Quantcast

Want A Road Bike

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
I've been riding mostly DH & Parks for my life and am interested in gaining some speed. I currently own a Brooklyn that weighs about 55lbs and it's a pain to get up to speed including the gearing I have. It's just to speed around the loop in Central Park.

Any ideas on what type of frame or brands to start with? I'd rather stick with a good underground builder and tend to sway away from Trek, Cannondale, etc... I'm pretty unfamilar with road frames but want something light, built well, and looks nice (black). I love the look of the triathalon frames.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well if you like a the feel of steel and don't want to get something pricey I would suggest a Surly road bike. I bought the Karate Monkey(29er mtb) and built it up as a singlespeed. I use it for road and xc trail riding and love it. I haven't ridden too many high end bikes, but the feel of the bike is great! I've heard good things about the road bike and Surly is a fairly underground, but not really company.

There are plenty of other road bikes out there, but go for one from a company that gives you bang for the buck and has a history in mountain bikes. they are also easy to deal with people.

The Ito

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
What kind of price range are you looking at? There are so many cool frames out there.

Steel is real. Gios is my fav for steel bikes, just because they have so much history and they are rarely seen outside of italy.

The coolest steel bike that I have ever seen is a Columbine, however they are pretty pricey.

Other materials to look at are Carbon and possibly carbon aluminium mix.

Let us know what price range you are looking at and we will definitely have some suggestions for you.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by Motionboy2
What kind of price range are you looking at? There are so many cool frames out there.

Steel is real. Gios is my fav for steel bikes, just because they have so much history and they are rarely seen outside of italy.

The coolest steel bike that I have ever seen is a Columbine, however they are pretty pricey.

Other materials to look at are Carbon and possibly carbon aluminium mix.

Let us know what price range you are looking at and we will definitely have some suggestions for you.
That's the thing. I'd like to spend 1-3 G's but I have about 4-5 in my BMW. I really like the look and lightness of the Triath bikes.

I'm looking for a alum or CF frame. I know CF jacks up the price but I'm not doing time here or anything. Just something that gets to and maintains higher speeds than my BMW. It takes so much effort to get up to speed on my bike.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by RUYORK
That's the thing. I'd like to spend 1-3 G's but I have about 4-5 in my BMW. I really like the look and lightness of the Triath bikes.

I'm looking for a alum or CF frame. I know CF jacks up the price but I'm not doing time here or anything. Just something that gets to and maintains higher speeds than my BMW. It takes so much effort to get up to speed on my bike.
To be honest Triathalon and TT frames are not always very light, infact in the world of pro cycling, they are usually some of the heavier bikes out there.

As for a road bike in the 1-3k range. You probably won't be racing, just going fast. You could get a Look KG451 with ultegra for about $2500, I know of a couple more that you could go with as well.

I can help you out with fit stuff as well if you need, just drop me an Email

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Unless you are planning on doing triathlons I would avoid a frame with tri-specific geometry - it forces your body into forward aero position - if you are planning on riding around central park with your arms on the tri bars most of the time then fine.

Your budget can easily afford a Serotta or similar frame built to your specific fit. If you go steel (and you should) the frame will last your lifetime...you can upgrade the bits as needed in the future.

Consider the CSi full lugged steel frame and fork, build it up with 105 until you can pop for a nice campy group.

Serotta CSi frame

I have a 1991 model with a steel fork and I love it. :thumb:

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
I was looking at a Trek triathalon bike today and I love the way the frame looks (on Tri's). I test rode and the position didn't bother me at all.

However, is it possible to put straight road bars on a Tri bike or do anything to make it function more like a road bike? I know typical road bikes tend to allow your entire lower body "workout" rather than specific muscles on your legs that a Tri-frame would tend to do.

Basically, I want a road bike that looks somewhat burly. I'm pretty big (muscular) and I feel funny on a skinny little bike.

U

uhkuhjillion

Check out the Cervelo Soloist. It has got road frame geometry but Tri/time trial aerodynamics. I think they start around 2G

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by uhkuhjillion
Check out the Cervelo Soloist. It has got road frame geometry but Tri/time trial aerodynamics. I think they start around 2G
I did but it's too much dough right now. What does anyone think of the Trek Equinox 7 for the $$$?

