Quantcast

what cars do mountain bikers drive?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
W4S said:
Also, for the enthusiast drivers, I got my A4 chipped during lunch break. All I can say is that the car feels completely different and totally too fast for normal driving. :help:
w/ APR you can access it and return it to "stock" mode thru the cruise control stalk. My A4 is running Stage II APR (chip + exhaust) w/ a Neuspeed short shift (5spd). When I first got the car it was "holy crap" fast, then I got used to it and I want more :D Coming off the 20AE GTI the Avant has noticiably more power & torque (but also weight & wheelbase and is AWD vs FWD). AWD and coil overs definately help in the cornering dept. Compared to the WRX I had, the Avant feels like it has both a more usable low end, pulls right to redline thru all gears, and is more comfortable at highway cruise speed. The WRX I used to drive w/ reckless abandon but the Avant is more calculated. Could also be a factor of me being 5yrs older now and more level headed LOL

EricMcFlow said:
Novice or not, a true 5sp A4 will always be better at the track then a Tiptronic. DSG or SMG are a lot better. I instruct for the Audi Club NA and have been in lots of both. I had an APR Stage III A4, it was fun and fast as all heck.
I'm finding that except at straight line highway cruising (80mph+) that the 5spd is a bonus over the 6spd I had in the 20AE. 2nd & 3rd gears are a lot longer so you aren't going 2nd/3rd/2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th/3th/4th thru corners or in general suburban driving. I haven't (and prolly won't) tracked this car but I can see exactly why the 5spd is the winner here. The 5spd gear ratios of the A4 also seem better than those on the WRX were. The WRX felt like it had a closer 1-4 and then 5th. On the A4 I feel like 1-2 are close and then 3/4/5 are all usable. if that all makes any sense...

W4S said:
yeah, I got a test ride in a 'knowledgable' guy's A3 today while waiting for my car to be done. 290hp, 312 pf/ torque and obscenely fast. :love:
Ya, I test drove a DSG A3. Was a nice little ride and I dug 4 doors & AWD hatch but would have liked to see it in a 2.0T version for tuners :)

manhattanprjkt83 said:
everyone wishes they had an s4/s6/s8/avant something they rock, im actually looking at a esspho today, ill let you know how it goes...
I was originally looking for a used S4 but was heavily steered away from them by just about every Audi enthusiast and tech I talked to. General consensus was unless you were going to be 1. first owner 2. buying a CPO'd car or 3. leasing, not to touch an S4, especially anything B5 gen or w/ anything over 36k on the odometer. The maintenance costs and required maintenance on an S4 are pretty damned pricey! Everyone steered me toward the 1.8T cars as they can be easily/cheaply tuned and modded with a plethora of goodies, have a generally reliable history, and you can make then go plenty fast enough to crap your draws and impress your friends.

-ska todd

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ska todd said:
I was originally looking for a used S4 but was heavily steered away from them by just about every Audi enthusiast and tech I talked to. General consensus was unless you were going to be 1. first owner 2. buying a CPO'd car or 3. leasing, not to touch an S4, especially anything B5 gen or w/ anything over 36k on the odometer. The maintenance costs and required maintenance on an S4 are pretty damned pricey! Everyone steered me toward the 1.8T cars as they can be easily/cheaply tuned and modded with a plethora of goodies, have a generally reliable history, and you can make then go plenty fast enough to crap your draws and impress your friends.

-ska todd
Ya, people have said the same to me but i know a few b5 s4 owners and they are running strong, i would only look at cpo cars esp a car like that, and that is what im looking at today. I know they are pricey but such a sick car...

b5 negaro with alacantra blue seats is one of my favorite cars of all time...

we will see what happens, all the guys on vortex seem to think its a good idea :rolleyes:...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Ya, people have said the same to me but i know a few b5 s4 owners and they are running strong, i would only look at cpo cars esp a car like that, and that is what im looking at today. I know they are pricey but such a sick car...

we will see what happens, all the guys on vortex seem to think its a good idea :rolleyes:...
Drive a nicely modded 1.8T or 2.0T first and then make your decision. I would have loved (and still would :love: ) an S4 Avant (in Nogaro w/ blue alcantara of course, duh) but when I test drove both I couldn't justify (err afford) the extra 10k for the S4.

