Quantcast

weds...vanity deaths in ocean graveyards gfmt

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
radio personality: how do you bring something like that up.

naval officer caller: you go down and wave goodbye...

spit out a good donut laughing.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oldest son has his graduation today from 9th grade and will move to what is sort of the equivalent of high school after the summer break.

Rode yesterday. Now the humidity has entered the room. Still struggling with the strange jump I am trying to clear. Improved some Strava time and had fun. Little wrist pain. Will need to try to adjust the bar.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Super chilly here, snow above 8 or 9k. Even turned on the heat a little, it was 49 inside, and that doesn’t please the wifey. Still bad pain in the morning, but trying to just take non-opiates except a little Tramadol. So fun! This month is basically the best riding conditions of the year under 9K.
oh, well, at least my teeth are healthy, so I got that going for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Back to reality and it sucks. Had a really great vacation, though. Very relaxing and enjoyed the wife and the pups. Abbey is a beach dog and was in heaven with an empty beach to zoom.

Floors look great, very happy and we got $450 back because the existing tile was cheap and poorly installed, so it came up easy and clean during demo.

Wife isn't a photog. :rofl:

FB_IMG_1687316617893.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello ppls

not a restful night of sleep with my post-surgery knee, no

but I am alive and hobbling about yes

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
1/3 of the way though the work day. Fried Egg sandwich for breakfast. Gonna start to make bread tonight. Fed and split the starter last night. Half went into the fridge the other half got left out to ripen. I just fed that half and split it. Should be able to make the dough for two loaves tonight and be able to bake by Thursday night

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Working remotely from my mom's place in GER as I had to accompany her for a small surgery and help her the days after. Old folks do not recover that quickly, but she is doing reasonably well. Super hot and humid weather does not really help. :(

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Trying to permit a project in my hometown, and the "building department" is perhaps the most dysfunctional and disorganized I have ever encountered. FTS does not even begin to describe my current attitude.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Trying to permit a project in my hometown, and the "building department" is perhaps the most dysfunctional and disorganized I have ever encountered. FTS does not even begin to describe my current attitude.
Send then official correspondence, return receipt and regular mail, tell them what's up, tell them if they disagree or feel it's contrary to law, to send a written response in 7 business days. Some people like this you can't call on the phone. You give them a reasonable ability to respond and if they do not, you got a paper trail that you can sue them by if things go south later.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Oops?
That guy posted on Reddit about it last night, it was interesting.

Also interesting, is that this thing is bolted shut from the outside. So those on the inside are forever trapped, if lets say they happened to be on the surface.

And if they're on the surface, the thing has no location devices. So they have zero ways of tracking it, if they lose communication with it.

The port window on the thing was also originally only rated to something like 1300 meters, but they were going to go deeper with it anyways, for reasons. Its hard to decipher is that port was redesigned afterwords or not, but the Titanic is 3700 meters down.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Send then official correspondence, return receipt and regular mail, tell them what's up, tell them if they disagree or feel it's contrary to law, to send a written response in 7 business days. Some people like this you can't call on the phone. You give them a reasonable ability to respond and if they do not, you got a paper trail that you can sue them by if things go south later.
No disagreement to this, but that's between the owner and the City. I'm just the "licensed professional" in this scenario.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Went onsite for a meeting just to find out that it was supposed to be virtual. Oops. New assistant city manager, so a kind of important person to not fuck up with, but ended up being really good since we were able to meet and go through a lot more than usual.

Studying and working the rest of today.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Also interesting, is that this thing is bolted shut from the outside. So those on the inside are forever trapped, if lets say they happened to be on the surface.
This part isn't that odd to me, granted some form of escape hatch would be wise, I guess, but at the depths something is likely to go wrong it's not like they have any time to escape, and if they did they'd be squished/drown long before they made any meaningful progress swimming to the surface.

And if they're on the surface, the thing has no location devices. So they have zero ways of tracking it, if they lose communication with it.

The port window on the thing was also originally only rated to something like 1300 meters, but they were going to go deeper with it anyways, for reasons. Its hard to decipher is that port was redesigned afterwords or not, but the Titanic is 3700 meters down.
These two things I find very weird/unacceptable. They can't either tether it to the boat or buy a Garmin In-Reach?

The rating seems like an issue with "rating" not the actual ability to perform at depths due to human occupancy. I'm no submariner, but I imagine it goes a little something like lifting, or fall protection where the safety factor goes up significantly when used in an overhead lift or fall protection. So perhaps the vessel and glass is capable of 5k meters, but not the 15k meters it would have to survive in order to be certified for human occupancy at 5k. Why would a business think they should service rich folks without safety protocols in place? Do they just love the idea of being sued?

I also now have a serious urge to watch Hunt for the Red October.