Quantcast

weird feeling...

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
OK, so i did a really big (but really slow) 180 hop today and landed like a sack of potatoes at a standstill!

Bike made a disgusting noise; I panicked, checked it over - no cracks/buckles/bends/etc - all was well; or so i thought....

Now everytime i lift up, the back wheel feels like it's rolling over corrugated iron - extremley odd rumbling sensation is the best way i can describe it.

Doesn't happen when i'm just rolling, but seems to be something to do with loading the rear wheel.
Noticed it also feels weird when manualling (slower?- harder to pull up) especially when manualling and carving

Really really weird

any ideas???

:wtf:

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Stopping after landing 180 would make we think something is up with your cog/driver, same with it acting funny when your manualing. It could also just be a blown bearing casing in your hub. I'm a terrible bike mechanic though, so take that for what it's worth.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Since you have already looked over the frame I would check the rim, nipples, spokes, and then disassemble the hub and give it a good check over and rebuild. If that's not it check the bottom bracket/cranks/chainwheel. Since you also experience problems with manuals and putting stress and torque on the wheel the problem should show itself when the hub is taken apart. Honestly I'd rebuild it anyway. Good luck

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
Just take it apart (or let your local bike shop do it) and put it back together, you will more than likely find that your axle is broken or your bearings are trashed.

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
Cheers for all the help chaps!

Went down to the LBS today - the guy took one look at it - "bent axle" !

Got a new one ordered from KHE - but was just looking at some info on the hub on alansbmx and it said something about the hub using some special axle system - wait - cut and paste - doh!

It says this...

"• The new HURE cassette hub comes with the “EAS” (Equal Axle System). The weight is 414g (14mm CrMo). KHE Cassette uses 6 Claws, and also features our own developed 3/3 clutch system where the power force of three claws is alternated. So the system allows more power than any other hub. The most important thing is that theirs a bearing where the main force and presure is working on: under the claws. Most BMX cassette hubs (from other brands) use bearings at the sprocket but none at the claws. Our KHE driver is featured with two smaller sealed bearings under the sprocket and one bigger bearing under the claws + two sealed bearings inside the alloy hub body. The "Hure" is available with 14mm axle, 36 or 48H. Coloured Coffee Pearl. The front hub also comes with the “EAS” system & four sealed bearings used for Street or Dirt riding.

"What's the with this EAS system?
We have been working and testing our new axle system “Equal Axle System” (EAS). for quite some time now It is a rather simple & hollow oversized axle in which it utilises specially designed ends. The biggest problem generally faced in this area is that after a bolt brakes, the thread inside the axle can cause a problem. This is why we designed and developed our own system. Our KHE designed adapters come with a larger flanges placed behind the dropout so that in any case of the axle breaking, then our adapters can be easily replaced. KHE offers its adapters in alloy, titanium & CrMo. This way for example you can use an alloy adaptor on the left, and a CrMo or Titanium one on the right side. It just depends on which side you grind. Dirt Jumpers can use alloy on both sides if they don't use pegs. This way every rider can customise the hubs to fit his or her needs. "

Cos i know nothing about hubs that doesn't really mean very much to me (and to be honest i just skim read it! I'm terrible when it comes to any kind of technical info! I swear it's a form of dyslexia - anything to do with numbers or science and my brain melts!)

Anyway, anything to take note of or watch out for?

Btw, getting new bearings ordered whilst i'm at it

Also, how do i know when i need a new driver?

And finally! This stuff won't be in stock for a couple of weeks - do you reckon it's ok to keep riding it or will i cause further damage?

Thanks again.

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
i would say that it sounds like your average bike company gimik but if thats what you need get it.

new bearings are a good idea.

riding on it hard for a long time will probably cause some damage to your hub body. i dont think riding around town would be bad but i wouldnt, just wait it out, go ride your other bikes (if you have them)