-ska todd

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ska todd said:
Drive a nicely modded 1.8T or 2.0T first and then make your decision. I would have loved (and still would :love: ) an S4 Avant (in Nogaro w/ blue alcantara of course, duh) but when I test drove both I couldn't justify (err afford) the extra 10k for the S4.

-ska todd
He'll pay an extra $10K just for the color. :rolleyes: :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stevew said:
jimmydean, your truck was complaining it is afraid of heights. lower it please.....

hahaha...thought you might like the picture.
Dick... :p

Someone buy my Ruckus!!! As soon as my Ruckus sells (hint, hint) I can get my setup!

I have a full bag setup waiting for me as well as a drop spindle disc front conversion. I won't lay frame, but I will be 6" front, 8" rear lower with the notched frame.

That is my color too, man that looks good. :drool:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
COmtbiker12 said:
What all have you done to your civic? I've got parts for a mini-me swap in my garage for mine. Unfortunately I have such small finances that I can't finish it or expand to other things. :(
I hear you with the finances, luckily I bought most of the stuff before my two children came along.

Here is a list of changes:

1996 B18C1
AEM ITR cold air intake
Skunk2 intake manifold
Skunk2 cams
Skunk2 cam gears
ITR intake valves
Portflow inner springs and TI retainers
P73 ecu
APEXi V-AFC
Greddy one-piece header
Random cat with 2.5" stainless inlet/outlet
APEXi Dunk exhaust
2000 S4c transmission with CTR LSD
Jun Ultralight Flywheel
Clutchmasters Stage 3 kelvar clutch
Tokico Illumina shocks
Neuspeed SPort Integra springs
2000 Civic SI brakes, control arms, and sway bars (FR & RR)
Goodridge stainless lines
Hawk HPS brake pads
1997 GSR wheels
Bridgstone RE71's 195/50ZR15

13.74@ 98mph

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Salami said:
I hear you with the finances, luckily I bought most of the stuff before my two children came along.

Here is a list of changes:
<snip>
13.74@ 98mph
:confused:

All that work for 13.74? Wow, maybe it's just me but hat seems like a lot of effort, time, and money for high 13's. If my truck was an auto, I would bet it could run close to that and I haven't done anything close to that much work.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
manhattanprjkt83 said:

Did you pick it up? pics?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Tame Ape said:
Wow.... Is that paint or rust?
Actually, talking to the owner, he matched the roof color/rust texture to the rest of the body. Alot of mixing paint/metal shavings.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I reckon I wouldn't mind having one of these:

Triumph TR3. circa 1958-62ish.

That and an Element. I could really use an Element. Rumor has it that Honda may release a fuel efficient deisel version in '08 or so. That would be the bee's knees.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
stevew said:
Actually, talking to the owner, he matched the roof color/rust texture to the rest of the body. Alot of mixing paint/metal shavings.
God I'm tired of people building "Rat rods" that way. If your going to put in the effort, at least have something to show for it. If you want a rusty looking rat rod, just sand all the rust and let it sit in the rain, of dump a can of metal patina on it, don't color match rust colored metal flake.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
jimmydean said:

All that work for 13.74? Wow, maybe it's just me but hat seems like a lot of effort, time, and money for high 13's. If my truck was an auto, I would bet it could run close to that and I haven't done anything close to that much work.

It is not really a ton of money though I do have a lot of time into the car. The car was purchased for really cheap since it had been in a accident and the tranny was on it's last legs. I have done 95% of the work myself. As far as the ET keep in mind that the original engine made something like 102 hp and the stock car would probably run about a 17.75-18.00 ET. A 13.75 ET is a considerable improvement.

Ohh, it gets about 29-30 MPG on the highway. Does your truck do that? :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
maxyedor said:
God I'm tired of people building "Rat rods" that way. If your going to put in the effort, at least have something to show for it. If you want a rusty looking rat rod, just sand all the rust and let it sit in the rain, of dump a can of metal patina on it, don't color match rust colored metal flake.
Uhhmmm.....the only part that was painted was the roof after the chop.

