Quantcast

WARNING!! Trader Joe's Decadent Chocolate Frosting

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
An evil friend sent me a jar of Trader Joe's Decadent Chocolate Frosting even though I discouraged him from going to all that trouble because I don't bake nor am I an avid frosting eater. There's an occasional binge once every four or five years, but nothing that should prompt a special trip to TJ's and the US Post Office to ship me a jar of frosting. Besides I refused to believe store-bought frosting could taste homemade.

Yeesh, was I wrong. Holy Delectable Fatman!! Can we get a vat shipped overnight?!! Made me feel like baking a cake to put it on. Anyone ever try this stuff? I highly recommend it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Trader Joe's also has the little chocolate-covered orange gummy things....oh damn. i survived off of those for a couple days driving back from Canada.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Trader Joe's also has the little chocolate-covered orange gummy things....oh damn. i survived off of those for a couple days driving back from Canada.
Most of the food in my house comes from Trader Joes. Gummy chocolate orange things are good, and they also have Mochi's there which I always like to have in stock.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Hey there stranger! I haven't tried it, but a good chocolate frosting would definitely have me making a cake! :D

Howdy! Truly an honor to have your's be the first reply in my thread about cake frosting. I almost posed the question directly to you, the Queen of Cake and Frosting....but feared you might scoff at the notion of jarred frosting. ;)

Konabiker, you live a luxurious life with Trader Joe's ruling the pantry.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Sigh... TJ's used to be across the street. But now that I have moved the closest TJ's is 30 minutes away. And we love thier products too.

Some of my faves:

Baby Spinach salad with blue chese and dried cranberrys.
MokaJava Coffee
frozen spinach lasagna
No Pudge Fudge brownies
they had some kind of stuffed beef that was awsome.
And the cheese. :drool: Oh how I love the cheese.
And the beer...

I could go on and on...

Trivia: Did you know? Trader Joe's is owned by The Albrecht company which is a privatly held German supermarket company. Originally called Pronto Markets, Trader Joe's started in Los Angeles and was eventually sold to the Albrecht brothers, who at the time were two of the richest people in Germany, in 1979.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I grew up very close to the old Pronto Market on National and Overland in West LA. Always wondered if that was the first TJ's, can you confirm that Ciaran? And I completely forgot it used to be called Pronto. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

I'm going through frosting withdrawal. I'm afraid to check for a website. The pangs are deep, I wish we didn't toss the jar until every last microscopic morsel of decadant goodness was consumed. If I cave and end up odering one, I'll order two and have one sent to RM QCF TreeSaw and see what her verdict is.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
As a reCanadian, from SB, I miss TJ's so f'n much...

Best Californian garlic powder ever...

among many other things...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Howdy! Truly an honor to have your's be the first reply in my thread about cake frosting. I almost posed the question directly to you, the Queen of Cake and Frosting....but feared you might scoff at the notion of jarred frosting. ;)

Konabiker, you live a luxurious life with Trader Joe's ruling the pantry.
LOL! You crack me up! I am definitely going to have to give it a try. I'm heading to Diablo tomorrow...you busy?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I’m also a huge Trader Joe’s fan. My favorite item is the new jalapeño breaded shrimp. If you haven't tried it, you need to pick up a box next time you’re there.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
LOL! You crack me up! I am definitely going to have to give it a try. I'm heading to Diablo tomorrow...you busy?
Argh! Bad timing again on Diablo. Hope you had a blast, the weather looked to be perfect. I bet you're railing Alpine this year. You looked strong and smooth as I recall whenever that last time it was I saw you at the mtn. Pre-Lil'TreeSaw, so quite a while back. Totally off-topic further, but do you read Marla's blog? If not, I highly recommend it and not just because you both ride and are rad mommies. linkster: http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/blogs/marla_streb/

Back to Trader Joe's and that blasted jar of frosting (if I may beat the topic to a pulp), there's a store in Manhattan, son-of-a-gun! I'm heading down there this week and will pick up a few items on the list y'all provided. Any last suggestions are welcome.

TreeSaw, frosting en route shortly. Or do you think you'll be back to Diablo in the next week or two for a hand off after a couple of Alpine rippers?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Argh! Bad timing again on Diablo. Hope you had a blast, the weather looked to be perfect. I bet you're railing Alpine this year. You looked strong and smooth as I recall whenever that last time it was I saw you at the mtn. Pre-Lil'TreeSaw, so quite a while back. Totally off-topic further, but do you read Marla's blog? If not, I highly recommend it and not just because you both ride and are rad mommies. linkster: http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/blogs/marla_streb/

Back to Trader Joe's and that blasted jar of frosting (if I may beat the topic to a pulp), there's a store in Manhattan, son-of-a-gun! I'm heading down there this week and will pick up a few items on the list y'all provided. Any last suggestions are welcome.

TreeSaw, frosting en route shortly. Or do you think you'll be back to Diablo in the next week or two for a hand off after a couple of Alpine rippers?
Thanks! I actually felt better about my riding this weekend than I did after my first run at Diablo this summer. I am getting a little more used to my bike and what it can handle (and what I can) which is definitely a plus. I was looking forward to railing some berms, but Alpine was closed due to all of the rain :( We did find some berms over by Waterboy to play on though. I am officially booked through September, but I definitely plan on getting back to Diablo before they close (perhaps Columbus Day weekend -- maybe we'll finally get to ride together). Now I just have to build up my ladder/drop to practice on so I can hit some drops too!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
A HUGE (and belated ) Thank you to tmx for my delicious care package. I have to admit that the frosting was quite good. I would definitely use it again!
LOL. My pleasure! I confess I grew a bit worried the frosting proved to be inadequate to the point that it might have insulted your superior baking sensibilities. Relieved to know I didn't offend. ;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Last night's dinner was TJ's shrimp tempora with a TJ's ginger-soy broth soup with TJ's soba noodles followed by TJ's new chocolate peppermint cookies for desert.

Man those cookies were good.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Sigh... TJ's used to be across the street. But now that I have moved the closest TJ's is 30 minutes away. And we love thier products too.

Some of my faves:

Baby Spinach salad with blue chese and dried cranberrys.
MokaJava Coffee
frozen spinach lasagna
No Pudge Fudge brownies
they had some kind of stuffed beef that was awsome.
And the cheese. :drool: Oh how I love the cheese.
And the beer...

I could go on and on...

Trivia: Did you know? Trader Joe's is owned by The Albrecht company which is a privatly held German supermarket company. Originally called Pronto Markets, Trader Joe's started in Los Angeles and was eventually sold to the Albrecht brothers, who at the time were two of the richest people in Germany, in 1979.

And the original TJs is still on Arroyo Blvd in Pasadena.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I often wondered which was the first. I grew up a few blocks from the one that was on National near Westwood Blvd in West LA...many decades ago.