Quantcast

What cable replacement streaming services to consider?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Eff xfinity. They're way too expensive now, they make you bundle a phone line if you have TV. I've never even plugged a phone in after 8+ years of service with them. Plus Peacock streaming is no longer included with xfinity and as I just discovered this morning with the start of the Premier League season, almost all the games are on Peacock now, not some there and some USA as it used to be. No idea what they'll try and charge for just internet.

Sling looks like it would be $55/month
Youtube TV, $73/month

What others are there for replacing a cable subscription? (I wish I could exclude FauxNews to avoid putting money towards them).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Eff xfinity. They're way too expensive now, they make you bundle a phone line if you have TV. I've never even plugged a phone in after 8+ years of service with them. Plus Peacock streaming is no longer included with xfinity and as I just discovered this morning with the start of the Premier League season, almost all the games are on Peacock now, not some there and some USA as it used to be. No idea what they'll try and charge for just internet.

Sling looks like it would be $55/month
Youtube TV, $73/month

What others are there for replacing a cable subscription? (I wish I could exclude FauxNews to avoid putting money towards them).
Our internet-only service is $73/mo. It includes Peacock+ as part of the service.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I cant offer any services suggestions as i only have internet BUT stealing things is the 'Merkin way...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Premier League season
Chromecast and a dodgy streaming site like Hesgoal?
Watched plenty games that way last season. Just checked and Hesgoal has been taken down. But I'm sure there'll be others.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our internet-only service is $73/mo. It includes Peacock+ as part of the service.
Still with xfinity?
We had it for free with our package until ~June this year, then it bacame a pay extra.
We use Hulu live and are very pleased with it.
Gracias, had forgotten Hulu.
Not heard of that one.
Chromecast and a dodgy streaming site like Hesgoal?
Watched plenty games that way last season. Just checked and Hesgoal has been taken down. But I'm sure there'll be others.
Peacock is only ~$6/month, so I'll happy pay that if we can drop a big chunk off the cable bill.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
So seeing as I have 3 kids of varying age, we have Disney, Prime, Youtube TV, Netflix, Paramount, Hulu, Apple TV+, and probably others Im not even remembering. Seems like Cable would be cheaper, but its not.

Paramount is really only good for Beavis and Butthead, and Youtube TV goes in price up every couple months. Prime is the least watched, but it comes with our Amazon membership, so we keep it. We end up watching Netflix and Disney the most.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We ditched xfinity for FIOS a while back and it's quite a bit better. Customer service is a thing and they didn't fight me when I switched to internet only it was shockingly painless. I pay $55 a month for 1gb internet.

We have added:
Netflix
Prime
Hulu
Peacock
Disney+

Peacock is only 4.99mo, but it has ads which pisses me off. Hulu is the same I think. Peacock has premier league as far as I know, but it might be in spanish for reasons. I wouldn't go back to cable, not for the $200 difference that's for sure. I wouldn't mind more live TV, particularly for local baseball/football/bakisball games

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We ditched xfinity for FIOS a while back and it's quite a bit better. Customer service is a thing and they didn't fight me when I switched to internet only it was shockingly painless. I pay $55 a month for 1gb internet.

We have added:
Netflix
Prime
Hulu
Peacock
Disney+

Peacock is only 4.99mo, but it has ads which pisses me off. Hulu is the same I think. Peacock has premier league as far as I know, but it might be in spanish for reasons. I wouldn't go back to cable, not for the $200 difference that's for sure. I wouldn't mind more live TV, particularly for local baseball/football/bakisball games
We've only got xfinity (which has great speeds) or crappy Centurylink DSL to choose from. Definitely going to get into that argument with them when they try to charge me the same for quitting 2 of their services leaving just internet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We've only got xfinity (which has great speeds) or crappy Centurylink DSL to choose from. Definitely going to get into that argument with them when they try to charge me the same for quitting 2 of their services leaving just internet.
That's a bummer. Fios isn't everywhere but it has been worth the switch for us, mostly just to not give comcast any more money