Quantcast

Want a 29er, noob to bikes in general

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
So I dont know much about bikes and all the stuff like frame geometry and angles and all that stuff you guys thow around here. I want a cheap around ( preferably under) $800 hardtail 29er. I want it to have a front shock the travel doesnt really matter. I mostly ride dirt trails, with some rocks n stuff, with some large ups and downs. I am deciding between the diamondback overdrive, haro ally xc, and siren trauco. Also, building my own from a frame isnt an option. So which of these is the best, or good, or pros and cons, or if you guys have any other suggestions thatd be cool.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've only seen the Diamond Back around here. Seems like a pretty good bike for the price. I don't really know if you could go wrong with an entry level 29er hardtail really.

How tall are you? Have you ridden much at all?

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
haha im 5'5" which i know is pretty fail for a 29er, and ive been riding my entire life, ive just never gotten into the techincal things about bikes lol

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
itll be my irst 29er btw, now i just have a crappy 06 ish schwinn mesa. and i bent the front wheel past fixable, so im trying to get my parents to get me a new bike

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
One thing to consider is chain stay length. The longer it is, the harder it will be to pull up the front to get over obstacles. A few friends have indicated that they find that their arms & shoulders get tired and wonder whether it is because it's harder to pull up the front. My boyfriend is doing research and hasn't found any much below 17.3". Specialized is 17.4" and Giant is also pretty good. 1/2" can make a noticeable difference (i.e. between 17.3 and 17.8").

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
hey i also think i read around here that the shorter the chainstay length the better it handles right? btw the chainstay = the bars that goes backwards from the pedals to the wheel?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Monocog Flight 29er.

Yeah, it is a single speed, but you can convert it to gears at your leisure. But I thought it was the best frame for bikes under $1k.

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
meh nah cuz i cant do anything to it thats not simple like getting a different tire set which i plan on doing. anyway id have to buy a fork too, shocks are a must