Quantcast

what are some good reasonably cheap disc wheel sets?

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
im loooking at gettin a giant iguana but it doesnt come with discs. when i upgrade it i want to get a better wheel set but i dont want to spend alot of money. i know i will buy the avid mechanical disc brakes but what it a good wheel set to match those awesome brakes? thanks again guys.

~BP1080

NJPhil

Chimp
Dec 3, 2001
New Jersey
You could find a Rhino Lite with XT Disc hub wheelset for < $200 from a mail order catalog, they should hold up. I don't have any experience with the rims, but my rear XT Disc hub on the HT has held up to some abuse :) .

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
My advice: Don't buy a new bike without discs, only to upgrade later. It WILL cost much more. Doesn't the Ranier come with Avid discs, Marz. fork, etc for $750? Smokin' deal, you should wait a little longer, save up a little extra $$$, and buy that one IMHO.

To answer your question, go with Shimano Deore or XT hubs (this year's Deore appears to be last year's XT relabled) and some cheap rims -

-Mavic 219s are disc-only, and cheap (but heavy)
-221s - cheap, lighter, aren't disc-only.
-223s - cheap disc-only rim, but it's kinda crappy.
-317s - very good, disc-only, but super-light and more expensive.

It also depends on how you ride, if you're big and ride hard, get Sun Rhyno Lites or Mavic 219s; if you're a toothpick, you can get away with light rims like the 221 or the 317.

Note that the 221 isn't recommended for disc use. Nevertheless, I think it would work if you're not riding too hard, and its dirt cheap.