Everything else is au natural.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I drive an Element. Love the thing...I can get all my bikes and then some in it, or I can sleep in it with all the bikes/gear in a trailer. Sleeps 2 very comfortably.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Salami said:
It is not really a ton of money though I do have a lot of time into the car. The car was purchased for really cheap since it had been in a accident and the tranny was on it's last legs. I have done 95% of the work myself. As far as the ET keep in mind that the original engine made something like 102 hp and the stock car would probably run about a 17.75-18.00 ET. A 13.75 ET is a considerable improvement.

i get 7 mpg!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
stevew said:
Uhhmmm.....the only part that was painted was the roof after the chop.

Everything else is au natural.
I still think the rat rod thing is way to overdone, you can't throw a rock at a car show without hiting a car that somebody spent weeks, months, and sometimes year, to make look beat-up. Some rods look good unfinished (tho usualy look better once finished), but most rat rods just look beat.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Salami said:
<snip>
The only time I drive my truck is to haul stuff. I drive it an average of 100 miles a month, but it does get 14 mpg as it is. The LS1 will make about 400hp and get more like 18 mpg. Can you fit 1,600 lbs of hay in the back of your Honda? :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
maxyedor said:
I still think the rat rod thing is way to overdone, you can't throw a rock at a car show without hiting a car that somebody spent weeks, months, and sometimes year, to make look beat-up. Some rods look good unfinished (tho usualy look better once finished), but most rat rods just look beat.
If you throw a rock at my truck, be prepared for an ass kicking. :D

I tried to find a picture of the truck in Classic Trucks a month or two ago. The guy bought it from a farmer, washed it and shot a clear coat over the existing 8 or so layers of paint to preserve the original look. The interior, chassis, and engine are full custom, but the classic farm truck look is great. I think it was an early 1950's Chevy.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Salami said:

man, there is a lot of work on for 13s!!!!
am surprised you get that mpg after messing with an afc...
you got the afc for the cams???

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i think that the idea behind a rat rod is not to make a fashon statement, but to have a fun, fast and affordable old skool ride... sure, some people take it to wierd extremes, but thats not the real idea behind "rat rods".

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
nikwho said:
i think that the idea behind a rat rod is not to make a fashon statement, but to have a fun, fast and affordable old skool ride... sure, some people take it to wierd extremes, but thats not the real idea behind "rat rods".
True, but my idea of fun involves driving the thing, not spending time and money trying to make a Pabst can into an aircleaner, that's no fun at all, just make you look like a moron.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
jimmydean said:
Can you fit 1,600 lbs of hay in the back of your Honda? :D
Yeap. But it wouldn't be too kind to the interior, unibody or suspension. It wouldn't bother the brake or drivetrain one bit as it wouldn't be able to move with the bottom of the car touching the ground. :rofl:

jimmydean said:
The interior, chassis, and engine are full custom, but the classic farm truck look is great. I think it was an early 1950's Chevy.
From the sounds of it you got at least as much money (if not more) into your truck than I have in my car.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
COmtbiker12 said:
I wonder if it would be possible to put a roof rack on those little Smart cars. :p
i think you mean"I wonder if my bike would put too much stress on the super intensely fast engine.." i don't think a bike rack of any kind would fit any mtb, maybe a bmx if you are lucky..definately a "unique gas saver"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jimmydean said:

have you ever made a pass at the strip? sure, it's not an LS1 but here's what a stock Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 liter v8 (rated at "320 hp" fwiw) will do: 15.2@90

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-CK1500-Truck-Timeslip-3128.html

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
believe it or not i ve been passed by a smart car on the autobahn and it was moving !!!.. i was in my old 91 rust bucket f150 and a smart car like the one pictured went past me doing at least 100mph...

i ve also had them try to run with me when i was in the xc70... again, hittin over 100mph... they did ok till i put my foot down..

very practical cars for the city but i wouldn t want to have an accident in one... they also make more of a sports coupe that is pretty nice... a little longer and a bit lower roof line...