Quantcast

Weight limit question...

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
So I weighed my Madone today and was a little grumpy to find it weighing 17.5lbs with pedals. So I am going to order a new set of bars and seatpost on Monday. Being that I am a 200lb rider I am a little conserned about rider weight limit on parts.

So, Does anyone know if the Easton EC90 stem and bar have a rider weight limit? I cant find one.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I think you'll be disappointed by the results. I was shoppings weights of components for my LeMond, and saw that my weight loss would be minimal from changing either. (despite the aluminum handlebars I've got) I am considering changing to carbon bars for a smoother ride - I'd probably lose 50 grams - barely enough for even serious weight weenies to notice.

Just don't end up like a buddy of mine who goes on one 15 mile ride per month, and always complains about how his 1,500 gram wheelset is holding him back.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
rooftest said:
Just don't end up like a buddy of mine who goes on one 15 mile ride per month, and always complains about how his 1,500 gram wheelset is holding him back.
I figured I could drop 200g total, but it will cost me. I have an AL FSA bar on there right now and a Bontrager post.

Oh, and I did 35 miles before work today, I do that 3 days a week.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Bars and seatpost are probably the least productive areas to lose weight from. You won't lose much and it'll cost a lot. Rotating parts like wheels, tires, tubes and even pedals are a much better place to start. But as a 200 lb rider, I think you should be concerned about loss of strength in any of those areas. I'd win the pissing contest by crushing your friends in arm wrestling. Then train yourself lean and mean and crush them on the road.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
EricMcFlow said:
I figured I could drop 200g total, but it will cost me. I have an AL FSA bar on there right now and a Bontrager post.
That's gonna be tough. The difference between my aluminum bars and some Race XXX's (that Lance won the tour with) is 75 grams and $350. I doubt you've got a cheapo seatpost on now, so you can maybe pick up 30 grams there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind that:

Magnus Backstedt: 200lbs, broke 5 Bianchi carbon bikes before racing full time on his titanium "Roubaix" bike
Tom Boonen: 176lbs, broke a few Time carbon frames until they beefed up the BB area (very doable with a "lugged" carbon frame, impossible with an one-piece frame without changing the molds)

Carbon is great, light is great, but there is reality. While none of us have their power, we also do not receive 5 bikes a year. Which is why I am very glad I ride a 18lb ti bike.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
sanjuro said:
Keep in mind that:

Magnus Backstedt: 200lbs, broke 5 Bianchi carbon bikes before racing full time on his titanium "Roubaix" bike
Tom Boonen: 176lbs, broke a few Time carbon frames until they beefed up the BB area (very doable with a "lugged" carbon frame, impossible with an one-piece frame)

Carbon is great, light is great, but there is reality. While none of us have their power, we also do not receive 5 bikes a year. Which is why I am very glad I ride a 18lb ti bike.
I'm with sanjuro on this. I ride a 18.5lb Strong Custom (100% Foco steel) and damn happy with it. I carbon'd the area I needed for comfort (seatpost, bars, cranks, and fork - basically all contact points to suck up vibrations), and not for weight (ok, I got some chi chi carbon cages for my carbon fetish). I'm 180 ± 5 lbs. I have a De Rosa (17 lbs) that has a max weight limit of 195 lbs and I get a bit worried when I ride that bike. Your Madone is in that ball park and you've got around 20 lbs on me...

The other thing is light parts generally = flexy, especially for a clydesdale class rider (you're not quite there, but close). By going w/ a bit more beef on the bike/components, your energy transfer might improve (= slight increase in speed...?). This isn't really a point to notice on bars or seatposts, but frame, wheels and cranks - a slightly heavier, but much stiffer wheel (increase in spoke count) will be more efficient than a flexy, low spoke count wheel. My $0.02.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Pau11y said:
I have a De Rosa (17 lbs) that has a max weight limit of 195 lbs and I get a bit worried when I ride that bike

You know to much worryin' can lead to ulcers and stress. i hate to see a fellow monkey go thru that. So in the name of good will i am willin to take that De Rosa off your hands:rofl:

Seriously, you have any pics of it?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
If you really want to lose weight in the bar/stem area and are concerned with excessive flex or weight limits, just go with the Bontrager XXX Lite bar and stem. Both are carbon, about as light as they come, have no weight limits and are pretty darn stiff. That's the way I'd go if I were in your shoes at least. . .

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Muuqi said:
If you really want to lose weight in the bar/stem area and are concerned with excessive flex or weight limits, just go with the Bontrager XXX Lite bar and stem. Both are carbon, about as light as they come, have no weight limits and are pretty darn stiff. That's the way I'd go if I were in your shoes at least. . .

I already have the XXX carbon stem. The bike snob in my wants to not put anymore Bontrager on it.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
EricMcFlow said:
I already have the XXX carbon stem. The bike snob in my wants to not put anymore Bontrager on it.
You're easy to please, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Why would you run a carbon stem with aluminum bars in the first place? That's worse than Opie's custom frame with 105 9-speed components!

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
rooftest said:
Why would you run a carbon stem with aluminum bars in the first place? That's worse than Opie's custom frame with 105 9-speed components!

Becasue, I really like the bar, had it before this bike, and the carbon verson was not availible in a 44cm, still isnt. And, the Bontrager carbon bar I had was not as Campy freindly as I hoped. Like I said, inner Snob.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Lets not forget frame size, after all the larger the frame the heavier it gets. And most quoted weights for bikes they usually quote a small frame.

I know that my Q-Pro is 10 oz lighter than a friends of almost identical spec, the difference is mines a 54 his is a sixty something.

Makes winnig those bragging rights contests easier though. Ok that and titanium bolt ins rather than QR's.

Do the carbon treks still suffer from the chainstay snappage problems that they used to?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
GravityFreakTJ said:
You know to much worryin' can lead to ulcers and stress. i hate to see a fellow monkey go thru that. So in the name of good will i am willin to take that De Rosa off your hands:rofl:

Seriously, you have any pics of it?
I did, but it's now being stripped down for sale. I've got a full DA kit and other Al parts to swap out the nice carbon bits. The pic is an older one, before I added the FSA SL carbon triple, Kuota carbon post, the EC90 Equipe bars, and the Deda Mag stem. Most of these parts will end up on the Strong; the SSL is already on the Strong.

Attachments

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
JoeRay said:
Lets not forget frame size, after all the larger the frame the heavier it gets. And most quoted weights for bikes they usually quote a small frame.

I have a 58cm Madone and am compairing to a 59cm six13.