Quantcast

What can Brown destroy for you?

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
So, my buddy sends his santa cruz super 8 via UPS from Chicago to Seattle. The idea was to ride Whistler. When the bike arrives, we notice that the swing arm is bent. This is a huge swing arm! What did they run it over with? Now they are trying not to pay him for the damage. He was also inconvenienced by having to pay for three days of bike rental. The moral of the story is-Dont use UPS!

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I know some guys who used to work in baggage handling at Seatac Airport. They used to give peoples' bags "the field goal test". Anything that fell out was fair game.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Sounds like it wasn't packed very good! A DH bike stuffed into a box and no packing!

Did your friend put 4" of packing around the bike?
As stated in the user guide: Use at least four inches of packing around and between the contents on all six sides of the box.

Now who do you blame? UPS for mishandling the box or the person who sent an improperly packed box? Either way UPS is not going to pay for someones mistake.
Sorry!

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Certified Drunk said:
Sounds like it wasn't packed very good! A DH bike stuffed into a box and no packing!

As stated in the user guide: Use at least four inches of packing around and between the contents on all six sides of the box.

Now who do you blame? UPS for mishandling the box or the person who sent an improperly packed box? Either way UPS is not going to pay for someones mistake.
Sorry!
I agree, plus at some point that pile of crap swing arm was going to break anyway.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
stinsonblvd said:
UPS hires people at just above minimum wage to move boxes. Do you think a guy making this much even gives a rats ass?
The Super 8 is too havey for those people to lift into the truck.

:nuts:

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
stinsonblvd said:
UPS hires people at just above minimum wage to move boxes. Do you think a guy making this much even gives a rats ass?
people @ UPS huck boxes into to semi trailers like it ain't no thang. If you ship something then get a huge box and pack your stuff (all the empty space) with mega foam and or peanuts and plaster like 20 FRAGILE stickers on it if you don't want it destroyed.... But if your **** was destroyed then it was most likely not packed properly.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Advice for shipping any kind of bike:

1. Buy, rent, or borrow a proper hard shell bike case to ship it in. They are worth the money!

2. Make sure you put some type of spacer between the rear dropouts of your frame.

3. Last and most importantly, ship it FedEx! :D

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I understand that the people at UPS dont make much but it is starting to seem like they are destroying more stuff... On purpose?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
yep. I've only had problems when it wasn't packed properly by some jackass on ebay. Just got hosed this weekend though because of "a late train". Had my new mad max coming for the whistler trip and it was supposed to arrive Thursday before leaving....now I see it might be here today.
Thanks. I'm glad I didn't have to find out if my Switchblade was enough protection.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
AZRacerX said:
Advice for shipping any kind of bike:

1. Buy, rent, or borrow a proper hard shell bike case to ship it in. They are worth the money!

2. Make sure you put some type of spacer between the rear dropouts of your frame.

3. Last and most importantly, ship it FedEx! :D
Great advice!

Also, the faster the service the less handling it will receive. Overnight or 2day is always better than ground.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I work at UPS, the packages aren't handled as bad as you'd think...

They sit on a conveyor for 99% of the time they're not in a trailer or air can, and when they're loaded they're not thrown- you'll get fired after a couple warnings for that. Also, many precautions are taken not to crush or mangle boxes...

And for insurance to be paid you must have 2" of styrofoam OR bubble wrap on every side of the box, it's UPS policy.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
When I used to manage our replacement parts area I used to watch the UPS guy toss boxes into the back of the truck. I'm not saying he was throwing them like pitches, but he certainly wasn't handling them in a way we appreciated. And as for putting "FRAGILE" stickers on the box they really don't even seem to pay attention. I think they told us you have to ship it specially (read more $) to get them to pay attention.
We ship a lot of 5mm neoceramic glass and have bought in special boxes prefit to the different sizes of glass that utilize 1" hexacomb sheets on both sides of the box and around all four sides.
After having so many pieces of glass broken in shipment with the "insuffient packaging" auto-reply we brought in the UPS rep and ordered the hexacomb boxes/sheets under his recomondation. We went from about 4-6% getting broken to about 2-3% - we ship a LOT of glass. We still get the the auto-reply but now we just say we are packaging it in a method that so and so said would be sufficient and they usually take care of it. But it is still a fight.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
ive never worked at ups, but i did work at fedex unloading the tractor trailers. we were expected to unload at a MINIUM of 1,050 packages an hour for 5 hours straight, no breaks. to unolad that fast (about 1 package every 3 seconds), "liberties" must be taken with package care, especially with large, bulky, or heavy stuff, like bikes. while throwing stuff wasnt encouraged, the supervisors looked the other way if it meant it would speed up their numbers.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
zane said:
I work at UPS, the packages aren't handled as bad as you'd think...

