Quantcast

Washing Body Armor?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a 661 pressure suit, and its so bad that I have been toying with the idea of putting it in the washing machine on extra gentle. Is this a horribly stupidly bad idea?

I just dont think washing it in the bathtub will take care of it :dead:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, I take the spine protector off and throw it in the wash.
Sometimes I put it in a pillowcase, so my washing machine will not get its hop on, but sometimes I prefer to watch the dance.
It did not hurt my Dianese suit, and so far it has not hurt my 661 suit.
The biggest mistake that you can make is leaving your suit in your zipped up bag for a week before washing it. You will never get the funk out.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I ride w/ a guy who sprays his off thoroughly, then pops it in the dishwasher.

Seems to work well, just not sure how comfortable I am cleaning my nasty body armor in the same place I clean my dishes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just don't wear armor, t shirts and cargo shorts come clean really nice in the washer.

About the washing machine hop thing. We'd just moved to a new house and didn't have a dryer connected to the gas outlet, well the washing machine got its groove on and somehow bumped up against the valve for the gas. I smelled a lot of gas and I thought the pilot on the oven had gone out so I ran over to the oven and checked the pilot light, stil burning. When I heared the hissing back near the laundry I realized what was going on. You'd have thought I was a track star I ran so fast. Be careful with washing machines, they're more dangerous than you think.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by MMike
Yeah....that didn't come out right at all.....damn I gotta cut down on the pot smoking.....
Or maybe you should start:D

If i was that worried i'd hand wash it. It won't be perfect but it will be far better than the current funktastic smell the poor saps that ride behind you get.:dead: :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Lexx D
Or maybe you should start:D

If i was that worried i'd hand wash it. It won't be perfect but it will be far better than the current funktastic smell the poor saps that ride behind you get.:dead: :D
I dont have to worry about that... I'm always last in the back!

Putting it in a pillowcase is a good idea. That way the straps dont get all caught up in the spinny thingy. (yes, that is a technical term)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Step 1
Run a tub or large sink with Hot water....don't forget the stopper. :rolleyes:

Step 2
Add Soap. Laundry soap but Dish soap works well too.

Step 3
Soak in Hot water and soap solution for a little while.

Step 4
Work water/soap solution thru gear with (dare I say it?) hands. :eek:

Step 5
Drain dirty water solution

Step 6
Rinse gear with clean warm (as you can stand it) water working out dirt and grime until garment is free of soap residue.

Step 7
Hang dry (outside or on the curtainrod/shower door)....wringing out or blotting dry can aid in drying time.

I can't beleive people with smelly gear. There is no excuse not to wash it. :)

Insert Pheobe from Friends voice:
"Smelly gear, smelly gear, when was the last time they washed you?"
"Smelly gear, smelly gear, it's not your fault!"

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Step 1
Run a tub or large sink with Hot water....don't forget the stopper. :rolleyes:

Step 2
Add Soap. Laundry soap but Dish soap works well too.

Step 3
Soak in Hot water and soap solution for a little while.

Step 4
Work water/soap solution thru gear with (dare I say it?) hands. :eek:

Step 5
Drain dirty water solution

Step 6
Rinse gear with clean warm (as you can stand it) water working out dirt and grime until garment is free of soap residue.

Step 7
Hang dry (outside or on the curtainrod/shower door)....wringing out or blotting dry can aid in drying time.

I can't beleive people with smelly gear. There is no excuse not to wash it. :)

Insert Pheobe from Friends voice:
"Smelly gear, smelly gear, when was the last time they washed you?"
"Smelly gear, smelly gear, it's not your fault!"
The excuse to not wash it is purely lazy(MMike insert lazy stoner comments here).:D

Rhino did you just quote friends?:confused: :( :angry:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Chandler (or is it Ross?) Voice:

Could it, BE any more obvious?
:nope: not even married yet and already stuck watching friends:D

Sorry back on topic: Yea wash that stank a$$ armor of yours:D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
OOh can we bastardize this thread and make it about anti-friends rhetoric? All I can say is the series finale of Simpsons (not that I'm hoping for it any time soon) better get at least half a day's programming on fox plus a week of encore reruns.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I heard for Dainese no matter what cycle you put your washing machine on, it can still wear it out. What I do (if it gets really dirty) is hose it down and let it dry. Once or twice a year, have it dry-cleaned. Takes a few days to get it done but the suit comes back really clean and smelling good.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
At the end of last season, I soaked mine in the bathtub with some stuff from the scuba shop called "sink the stink" . Seems to still be working after a number of sweaty days in the armor!
Plus it is pretty easy to use :D - soak it overnight and let it hang dry.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Jeremy R
The biggest mistake that you can make is leaving your suit in your zipped up bag for a week before washing it. You will never get the funk out.
So that's why mine smells so bad...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Tully
So that's why mine smells so bad...
I've had my armor for almost two years, and I always air it out for a day after I ride, but it has spent every other minute of its life inside a duffel bag, which, incedentally, is white cotton, and has yellow sweat stains covering about 2/3 of it. It's pretty nasty.

RHmoto

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
South Bay, Cali
Whenever I get it really dirty and dusty I always just head straight into the shower with it on. Wash it like I was showering and then rinse it out and hang dry it, works like a charm.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by RHmoto
Whenever I get it really dirty and dusty I always just head straight into the shower with it on. Wash it like I was showering and then rinse it out and hang dry it, works like a charm.
Yeah, but most of the time I wear it, I am at least an hours drive from my house.... that would be an hour in nasty stank armor sitting in the car :dead:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Success!!

I put it in a pillowcase, threw it in the wash, put A LOT of detergent in, and viola! All clean. Gloves too :D

Now its ready for me to stink it up tomorrow :D