Quantcast

What did you eat, um, lately...?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Didn't want to revive the old thread so thought I would start a new one...this weekend I make an absolutely killer flank steak. Marinated overnight in light soy sauce, chinese rice wine, honey, ginger, garlic, scallions and cilantro. Slapped that baby on hot grill for about 5 minutes per side, let it rest for 10 more minutes, and it was good to go. Sliced thin on an angle, super tender and juicy. While it was cooking I brought the marinade to a boil, skimmed the scum and reduced it down to a great dipping sauce/glaze. Served over brown rice and an "Asian mix" of greens. Yum Yum. So what have you made that's good lately?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Baked a butternut squash, then scooped out insides and stuffed it with italian sausage, egg, onion, garlic, parsely, and some cubed slices of bread. Baked that all together for another 20 minutes.

Tasty with some parmasen cheese on top and a side salad with feta and pecans.

The Ito

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
BATTLE OF THE THREADS!
bang a gong it is on!
who's cuisine reigns supreme....er...thread reigns supreme!?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Wife went out for dinner with friends last night, but before she left she made me some Italian sausage/tortellini soup. :drool:

Fresh strawberry/kiwi salad, some bread with balsamic & OO to dip, and fresh grated Grana Padano. Oh, and a pretty decent cheap Pinot Noir to wash it down.

:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
salad for lunch:

leftover sirloin strip
baby spinach
thinly sliced chile peppers
sliced red peppers
sliced cukes
some daubs of goat cheese

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Lunch: Ramen, a rice krispi treat, and a soft pretzel.

Dinner: Turkey dogs, baked beans, and a salad.

Yum yum.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yesterday for lunch: Jumbo BBQ with slaw & a bottle glass of Altos de Nunez Mencia. If you want a nice Old World, rustic red check it out. It is awesome.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Rack of lamb with garlic/honey/rosemary last night for valentine's day, over mashed taters and a red wine pan sauce, mixed greens on the side. Drank an Iron Horse Russian Cuvee sparkler ("the wine that won the cold war") while putting it together, then Stag's Leap Cab with dinner. MMMMMMMMM.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
last weekend:
this....

with this....(squid ink pasta)

...& it looked like this when we were done cooking...

We had Rosa Regale, 2004 Sebastiani Pinot Noir, Bonny Doon Framboise with some bubbly for desert with this....

^Raspberry Chocolate Cake with Rasperry Grenache (with fresh homemade whipped cream) & Framboise with sparkling wine.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Monday night I whipped this up.

Curry Lamb Stew & Cous Cous. We had a 2004 Trapiche Pinot Noir & a 2004 Tres Picos Garnacha to wash it all down.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i made the coriander chicken again last night. the recipe calls for curry leaves. wtf are they? i omitted them. it was also hotter; i used more black and cayenne pepper this time.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
i made the coriander chicken again last night. the recipe calls for curry leaves. wtf are they? i omitted them. it was also hotter; i used more black and cayenne pepper this time.
I read a curry recipe that called for that. I thought maybe they meant bay leaves. :confused:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Vday here was a broiled slab of striper (striped bass), some kick ass green beans and a spinach salad.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
where'd you get the striper? was it frozen?

i :love: striped bass. that is one tasty fish.
You can usually find curry leaves in indian food specialty stores, not sure what's there now but as I recall there used to be a bunch out in Watertown (or are those more middle eastern?).

Funny thing about stripers - I used to love 'em back east and have started seeing it out here more and more. I read an article in the SF Chronicle saying stripers were introduced as a non-native species and are starting to take hold.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
dan-o said:
Vday here was a broiled slab of striper (striped bass), some kick ass green beans and a spinach salad.
La's parents have a freezer full. we will have to try some.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
i wonder if the freshwater kind taste different than the ocean-going kind.
After a quick "google" (just for you OG :) ) I got this...

"Striped bass are anadromous, which means they live their adult life in the ocean but travel up freshwater rivers to spawn."

So they are like salmon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, but they can't get to the ocean very easily in TN, right? the stripers in the lakes down south are strictly freshwater. up here in new england, people catch them in estuaries. not sure how far they swim up river, but i don't think its nearly as far as salmon.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Something special done with the haricots?
I just like to saute them over high heat in a touch of oil with red pepper, S/P and whatever other spices catch my eye. The result is always crisp but with a great 'fresh' taste.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
where'd you get the striper? was it frozen?

i :love: striped bass. that is one tasty fish.
I found it at whole foods (swampscott), unfrozen. It must have been shipped from down South though as they leave the waters here in late Sept (once water temps hit the 50's). Not too cheap @ $16/lb but reasonable when I consider how much marine fuel I burn chasing that tasty fish in the summer months.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dan-o said:
I just like to saute them over high heat in a touch of oil with red pepper, S/P and whatever other spices catch my eye. The result is always crisp but with a great 'fresh' taste.
if the filet is thick, a nice method is to cook skin-side down in a pan for a few minutes, then put it in the oven for a few more.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
if the filet is thick, a nice method is to cook skin-side down in a pan for a few minutes, then put it in the oven for a few more.
The post you quoted was for my green beans:nuts:
The striper was broiled skin down, S/P, OO & garlic until lightly browned.
It was the first time not cooking striper on the ol' 22" weber since it's usually just a summer delight but damn was it good:drool:

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
this is my last post tonight and it is 1:45 a.m. and i am going to bed but i have the munchies and i am going to eat the biggest milkiest bowl of cookie-crisp ever...:blah:

and you are now wondering why you took the time to read this.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ito said:
That looks good, got a recipe for that?

The Ito
I kind of winged it, but here is a good rundown.
Sauté some onion, garlic and diced ginger in EVOO when tender add lamb or beef then brown. Then add 1 can of curry paste from indian market (1 can was too much for people with normal palates or people with sensitive guts & it also proved to be too much for me, it gave me a stomach ache from hell, but I blame the smoked Hab powder). stir until well incorporated. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, 1 TBSP. of tomato paste & water to cover everything, then simmer for about an hour.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i had tuna tar tar with onions and avacado the other night. it was surprisingly good for not being... ummm... cooked

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
On Sunday my girl and I went to a new east coast style deli that recently opened in SF. I am a lapsed jew from Connecticut and about the only thing missing from the food scene here has been a good deli. People have tried before but missed the mark, so I was a little skeptical. But hallelujah someone finally got it right!! It's called the California Street Deli and Joyce Goldstein ("Cooking from Square One" and other good stuff) helped with the menu. We started with some proper chopped liver before heading for the sandwiches. I got a reuben and my girl got a pastrami/corned beef combo with cole slaw on pumpernickel. The corned beef and pastrami were seriously some of the best I have ever tasted on either coast (including the two or three big sammies I had in Manhattan earlier this year): super tender and full of flavor. When we finally rolled out of there all I could say was "Oy, am I full!!! :love: