Quantcast

Weak Brakes

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
I recently purchased a new bike with disc brakes and noticed that they are pretty weak(mostly the back). Do these types of brakes have break-in period ir is there osme adjustment I can make to get more power out of them? I they're hayes mx-2 brakes but I'm not sure (at school can't look right now)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
First off, you get about 70% of your braking power from the front brakes... just the physics of it and applies to all brake types.

Second, I don't know about disc brakes cuz I have none, but if you were on a roadie, I'd say upgrade your brake pads and see how that works. Most pads that come stock aren't that great, so if you were on a roadie, I'd say switch to Koolstops. In addition to better grab, they also don't wear the kind of groove in the rim (or rotor) like cheaper pads.

Hopefully someone with disc knowledge can advise you further or if Koolstop makes something for your brakes, give them a try.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
All disk brakes have a wear in period. It takes one or two good rides to brake them in to their full potential. The pads need to be burnished, and the rotors get some of the pad material imbedded in it. You can also try just riding up and down your street and slamming on the brakes until they start working better.

ijewonyou23

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
PEE-AY
if they are mx-2's then you might as well just throw them out right now. although disk brakes do have a break in period, some brakes are just complete crap. ive ridden mx-2's for a while and they never get better. if your looking for an inexpensive disk that actually works and will stop you before you run into a tree, try avid bb5's or bb7's

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
MX2s are pretty far down on the food chain. Probably the best thing you could do to boost their performance would be, like Opie said, to get some better pads. EBC Reds are my favorite. Galfers are good too.