Quantcast

Website suggestions for complete bike build steps...

Gnar

Chimp
May 14, 2004
ATL
My friend that was going to help me build up the 04 SGS DH World Cup that is coming in the mail anytime now is going on a Cross Country trip to hit all the DH races from the east coast to Whistler so he can't really help me now. Do you guys have any suggestions of websites that have step by step instructions for a complete bike build that makes sense and in fairly simple terms. I can ride a bike pretty well, but the tech thing is still fairly new to me when it gets down to all the technical terms. Appreciate any comments.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
You'll need quite a few tools that you probably don't have - headset press of some kind, homemade or purchased (NO HAMMER TRICKS!), freewheel remover/installer, chain whip, BB tool, and maybe a few other things depending on the build kit. Basically be patient and GO SLOW, if you have to "come up with a way" dont do it, in other words, if something doesnt fit with what you have, dont force it.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
If you're at all unsure of yourself, I wouldn't make an attempt at assembling the bike by yourself. I learned the hard way, and had to buy a couple parts twice because I F'd them up by trying to install them incorrectly. Bike parts are expensive, and you'd better know what you're doing before you start working on a $3000 or $4000 piece of metal.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
mplutodh1 said:
You'll need quite a few tools that you probably don't have - headset press of some kind, homemade or purchased (NO HAMMER TRICKS!), freewheel remover/installer, chain whip, BB tool, and maybe a few other things depending on the build kit. Basically be patient and GO SLOW, if you have to "come up with a way" dont do it, in other words, if something doesnt fit with what you have, dont force it.

You don't need a chainwhip to assemble a bike. :blah:
Sorry...had to.
I would find a monkey who know what they are doing and would do it for a 6'er. Otherwise, go to a shop. There are alot of little tricks that you won't learn until somebody shows you. You might be riding around on a time bomb if you do something wrong.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
buildyourown said:
You don't need a chainwhip to assemble a bike. :blah:
Sorry...had to.
Alright, fried brain... haha thats what I get for visualizing my toolbox without actually thinking about what I would use... so alright, no chainwhip

but yeah take it to a shop