They sit on a conveyor for 99% of the time they're not in a trailer or air can, and when they're loaded they're not thrown- you'll get fired after a couple warnings for that. Also, many precautions are taken not to crush or mangle boxes...

And for insurance to be paid you must have 2" of styrofoam OR bubble wrap on every side of the box, it's UPS policy.
I am a outgoing truck loader at UPS... tons of boxes are tossed. Nothing gets pitched like a baseball, but small boxes might get tossed behind a bunch of bigger boxes. We are constantly trying not to overload trucks because of the high volume of extremely boxes we deal with (my boss had to go to the scales at 1:00 AM the other night to fix an overweight truck AHAHAHHA)...

Anyways, if your box is big and somewhat heavy it will be stacked at the bottom of a "wall" of boxes. Just pack your sh*t well and it'll be all good. Put stickers that say "Fragile GLASS" on it or something if you want it treated well (even if it's not glass). Or build some burly wood case to house your stuff and ship it in...

So basically, if you improperly package your stuff and it ends up being stacked under a couple thousand pounds of stuff then yeah i can probably get messed up real good.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Certified Drunk said:

Sorry!
The packing was perfect, UPS just sucks dingleberries. They are going to pay I recieved my claim forms today. And where do you get 4 inches on each side? That's retarded! No bike manufacturer in the world uses that much packing in a bike box.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Langer said:
Great advice!

Also, the faster the service the less handling it will receive. Overnight or 2day is always better than ground.

Actually, that's bad advice. Overnight is the worst. With regular ground, they aren't in any hurry.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
buildyourown said:
Actually, that's bad advice. Overnight is the worst. With regular ground, they aren't in any hurry.
:rolleyes:
Maybe if your ground destination is in the same state. If you are shipping across country it will be handled at more hubs than a overnight package. I have sent numerous high valued paintings and prints (many with glass) overnight and 99% made it there in perfect condition. Ground's percentage was not even close to that. Also, theres less heavier boxes being shipped overnight than ground which will reduce your chances of getting smashed.

I hope you are packing your fragile packages with 4 inches of padding so it will take a good ground (fedex or UPS) beating! :monkey:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
What ever executive at UPS that came up with the 2" per side extra is a genius. So, if you dont pack it that way, they dont cover the insurance, and if you do follow the guidelines and pack it like that, then you jsut sent your package in to the oversize+10 classification.... Either way, they win you loose....

On the positive side, Ive always had good luck with both carriers, and take care to document my larger dollar value items.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I feel for you man it sucks when some one else breaks your stuff the only problem is you didn't take very good care of it. How much does it really cost to go down to your local lumber yard buy some 2x4's some plywood and make a box!!!! There is no way way in he double hockeys my DH comp is going across the country in Cardboard. On Ups's side all bikes arrive at the shop in a cardboard boxes and rarely are messed up

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
On Ups's side all bikes arrive at the shop in a cardboard boxes and rarely are messed up[/QUOTE]

If you work in a shop you must have a very gentle delivery man. The shop managers I know complain that at least 10% of the bikes delivered by UPS are damaged in one form or another.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I ordered a road bike online a few years ago and some semi came by and I swear the only thing in it's trailer was my bike... perfect shape... Dunno the carrier name but ive seen the same carrier deliver bikes to a LBS around here (the LBS is a Kona dealer).

thegoodword

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Walla Walla, WA>Boise, ID
My bikes or large boxes shipped with reasonably good packaging via UPS have arrived with a trashed box and sometimes with scratched contents. Smaller UPS boxes have been fine. I'm not sure I have ever seen a large box received from UPS that did not have some kind of ding in it. I have never had a problem with Fed Ex packages.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use to work unloading and loading trucks at UPS. They pay OK $10-12 an hour to start. Most boxes were taken care of but there were many that got thrown and/or kicked. One guy use to try and punch boxes to see if he could get his had into it. Some guys would even rip boxes apart to be funny. Pack you stuff well with a lot of tape and no duct tape.

jexter

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Dream land no doubt !
I used to work for " The Brown " as well. Since then and because of that experience I now know how to properly package ! I worked pre load and pre sort, we had to move 1200 packeges per hour out of the trailers...some of us were faster than others....and as incentive if you busted your ass, they'd move you up the chain faster ( out of the trailer and up to pre sort, easier job ) So with that being said some peeps did what they had to.....I watched and learned from guys grabbing a few boxes on the bottom of those walls and then just let it fly !!! and I was guilty of that myself....its true, you will be fired if you get caught too many times doing that...but you just waited for the drill sgnt to pass.... And don't kid yourself, all the couriers do it...they're all on strict timelines. SO DEF HEED PACKING INTRUCTIONS !!!!!! which still doesn't guarantee 0 damage.