I know the components are crappy but it has a nice frame. I checked one out today.

freeride6

Chimp
Sep 22, 2001
MA
Hey,
I was in your shoes about a month ago. I was a freeride/urban rider and I decided to get into road biking. I bought a FELT F60, I couldn't be happier! It is smooth, light, responsive, and it didn't froce me to sell my truck either:) . The f60 has carbon fiber seat stays, a CF fork, Ultegra/105 components, so it is right in the middle. You would probably be looking at the F45 or F30. Felt is fairly new here in the US, they are great for the money. Here is the web site if you was to check them out...

http://www.feltracing.com/2004_bikes/2004_bike_start.html

I hope that helps a little bit.
Ride FAST,
Kyle

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by freeride6
Hey,
I was in your shoes about a month ago. I was a freeride/urban rider and I decided to get into road biking. I bought a FELT F60, I couldn't be happier! It is smooth, light, responsive, and it didn't froce me to sell my truck either:) . The f60 has carbon fiber seat stays, a CF fork, Ultegra/105 components, so it is right in the middle. You would probably be looking at the F45 or F30. Felt is fairly new here in the US, they are great for the money. Here is the web site if you was to check them out...

http://www.feltracing.com/2004_bikes/2004_bike_start.html

I hope that helps a little bit.
Ride FAST,
Kyle
How much can you get the Felt bikes for though?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nice! with CB mallets and everything, is that the sant cruz "freeride" build kit? J/K...

Be careful with that EC90 fork, carbon steer tubes can be scary at speed!

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by punkassean
Nice! with CB mallets and everything, is that the sant cruz "freeride" build kit? J/K...

Be careful with that EC90 fork, carbon steer tubes can be scary at speed!
Thanks. It's all Ultegra. It was built up custom from a bike shop.

What do you mean about the carbon?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Carbon steer tubes can be flexy and that relates to slight wobbles at high speed. The tracking is not as straight as a alloy or steel steerer. But of course carbon is way lighter than anything else.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by punkassean
Carbon steer tubes can be flexy and that relates to slight wobbles at high speed. The tracking is not as straight as a alloy or steel steerer. But of course carbon is way lighter than anything else.
Thant's what I thought you meant. I have no problems at 35-40mph. These are very rigid.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I understand it'll be 50or 60 MPH before the reverb hits - few people ever ride that fast and I don't think there is any real danger -just freaks people out.

Anyhow - nice ride but the seatpost is freaking me out. :p

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I understand it'll be 50or 60 MPH before the reverb hits - few people ever ride that fast and I don't think there is any real danger -just freaks people out.

Anyhow - nice ride but the seatpost is freaking me out. :p
I was trying it in that position, more like a tri. It's back the other way.

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
If you want the most bang for the buck, I'd suggest either Cannondale or Specialized. They also both have great warranties. I just (last Friday) got my new C-dale R3000. It's got full D/A 10 speed with Ksyrium SSL's and all good junk. I'm on a 60cm and the bike complete with D/A pedals weighs under 17#. I've been riding C-dale for about 10 years and love them. I went to a steel frame briefly and hated it. Too flexy in a sprint.

A buddy just got a new Specialized E5 with D/A 10 speed and it is sweet as well. He paid a hair more than me. These rigs are just over $3k complete but if you go with an Ultegra based bike the price drops about $1k. The frames will be the same as will most of the goods save the D/A group.

One thing to consider is that Ultegra is going to go from 9 spd to 10 spd for 2005.

-Couch

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by CouchingTiger
If you want the most bang for the buck, I'd suggest either Cannondale or Specialized. They also both have great warranties. I just (last Friday) got my new C-dale R3000. It's got full D/A 10 speed with Ksyrium SSL's and all good junk. I'm on a 60cm and the bike complete with D/A pedals weighs under 17#. I've been riding C-dale for about 10 years and love them. I went to a steel frame briefly and hated it. Too flexy in a sprint.

A buddy just got a new Specialized E5 with D/A 10 speed and it is sweet as well. He paid a hair more than me. These rigs are just over $3k complete but if you go with an Ultegra based bike the price drops about $1k. The frames will be the same as will most of the goods save the D/A group.

One thing to consider is that Ultegra is going to go from 9 spd to 10 spd for 2005.

-Couch
Umm, thanks but I got a bike.