What do you tension your spokes to?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Jm_
"ping"
ping3 sharp above middle ping

I'm thinking that "optimum" tension is going to be based on ALOT of factors, ie triangulation of spokes, rim material, spoke material, lacing, etc. Just get the wheel "ping" tight and use the metre to check for eveness moreso than outright tension.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i read in one of those wheel books like 1000 newtons. thats more like 200 lbs .....at least htas what it said for the ideal drive side spoke tension of a rear wheel was....

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
have u ever tried to "tension" a wheel by using the tension gauge...it doesn't work at all. I'v built A LOT of wheels and i just go off feel and so far i havn't had a single wheel loosen up or blow up or anything!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by HippieKai
have u ever tried to "tension" a wheel by using the tension gauge...it doesn't work at all. I'v built A LOT of wheels and i just go off feel and so far i havn't had a single wheel loosen up or blow up or anything!
Yeah, ditto on the "feel". High tension is what you need, not so high that you are rounding out spokes or some crap like that, but it is just a "feel" that you get after a while.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by Jm_
Yeah, ditto on the "feel". High tension is what you need, not so high that you are rounding out spokes or some crap like that, but it is just a "feel" that you get after a while.
werd:monkey:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Is there really a need to have the spokes tight enough that you'll round out the nipples with one half turn more? Maybe I'm just missing the sarcasm here but I thought that it is possible to make the spokes too tight. I usually tension the spokes until they ping about the same as the spokes on other wheels. Definately not so tight that I'm worried about anythign stripping or rounding. Since the spokes are actually pushing the rim out not pulling the rim in you only need the spokes tight enough that they won't buckle under small compressive deflections, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the entire concept of a spoked wheel which isn't as simple as it may appear.