Quantcast

Weight Training & Mountain Biking

TimothyL

Chimp
Jun 23, 2002
Houston,Texas
Hey Guys-I have trained with weights quite a few years.I got into biking a couple of years ago and immediately was addicted.I still work out but cut out running.For you guys who train how does that effect you and your biking skillsTo be honest I have a lot of power to do climbs and endurance but the tight technical trails get me.I also ski and have the same problem.I love hills and speed but when it comes to manuvering between two trees Im clumsy.Any tips?

MBmaniak

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
I found that a riser bar and a shorter stem helps really a lot. Being in a less stretched out possition is way easier for downhills for me. I guess It works different for everyone though.

MexIcan

Chimp
Jul 18, 2002
Stillwater, OK
try doing two step excercises like squat/shoulder press, 45degree lunges/curls and other things to that effect and it will help with balance and coordination look on the men's health website for other ideas.

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by TimothyL
Hey Guys-I have trained with weights quite a few years.I got into biking a couple of years ago and immediately was addicted.I still work out but cut out running.For you guys who train how does that effect you and your biking skillsTo be honest I have a lot of power to do climbs and endurance but the tight technical trails get me.I also ski and have the same problem.I love hills and speed but when it comes to manuvering between two trees Im clumsy.Any tips?
practice, thats all, practice makes halfway-decent

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
My trick in the trees (biking and skiing) is to look at the spot BETWEEN the trees, not at the trees! As for the other stuff, keep up the weight training, especially in the off-season. (You might even run a little more when you are not biking, just to get a different workout and to keep your aerobic fitness up.) Good luck... :D