Quantcast

Washing Freeride bike

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Hey,

I just recently picked up a Trek Session. I want to keep it looking great and have never really known exactly how to clean a bike. What I have been doing is just filling a bucket with warm water and wiping the entire thing down, then drying it. Is there anywhere to keep water away from, such as fork stanchions, shifters, disc brakes?

Keeping your drivetrain in perfect working condition has always eluded me. Is a good idea to take the chain off every couple of weeks and let it soak in some sort of degreaser? How about the derailleurs, cogset and rings, how do you clean and lube them?

Thanks alot,
Cam

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
If you don't have any on hand, goto the store and pick up some brushes for cleaning dishes and such. The ones with the little handles work great for getting into nooks and crannies.

For Cogset and rings, you can take those off and use a wire brush and just spray some degreaser on there, I don't really see a need to soak anything.

Getting water on the discs is fine, as is spraying the fork to get mud from the arch area. Shifters should be fine too, if you find a decrease in shifting performance, it's probably a good time to change out the housing and cables.

Allow time for things to dry off or wipe them down before lubing everything back up. Always re-lube the chain if you actually spray down your bike. Then check all the bolts and stuff to see if anything needs to be tightened.

How well you clean is up to you. Personally, I'd clean my bike more if I had access to a water hose, but I live in an apartment. The only real chance I get to spray down my bike is when I'm at Snowshoe.

If you start to get lazy, you really only need to keep the drivetrain clean and lubed and wipe the fork down after a ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point this fvck-up. After riding it in the rain and washing my bike afterwards, a few days later I noticed water dripping out my frame from the headset. I took the seatpost out about a cup of water dripped out.

I am drilling a tiny hole in BB to prevent this from happening again...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Don't use a pressure washer or spray water at your bearings(Hubs, BB, headset).

Invest in a SRAM powerlink(work with both SRAM and Shimano chains) and you can just pop the chain apart to clean.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I lightly spray my bike with the hose about every 2-3 rides. Then I wipe it down completely and reapply chain lube. Then about 2-3 times a summer I take everything apart and regrease. I have never had a problem.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks guys,

Can you use the same lube for the entire machine, like for chain, derailleurs, fork or do you need different stuff?

Thanks,
Cam

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
fork stancions dont need to be lubed. but chain lube can be used on the entire drive train.... dont confuse grease with lube, grease is for threads and contact areas, lube is for frictional areas...

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Its actually a good idea to lube the dust wipers on your fork stanchions. Gently pry them away from the stanchions with a small pointed pick or something and apply lube, it will increase the lifespan of your forks and keep the stanchions moving freely.

murdock1084

Monkey
Mar 24, 2005
i found that if you get it wet with a water hose but dont really focus on any area where water can sit. The i use a spray called simple green. i spray that on my frame keeping away from the headset and fork (legs are ok). then i let it sit for 1 minute and hose it of gently. the bike almost looks brand new. then i wipe down the bike really well especially getting the pivots and everything. after that you need to lube the drive terrain because it will de grease it in a heart beat. josh

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I also like to blast the hell of my bike with a hose, but instead of drying and lubing it, I then let it sit around for about two or three weeks and get good and petrified. Hmm, maybe that's why it's so damn creaky and squeaky. :blah:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
pangeist said:
Its actually a good idea to lube the dust wipers on your fork stanchions. Gently pry them away from the stanchions with a small pointed pick or something and apply lube, it will increase the lifespan of your forks and keep the stanchions moving freely.
this is less of an issue with inverted forks. the oil is always in contact with the wiper on the inside of the fork, and the leg movement transmits enough to keep things lubed.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks for the ideas,

So it is alright to hose down a bike with a garden hose? I mean it has alot of pressure but it isn't a pressure washer. If I blasted it with a hose, dryed it off with a rag, and then lubed the drivetrain, would it be good for a summer? I mean I'd do that every couple of weeks. I'd take it in every spring for a real tune up.

Thanks,
Cam

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
So basically you can get water anywhere except the drivetrain and not worry about it? My plan is to take a bucket of warm water with dish soap and wipe down the entire thing, then take it out for a spin to dry it off. I mean, wiping down frame pivots, headset, hubs, BB, etc. is alright if the water isn't under pressure and you dry it off afterwards right??

Another thing, on my Hayes Mag brakes there seems to be rust surrounding the bolts that hold on the disk onto the hub. How can I remove this?

What kind of chain lube is good? I've always used WD40 but I've heard that it isn't ideal.

So say I hose down the chain and gears, scrub them with something, take it out for a spin to dry it off, and then lube it, is that a good idea? Besides the chain itself, what else do you do? The pivots for the little cogs on the derailleur? On and in between the cogs on the casette? See I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Cam

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dont use dish soap!!!!! Just spray it with PLAIN water and then wipe it down. If you use ANY soap it will get into pivots, shifting cables, and the BB and break down the grease.

