Welcome To The World of Red Bull

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8067970.stm

Germany bans cola after drug test

Red Bull says coca leaf extracts were used worldwide as a natural flavouring
The authorities in six German states have ordered retailers to stop selling Red Bull Cola energy drinks after traces of cocaine were found in it.

The recall came after a sample analysis conducted in North-Rhine Westphalia found one litre of the drink contained 0.4 micrograms of the banned substance.
Officials said the cocaine levels were too low to pose a health threat but were not permitted in foodstuffs.

Red Bull said its cola was "harmless and marketable" in both the US and EU.
The company said coca leaf extracts were used worldwide as a natural flavouring, and that its own tests had found no traces of cocaine.

Classified as narcotic
The illegal cocaine alkaloid - one of 10 found in coca and representing only 0.8% of the plant's chemical make-up - is chemically removed before use, as mandated by international anti-narcotics agencies.
"There is no scientific basis for this ban on Red Bull Cola because the levels of cocaine found are so small," Fritz Soergel, the head of the Institute for Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research in Nuremberg, Bavaria, told Time magazine.

"And it's not even cocaine itself. According to the tests we carried out, it's a non-active degradation product with no effect on the body. If you start examining lots of other drinks and food so carefully, you'd find a lot of surprising things."

But the authorities in North-Rhine Westphalia said the presence of coca leaf extracts meant the cola could not be classified as a foodstuff but as a narcotic, which would require a special licence.
When Coca-Cola was first produced in the 19th Century, it famously contained traces of cocaine, but has not since 1903.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Nobody cares since nobody drinks this SH*T. Tried one at the Open and it tasted like stall coke and a 65 year old prostitute.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I drink the stuff to help stay up on long drives sometimes, seriously besides coffee most energy "fill in the blank" that is all-natural tastes like butt.

I will say though that at the Clemson DH race they had them free, and although I didn't like them before the race they tasted much better at the end of the race when I really wanted a flavored drink. Tasted totally different IMHO.

I did try one once before a XC ride and regretted it about 10 min into the ride when a horrible case of heartburn set in.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think it taste like crap. id rather drink Cocaine then Red Bull Cola.

...for some reason they took it off the market (although it can be bought in the intraweb)....cant imagine why.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will say though that at the Clemson DH race they had them free, and although I didn't like them before the race they tasted much better at the end of the race when I really wanted a flavored drink. Tasted totally different IMHO.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I had that stuff a few weeks ago, but it was loaded up with Jack Daniels, so it wasn't that bad. It got better as the night went on, too. Or maybe I was just loaded.