwise noted. Prunotto is the only one i've seen and had before; it's good. retail prices varied between $12 (Bruno Porro) to $25 (Falletto di Bruno Giacosa).