Quantcast

wanted Micro/Mini BMX for my 5 yr old

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Anyone have any for sale?

Looking for a 20" wheeled micro/mini bmx bike with a standover of less than 20"

If anyone has a lead on a decently priced well cared for used bike let me know.

Thanks,

Chad

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Anyone have any for sale?

Looking for a 20" wheeled micro/mini bmx bike with a standover of less than 20"

If anyone has a lead on a decently priced well cared for used bike let me know.

Thanks,

Chad
local bmx tracks tend to be the best for stuff like that. i do see micros and minis on craigslist, but pretty rarely.

for new ones, jrbicycles.com is a good site.

definitely a great idea for a 5 year old though.

. . . .although it's still mystifying why they put massive sprockets on those bikes. it's not like a little kid is going to "over-torque" a 25t sprocket. maybe they don't want to put cassette hubs stock and 14t is the smallest decent freewheel. (?)

37/14 on this bike:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
local bmx tracks tend to be the best for stuff like that. i do see micros and minis on craigslist, but pretty rarely.

for new ones, jrbicycles.com is a good site.

definitely a great idea for a 5 year old though.

. . . .although it's still mystifying why they put massive sprockets on those bikes. it's not like a little kid is going to "over-torque" a 25t sprocket. maybe they don't want to put cassette hubs stock and 14t is the smallest decent freewheel. (?)

37/14 on this bike:
I've been watching craigslist, ebay, etc. I will see if the local tracks have any classified ads.

He rides a 16" wheeled SE "lil Wildman" now that I bought on this website from a guy. Problem is the small wheels make for tough clearing of obstacles on MTB trails, and at the BMX track the mini bmx's just blow him away, the gearing and rolling resistance is much better, and the mini's look way way lighter.

So I think all around the mini BMX may be a good choice for him, throw a front brake on it and he'll have a decent MTB that is a lot lighter than the kids mountain bikes out there too.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I've been watching craigslist, ebay, etc. I will see if the local tracks have any classified ads.

He rides a 16" wheeled SE "lil Wildman" now that I bought on this website from a guy. Problem is the small wheels make for tough clearing of obstacles on MTB trails, and at the BMX track the mini bmx's just blow him away, the gearing and rolling resistance is much better, and the mini's look way way lighter.

So I think all around the mini BMX may be a good choice for him, throw a front brake on it and he'll have a decent MTB that is a lot lighter than the kids mountain bikes out there too.
Seems like there are more and more dads out there on your wavelength. The bikes some kids are given to ride (from Walmart etc) are such spectacular crap. But even kids' bikes from good brands are not really where they need to be. They are half the kid's body weight.

Why are kids bikes so heavy? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=701515

This dude, wycough, was talking about how to run 1.5 rims (and slightly fatter tires):

Mountain Bike vs BMX (for 6y/o)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5347612&page=3

1.5" in the back and 2.1" up front: