Quantcast

Wanting to Build a Fixie

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
I'm looking to build a beater bike for riding around campus and running errands and such.

I'd like a fixed gear setup. Also, I'd like to use a cross frame, so I could put larger tires on it for commutes in bad weather, as well as being able to put fenders on it.

However, I'm don't really know much about cross frame manufacturers.

So.. What would you guys recommend as far as parts go? I'm not looking to spend very much.. I definitely want to keep it under $500. But, the lower the better.

Any suggestions/ideas?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
most of the older lugged steel frames that you'll find for cheap will allow clearance for smaller cx tires

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
look on ebay for a descent frame, or go to smaller bike shops in your area and see if they've got anything, with semi-horizontal drops. i'm building one up using a rear flipflop from IRO (www.irocycle.com). people seem to think they're descent quality, and farily cheap.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
For hubs: Surly makes an awesome fixed gear hub(I have the flip flop so I run a freewheel on one side) for pretty cheap. They also make a nice lock ring and fixed cogs. If it's an urban commuter get some beefier rims than normal(Alex adventurers or Salsa Rims work well, 32 or 36hole). I'd look at straight gauge spokes, you don't need anything fancy for this bike. Parts: Pick up some old steel drop bars or a flat bar like the Scott AT-1/2's, a moustache, or similar. Basically you want a bar with multiple hand positions. I'd look into a safety break up front, something cheap that will stop you when you are first learning to ride fixed.

Cranks, get a pair that you can spin well. Some people like shorter cranks for this, but I love my 180's. I picked a pair of Truvativ Stylo's online with a saddle, bottom bracket, and ring for 60 bucks. If you went with old school road cranks you could probably get them even cheaper from a shop, but the mountain cranks are stiffer feeling than the old road cranks with square tapers.

A quality chain is key as you DO NOT want it breaking. I've been having great luck with a SRAM SS chain. Stem: depends on the bar you go with, but get something stiff and it'll probably be heavy. I think most old track stems are quill, but you should be able to find a decent threadless stem if that is how you are building it up. Headset, King if you can, but go cheap if you need to. Be sure to get clipless pedals, because riding fixed without clips just sucks. Saddle, whatever is slightly comfortable. Seat Post, whatever fits the bike.

The bike that I have fixed right now is a 29 inch mountain bike(Surly KM). Built it up for under 600 bucks with some nice parts(and some free/traded/online parts). Heck, just taking the King Headse off would you put you under 500(though i did have some help as I worked at a shop). Get a frame first and just be patient about finding the right parts. You can get some great deals online.

The Ito

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
for some free stuff, check out www.fixedgeargallery.com and go to the forums. there's a "free stuff" board.

ito, you ever have problems catching a pedal with the 180s? what pedals are you using? i just picked up a frame off ebay with 172.5 cranks, and am wondering how far i can lean running Quattros.

the frame i picked up is kinda cool. i uses a press fit bb, like the american bb. i already forgot the maker. can't wait for it to arrive so i can build her up.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
chicodude01 said:
Okay, Stupid question here, but to transform a bike into a fixie, you need a new rear hub, correct?
Well it depends.

If you are running x-speed freewheel or cassette you could just remove the rear derailleur select your ratio and shorten the chain, with a cassette you could also remove your unwanted sprockets and just use spacers.

But that would still allow you coast and you said fixed-gear not single speed.

So the short answer is yes, you would need a new rear hub.

On the drive side of a track hub there are usually two sets of threads, one for the sprocket and the other for the lockring.

Looks like your average hub that you would find under your 6-speed freewheel, but it's not.

Sure you could put a single sprocket on in place of the freewheel, but then you have a bunch of axle floating there plus a chain that in on a strange angle and ready to hop off, no lock ring and a grindy ride.

So yup, new hub or wheel.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
the Inbred said:
for some free stuff, check out www.fixedgeargallery.com and go to the forums. there's a "free stuff" board.

ito, you ever have problems catching a pedal with the 180s? what pedals are you using? i just picked up a frame off ebay with 172.5 cranks, and am wondering how far i can lean running Quattros.

the frame i picked up is kinda cool. i uses a press fit bb, like the american bb. i already forgot the maker. can't wait for it to arrive so i can build her up.
That site is pretty sweet.

I've never caught a pedal with 180's *knock on wood*, but I don't descend that fast with them either. I am definitely careful not to push it on the mountain roads as digging a pedal is pretty scary to me. I have gotten some really good lean going with them though and I think it is more mental than anything(I'm also running a 32/13 so I'm spinning VERY fast on the downhills)

Lets see some pics of that frame when you get it in, sounds interesting.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Another choice for the hub is to get a surly fixer, they work with shimano freewheels to make it a fixed gear. I've never used one, but I hear they work great. Some people also weld the freewheel shut, which seems sketchy to me, but works ok.

The Ito

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the surly is cheap
it's not bad but don't expect the bearings to be great........i had to build a wheel with one a courriers abused for who knows how long and it felt like ass :/

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
indieboy said:
the surly is cheap
it's not bad but don't expect the bearings to be great........i had to build a wheel with one a courriers abused for who knows how long and it felt like ass :/
Yea, I'll probably go with the surly because of the price.

However, what other options are there as far as fixed hubs go? I know campy makes one... but I'm sure that's more than I want to pay...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
see if you can find some old dura ace or old campy hubs online for cheap. i'm sure someone somewhere wants to unload a set........high flange though

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
ito said:
Or check out the Bianchi Pista, $550 and sexy chrome colors. This bike looks incredible in person, so shiny
Hehe, my friend has that bike, along with a Cervelo, Trek, Specialized and Cannondale...

I rode it a few times but it's about 7cm too small for me. So it wasn't much fun.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
ito said:
Or check out the Bianchi Pista, $550 and sexy chrome colors. This bike looks incredible in person, so shiny.
I was lookin' at that one actually. It's only a 1" headtube though I think. And (more importantly), it doesn't allow you to put a front brake on it. And since I'll be using it to get places, I'd like to have a front brake.