I wash my bike a lot. Use PLAIN water and dry. Then take it for a spin. Then dry it off again.

The best thing to use on the chain is White Lightening. WD40 attracts dirt. Dont ever use WD40 on a bike.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Glad to hear that before I wash it. So plain water EVERYWHERE won't hurt anything? This white lightning, is it really expensive? Is it all you need to keep the drivetrain in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Cam

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Tharkun said:
Glad to hear that before I wash it. So plain water EVERYWHERE won't hurt anything? This white lightning, is it really expensive? Is it all you need to keep the drivetrain in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Cam

Ya, White Lightening is cheap, $3-10 depending on bottle size. You have to put it on the chain about every 2-3 rides but it doesn't attract dirt. Plain water wont hurt grease like soap or degreasers will. You will still probably have to regrease your bike 2-3 times a year, though. When you do regrease your bike use Phil's Waterproof Grease. You local bike store will carry White Lightening and Phils. I wash my bike a lot. All my buddys make fun of how clean my bike is but, hey, I have a lot of money in the thing and I want it looking and running like new EVERY ride. Good Luck.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Wow, I got a little water on my disk brakes and they SUCKED afterwards. I couldn't lock the front wheel on a gravel road. It's a good thing I don't ride around in the rain.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting rid of the rust around the disk brake bolts?

Thanks,
Cam

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Your disc brakes should work the same if you get water on them.

Take the bolts out. Wipe them off and apply grease and reinstall. Just wipe your bike dry after you wash it.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
This is like a brand new bike though so you think I need to re-grease the bolts?

Thanks,
Cam

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
It seems to be always muddy here in NY. It's very rare that I don't have to hose down the bike after a ride. I wish I didn't have to...and I try to be careful where I spray the water, but I know it must affect the BB, hubs, headset, etc
Usual Routine:
Hose down, let dry, lube drivetrain (I use liquid wrench stuff), wipe off extra

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Just keep the hose from directly hitting the bearings and pivots. It doesn't take a lot of preasure to get water ina sealed bearing and start trouble. I hit my frame and swing arm vigorously with the water and where caked on mud is bust out picks and brushes to clean out nooks and crannies of mud then a light hosing (like hose w/no nossle) of the areas.

Be careful around hubs, BB, Headsets, and pivots.....blast the crap out of most everything else. :) I like to atleast hit my tires and clean them before wheeling my steed into the house. Oh, and let it dry before bringing it in and letting it leave black spots on the carpet. ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yes even brand new bikes need grease on bolts. Not all bike shops use grease on bolts.

My rule of thumb is; any bolt I remove, I put grease on before I put it back in.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
sanjuro said:
I should point this fvck-up. After riding it in the rain and washing my bike afterwards, a few days later I noticed water dripping out my frame from the headset. I took the seatpost out about a cup of water dripped out.

I am drilling a tiny hole in BB to prevent this from happening again...
That happened with my old bike. :)

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I like to use a bucket of soap & water, and sponge / brush mine down.

I use this stuff called "oil-eater" (from Costco) for the drivetrain, to get the old spooge out.

I then clean everything down really well, using an old toothbrush for the nooks & crannies (the ribcage on my Demo is hard to get without a small brush).

To dry it off, I use my air compressor.. but I DONT blast the **** out of it. I just use it to blow all the water off of the big areas, but never applying pressure to anything that has bearings, or greased "fittings". I then go back and re-grease the threads on my bolts that may need it, and then re-lube my drivetrain.

My bike doesn't squeak, groan, moan, make hardly any noise.. and most people get pissed off because it's always so damned clean. :)

What can I say, I take care of my baby.

;)

-Matt

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
i lightly hose my bike off not, not touching any pivots or moving parts, wipe it down and dry it, degrease the chain and lube it up, and make sure its looking nice and clean and running smooth

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just cleaned my bike with wet paper towels and touched up the black stuff with a sharpie. I used a park cog brush that also has a plastic side for between the cogs; it works for everything, especially behind my e-13 guide.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
mtnbrider said:
Wow kanter, your brakes don't work with water. What kind are they?

What are you talking about? I said disc brakes should work the same if you get water on them. Reread. :D

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
what i do is hose it down, take my seat off, anything else vital which u think is then take an air compresser...just spray off any major beads and let heat do the rest.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
mtnbrider said:
I just cleaned my bike with wet paper towels and touched up the black stuff with a sharpie. I used a park cog brush that also has a plastic side for between the cogs; it works for everything, especially behind my e-13 guide.
i went through a foot puddle and man e13s get squekay as hell, same with my bb :thumb:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
as for lubing the chain, i heard that getting some engine oil and dropping a drop on each link of the chain is supposed to work really well? anyone can back that up? otherwise, whats the best? right now i am just using finish line teflon plus.