Quantcast

What DH bikes have Horst link?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Really? Surprised I didn't know that about the recoil.

Do Horst links have *any* bad points? Pedal great, brake great, super-active design. Where's the catch?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by mtnbkr4235
And of course there's the FSR/Bighit/Demo9. Nobody would ever suspect Specialized to have Horst Link. :p
I didn't think the bighit was horst... *goes to check photos*

edit: right you are. So why aren't bighits as good at DH as M1s?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by - seb

Well, they don't cost as much... :p

They're also 24" rear-wheel mandatory. The Recoils are pretty nice bikes, tho, IMHO.

A horst link is a big category, and some horst link designs will be different than others... all it needs as a horst link is a pivot below and in front of the rear axle, I think. Heck, a Giant NRS is in this category.

Also IMHO, the 4-bar bikes tend to be good all-around bikes but have no huge characteristics to note...just "neutral" feeling to me.

MD

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I didn't think the bighit was horst... *goes to check photos*

they are, but they dont say "Intense" real big on the side and they dont cost as much, so snobs think they're too good for them. Oh, and there's the stigma go being made in Taiwan or whatever too. But IMO, if you can ride a 24" wheel in the back, its every bit as good.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by BurlySurly
they are, but they dont say "Intense" real big on the side and they dont cost as much, so snobs think they're too good for them. Oh, and there's the stigma go being made in Taiwan or whatever too. But IMO, if you can ride a 24" wheel in the back, its every bit as good.
And of course BETD in the UK make a 26" rear end for them.

Hmmmm...

I'm trying to sort my mate out with a second hand DH bike you see, want to get him something really good - he's set on a 2003 M1 at the moment but there's not much around so I'm searching for other things that'll ride just as well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by SebringMGB
demo 9 isnt horst...
not that I care because it's out of price range and an ugly piece of crap, but you sure about that? ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
And of course BETD in the UK make a 26" rear end for them.

Hmmmm...

I'm trying to sort my mate out with a second hand DH bike you see, want to get him something really good - he's set on a 2003 M1 at the moment but there's not much around so I'm searching for other things that'll ride just as well.
Well then check into Norco as well. They seem to go cheap used, and they take 26's if thats a sticking point. Also, Iron horse.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
not that I care because it's out of price range and an ugly piece of crap, but you sure about that? ;)
It is a Horst according to specialized's website.

MD

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
You got mail........well PM anyway

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Originally posted by xy9ine
yes it is; effectively the same 4-bar as the big hit (ie, wheel path/geometry is the same), just with different shock positioning.
well, its fishy...... its a horst in the way the seatstays move, however, the shock actuation is single pivot. so id say you wont gain horst advantages as far as the "feel" of the shock, but the geometry is horst. but it could just as easily be a regular old 4 bar, if you made the rear link extend into the frame and push the shock down. so as far as it being considered a horst link, in my eyes, no.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
in my eyes, no.
Well, that makes one.

The rest of the world obviously recognizes that the wheel moves independant of the chainstay and that that's the defining characteristic of a 4-bar horst, but whatever.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Demo 9 is defenately a Horst. The whole point with Horst are the axlepath. You can make linear or progressive link to activate the shock regardless of how the rear pivot are located.

Specialized owns the Horst patent, and will ofcorce use it on their own bikes.

The Horst patent is pretty spesific on where the rear pivots are located. Ellsworth and Giants designs dont interupt with the patent.

From what I know, the patent is a US only thing, so you will find alot of "Horst" bikes in Germany.

E

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Roasted
Wow I didn't believe you at first...but it sure looks like it :)
Aren't some of the new K2s Horst as well?

MD

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs

Have your mate chcek this out. http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/buysell/?op=view&image=14829

03 M1 with 888 D321, Hayes, etc...$2700usd complete

Seller is very trustworthy, I've dealt with him before.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Espen
The Horst patent is pretty spesific on where the rear pivots are located. ...Giants designs dont interupt with the patent.
Just built a Giant NRS up today. Big black "Specialized" patent sticker in the non-drive chainstay. They've always had those stickers as far back as I can remember too.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
If you say that, I was wrong on that.
Elsworths dont interupt, at least

Originally posted by Bulldog
Just built a Giant NRS up today. Big black "Specialized" patent sticker in the non-drive chainstay. They've always had those stickers as far back as I can remember too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you say that, I was wrong on that.
Elsworths dont interupt, at least
ellsworths are also horst link bikes, and they behave like horst link bikes, tony ellsworth pulled a BS-campaign over the heads of the patent guys. ICT doesn't hold up to scietific scrutiny, it is simply a horst link.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
It looks like the new NRS frames uses Horstlink. I thought the old ones did not.

