Quantcast

WD-40 Okay For Chain Lube? (after wiping off excess)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Old_Dude
Just wondering - I've been using it for a while and seems to be okay.

Also, is WD-40 okay for lubing cables & derailleurs?

Thanks,

OD
It works in a pinch, but its not really a lube. I use it on my chain to clean it before lubing it. For cables I recommend and only use Tri-flow.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
The problem with using WD-40 as a lube is that it
a) attracts dirt like mad
b) breaks down very quickly

so you'll end up with a dirty, dry chain pretty fast.

in a pinch, you can use TriFlow (which has lube properties, but still attracts dirt like hell), but i recommend any of the many wax-based lubes out there

Pedro's Ice Wax
Schwinn Citrus Wax
etc etc

they work way good. try em, you'll never go back. worth the $5 or whatever it is for a bottle.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

WD-40 is a water displacement spray, not a lube. I'm with the others when they say "in a pinch".

Otherwise, get a good chain lube or wax that is specific to the kind of conditions you ride in.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks again.

I've got some chain wax in a can still left over from my MX days - this should work well, eh? Seems like, if it does work, it should cost a heck of a lot less as you can get a large can of this stuff for the same price as a tiny little bottle at the LBS - right?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
It is mostly solvent, some carrier, and MAX like 10% lube. Even a small bit of solvent just creeps. It'll get into your hub and BB, eat the grease and leave you with a big rebuild job on your hands.

Chain lube is only a few bucks and it'll last you a while!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Shibby
The problem with using WD-40 as a lube is that it
a) attracts dirt like mad
b) breaks down very quickly

so you'll end up with a dirty, dry chain pretty fast.

in a pinch, you can use TriFlow (which has lube properties, but still attracts dirt like hell), but i recommend any of the many wax-based lubes out there

Pedro's Ice Wax
Schwinn Citrus Wax
etc etc

they work way good. try em, you'll never go back. worth the $5 or whatever it is for a bottle.

White Lightning?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Been using White Lightening for years and I swear by it. Tried the Pedro's Ice Wax a few times, but didn't like it. It was too thick and didn't penetrate very well. And this was when it was warm. Any of the wax lubes will be very thick and difficult to use when cold, so don't leave them in you car in winter - unless you live in FL!

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I use WD-40 but I clean my chain after every ride. I don't know what you have to do when using real chain lubes but I think keeping the thing clean is one of the most important parts of long chain life.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by riderx
Been using White Lightening for years and I swear by it. Tried the Pedro's Ice Wax a few times, but didn't like it. It was too thick and didn't penetrate very well. And this was when it was warm. Any of the wax lubes will be very thick and difficult to use when cold, so don't leave them in you car in winter - unless you live in FL!

Or in San Fran...

Only gets down to about 40 and that is rare.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Pro-Link. Its not a wax but leaves very little residue and you get almost no buildup unlike the waxes. Of the waxes I foung White Lightning Race Day the best. None will remain on the chain if its wet, really wet, like North Vancouver wet. Only chainsaw lubes stay on for any time in that wet. But then you have to clean the drivetrain very often. I tried a MX lube once but it was too thick for a derailleur chain. Gummed things up really well. MX chains are bigger and spin way faster. Any lube that works well in that environment might be too heavy for a bicycle. But I haven't researched recent MX lubes.

Here's a tip. Ever drive to a trail to discover that you forgot to oil you're chain? Its dry and squeekin'. What to do? Engine dipstick will provide enough 10w30 for the ride. Don't make a habit of that though.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
i'm in the (very wet) uk, and i nomally lube my chain twice a week, it doesn't rust and is smooth all the time, if your somewhere dry just lube the chain with a lube them wipe most of the exess of with an oily rag, then there'll be much less lube for the dirt to stick to, and the chain will still be smooth as the lube will be keeping the pivots alive.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by Random
I use WD-40 but I clean my chain after every ride. I don't know what you have to do when using real chain lubes but I think keeping the thing clean is one of the most important parts of long chain life.
You're going to kill your bottom bracket, freehub, rear hub bearings, and possibly other stuff doing that. Might as well spray your chain with solvent. Keeping the chain lubed properly will prolong its life too. WD-40 is not a lubricant!!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by KonaDude

You're going to kill your bottom bracket, freehub, rear hub bearings, and possibly other stuff doing that. Might as well spray your chain with solvent. Keeping the chain lubed properly will prolong its life too. WD-40 is not a lubricant!!
I use WD-40 about once every two month to get the sh!t out of the chain, I let it dry and I put oil after. Is that bad or not??? :confused:

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
...if the chain's off the bike and gets thoroughly cleaned after, no biggie. If it's on the bike, the stuff sprays all over the place, and solvent creeps. It will get into stuff.

I've never once had to clean my chain. It's clean. I wipe it down once in awhile, but if you need solvent to clean it there's too much lube on there.