Quantcast

what are the best FORKS for 24" + pegs

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
What are the best shock forks for 24" and use with pegs?

The Union Street site says:

Are there any suggested forks?

We designed the bike around an 80mm Sherman Fork but have ridden it with Fox and Marzocchi forks in varying lengths from 60-100 millimeters, the Rock Shox Pike will have top cap clearance issues as it does with many other frames, the Fox is a tight fit and would work best with headsets with a taller lower stack height such as the Woodman.

Anything else??

Does any suspension fork have spacing for a regular bmx hub? What about 14mm axle bmx hub?

THANKS

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
for manitou, most people ive seen run the QR dropouts and file out to 10mm so they can run a bmx hub.

on marz, if you can find a d-street axle, you can swap out the existing one for that and run pegs.

i doubt you could fit a 14mm axle in any mtb fork, i think 3/8th only

the union guys modded a manitou 20mm fork for pegs too but i dont remember the steps

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
oh yeah and :

1) are there any issues with certain forks and running a gyro? like steer tube not being long enough for a few extra stack washers?

2) are some forks capable of being run a lot stiffer than others, or are they all adjustable to the same degree?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
As a note the new frames have no problems clearing a pike...

Stock Steerer tubes are way long so Gyro's shouldn't be a problem on a used fork you'll want to get the steerer tube length before buying.

There is always some alternative to make a fork stiffer via commonly available springs if your handy with a file or dremel.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i run a marzocchi 4x lowered to 80mm (now 65mm) with a d street axle and pegs with a snafu mobius detangler. works wonders

N

nbrocks

does anyone have any ideas as where to find a d-street axle?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IMHO, just go rigid. the forks are lighter and cheaper (not to mention more precise/consistent/reliable when doing front peg tricks). your wrists might be angry with you for a while, but you'll become a MUCH smoother rider.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm with Jon on this one. Pegs put a hurting on a fork, and if you're just getting into it you'll want something tough. I have enough trouble with suspension forks as it is without the added stress of a peg.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
most bmx'ers run 3/8" front axles anyway with pegs, so there's no reason to have 14mm front.

i'm just concerned about the dropout and a peg fitting up against it. my current Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro definitely does not take a peg, b/c of the recessed bolt area.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
can anyone post some close up picture of how they run a peg. i've ridden bmx for years, but i don't know anyone around here that runs pegs on a suspension fork.

here are a couple of pics if the homies Glod Label with Stance lowers. a 14mm rear bmx axle (perfect length), peg, a couple nuts and washers later. the last pic is crappy, but you can see the recessed area of the fork where the washers slip into(it's the same on the other side too, but i didn't have a close shot)...

Attachments

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
cool, thanks for the photos.

i found some Gold Labels here for $398 :

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16021-315_ANSGL7_KIT-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Manitou-Gold-Label-Jump-Series-2-Suspension-Fork-'07-w_-S-3-Headset.htm

what are "stance lowers"? are you saying that the Gold Label is works with 14mm axle or did you have to mod it ? that pricepoint website above says something about the fork having a 20mm axle...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2007_forks/product_129552.shtml
Manitou Gold Label Jump Series II

MSRP $ 399.00
Weight 4.6 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
Travel: 80mm or 100mm
Damping: FFD with Rebound Adjust
Spring: X-Firm Coil Spring
Casting: Magnesium RA
Steerer: 1 1/8" Steel Threadless
Crown: Satin Black and Solid
Axle: Hex Lock

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Marzocchi D-Street 24

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_front_shocks/product_124529.shtml

Submitted by dan vincent a Downhiller from weare, nh, usa
Date Reviewed: 12/27/2004 6:19:44 AM
FavoriteTrail: rye
Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
Price Paid: $445
Purchased At: naults
Strengths: the best street fork out there. fist you can put pegs on it. it has 20mm axle. 24 in. v-brakes and disk it is super strong. looks sweet on my rig. if you want a fork that will hold up on anything roll with this
Weaknesses: havent found a majoir one. little things like you air presure wasnt what i wanted but that was very easy to fix. and thats it
Similar Products Tried: z-1
Bike Setup: agent orange frame, d-street fork, deity bars and stem, halo sas wheels
Bottom Line: this is just a great fork. i has everything you could want in a street fork and nutheing you dont. it is strong enuff to hold up when you go big but smooth enuff for grinding.

the stance (Manitou Stance) lowers are the same, just black instead of white. the axle ends were drilled out to fit the 14mm axle thru the center of the 20mm axle, the washers make sure the axle is centered, the nuts on either end of the 14mm axle are then used for the preload....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you get a Zoke, get a Z1 or 4X and order the D-street axle from Zoke or a shop. You don't want the whole fork, trust me.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If you get a Zoke, get a Z1 or 4X and order the D-street axle from Zoke or a shop. You don't want the whole fork, trust me.
okay.... why would i get a Z1? the ones on the website have 150mm travel. i'm talking about a 24" wheel molly here for skatepark.

the 4x looks better.
4X WORLD CUP

We’ve got some of the best 4X racers in the world, so why not build a fork to showcase their talents? We used their input to create a fork that’s durable in the whoops and inspires confidence in the jumps. From the starting gate to the finish line, this fork is a performer.

- 110mm Travel
- RV Adjustability
- Coil w/ Air Assist Spring
- Alloy FR Steer Tube & Crown
- 32mm Alloy Stanchions
- 6” Post Mount (Max Disc 8”)
Additional Feature:
- 20mm Drop Outs
W/ Bolts & Axle

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, slammed they're great. I had one at 80mm and it was super stiff and beefy, but still decently light.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what do yall think about a Marz Dirt Jumper III for pegs, 24" wheel, on a Molly?

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/354452515.html

2007 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III NEW!!!! - $230

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-354452515@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-18, 12:18AM CDT

This is a new 2007 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3, DJ3 DJ III jump mountain bike suspension fork. The color is white. It claimed weight is 6.2 lbs. Fits 1 1/8 headsets. It's a take of of a Giant STP. NEVER BEEN RIDDEN

# RV oil damper design with external rebound adjustability
# 1-1/8" reinforced steel pre-pressed steerer tube with 32mm alloy stanchions
# 1-piece forged magnesium, Monolite lower legs with 9x100mm quick-release dropouts: disc brake only (51mm IS-QR tabs)
# M-design, (2.6" tire OK):

7-3/4" steerer

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
As for as manitou goes I have seen the USB crew just tap out the axel so they can thread a peg in.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what about using a regular 14mm axle bmx front hub and a step up washer to 20mm? (the same way a lot of people use a step up washer from a 3/8" hub to 14mm slot) ?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
We seem to answer this question quite often...

On a Sherman Jumper...

Left side: replace the allen head fastener with a standard fastner and washers for spacing...

Right Side: use a tap in the hollow end to allow the use of a 9/16 bolt (can't remember the tap size)

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I don't think that using the zocchi 4x for heavy street is a good idea.
The crown looks weak, its like a all mountain. The casting on lowers looks thin by the way (compared to a Dirt jumper).
If tou want zocchi the DJ2 in tour best bet.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
here are a couple of pics if the homies Glod Label with Stance lowers. a 14mm rear bmx axle (perfect length), peg, a couple nuts and washers later. the last pic is crappy, but you can see the recessed area of the fork where the washers slip into(it's the same on the other side too, but i didn't have a close shot)...
cool thanks for the pics. so what hub is that? is it a front 14mm bmx hub and you put a rear 14mm bmx axle in it?
aren't the slots on your forks 20mm?

cool thanks for the pics. so what hub is that? is it a front 14mm bmx hub and you put a rear 14mm bmx axle in it?
aren't the slots on your forks 20mm?
it's a regular 20mm front hub insalled on the fork normally. the 14mm rear bmx axle was just used because it was the perfect length. the ends of the 20mm axle are tapped out , flush thread on a nut and washer on the non-peg side of the 14mm axle, slip the axle thru the hub, washer and the other nut on the other side, slip/thread on your peg, thread on the outer axle nut and go grind...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Peg riders, do you do 50-50s on street, rails etc. or just mainly light use on ramp ?