The NRS havent looked like this forever???

JM, is it Specialized stickers on a Truth??

e

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Bulldog,

are ya going to be at the white knuckle races this coming weekend? if not you should look into it, im going as well as a whole bunch of guys from around here.

By the way, hella nice usage of the quotage in the sig :thumb:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
It looks like the new NRS frames uses Horstlink. I thought the old ones did not.

The NRS havent looked like this forever???

JM, is it Specialized stickers on a Truth??

e
the NRSs havnt always looked like that, they used to have fugly stays, but the pivots were still in almost the same places, and yes Ellsworthlesses have Spec. patent stickers on the chainstay.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the new, and the old, NRS bikes were horst links, only that the older ones were more "exagerated". Both horsts though, no doubt about it.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Bulldog,

are ya going to be at the white knuckle races this coming weekend? if not you should look into it, im going as well as a whole bunch of guys from around here.

By the way, hella nice usage of the quotage in the sig :thumb:
The more I see that damn bike of yours....

The more I like it! :) How much do you weigh? I'd love to ride it sometime but I usually keep my fat arse off others bikes cuz I'm too heavy.

And nah, I gotta work again next weekend too. All this rain sucks. I haven't been on my mtb in almost a month! Trails always wet when I want to ride, or it's still raining. :rolleyes: You coming back up for the Devil's Head WORS DH/DS racing June 26/27? That may be my best chance to meet you guys yet.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Bulldog
The more I see that damn bike of yours....

The more I like it! :) How much do you weigh? I'd love to ride it sometime but I usually keep my fat arse off others bikes cuz I'm too heavy.

And nah, I gotta work again next weekend too. All this rain sucks. I haven't been on my mtb in almost a month! Trails always wet when I want to ride, or it's still raining. :rolleyes: You coming back up for the Devil's Head WORS DH/DS racing June 26/27? That may be my best chance to meet you guys yet.
I weigh right around 200 and i dont know if im coming up to devils head, i have another trip later that week, but im going to try

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ok... i admit defeat.

i thought that the obvious difference in the link between this and thiswas the difference, not axel path.:monkey:
Isn't the axle path pretty much the result of the difference between those suspension designs? Not saying it matters in practice; a lot of turner-style walking beam bikes feel 100% peachy to me, but there is going to be a difference in the axle paths, no?

MD

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They differ and are optimized for certain gear combos (and in recent times, shocks - ie SPV). They varying by pivot location - some pedal or brake better than others - even within brands from year to year. For example the older enduros have suspension geometry more conducive to better pedaling characteristics. Just cause its a horst link doesn't mean it performs the same and frame geometry makes a big difference too.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Really? Surprised I didn't know that about the recoil.

Do Horst links have *any* bad points? Pedal great, brake great, super-active design. Where's the catch?
Actually, most of them pedal pretty crappily IMO. Intenses pedal like a mud bog, so do Bighits, Norcos etc... Iron Horses are marginally better but not a lot. The braking isn't totally neutral either, but whether that's a bad thing is hard to say (because some amount of squat can be helpful with attitude control, particularly on steep sections). They're generally not particularly stiff though, a lot of singlepivots (with or without shock-actuating linkages, eg Turners) are a fair bit stiffer, eg Foes, 222s etc. That said, I don't notice any flex in my Iron Horse, but I'm not very sensitive to it anyway.

FSR bikes generally handle pretty neutrally IMO, they don't have any weird characteristics that make them strange/difficult to ride. That said, they usually don't do any particular thing, particularly well - they don't pedal *that* well, they generally aren't *that* good under brakes, not *that* stiff, etc... but they're cheap to make/design and a pretty good compromise between all the major concerns (the suspension members are generally easy to keep out of the way of the rest of the bike too).