Quantcast

What does the avid lever breakaway feature do for the consumer?

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Some of the new bikes we have been getting have avid hydros and we noticed that you can snap the lever outward from the "normal" position. All of the pictures on the avid site show the lever in the snapped outward position too, but they make no mention of it. I searched rm a bit... if the answer is already here I will gladly delete this :thumb:

Attachments

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
That's the way the lever normally is, there's no "breakaway" feature on the lever. Same with the new hayes el caminos, the lever is just normally at that angle. It's supposed to fit the geometry of your hand better, they actually feel pretty good.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
zane said:
That's the way the lever normally is, there's no "breakaway" feature on the lever. Same with the new hayes el caminos, the lever is just normally at that angle. It's supposed to fit the geometry of your hand better, they actually feel pretty good.
I'm tellin ya your wrong dude.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
zane said:

Yeah, maybee if your Inspector Gadget...

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What he's talking about is the lever will sort of snap from its nomal position to one which is more forward or further from the bar. One of the guys at the shop was demonstrating this characteristic but no one knew if it had a purpose.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
When I was playing with a set of juicy 7's I didn't notice any lever movement away from the bar, and they came new out of the box and onto the bike while I watched. Maybe I didn't pull out on them enough........ Okay, I was just looking on the avid website and they say nothing about the levers being able to move away from the bar, except for the adjustment screws that change the lever position. Am I missing something here? Someone show me something that contradicts what I say and I'll change my opinion.

And the lever angles do feel pretty good, I felt them when they were mounted on the bike shortly thereafter.

GO HERE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know the cable levers are supposed to have a bend zone, theoretically your levers will bend or brake before the body is damaged. I've never found replacement lever blades though and the cost to replace a set of levers is less than $35. Seems like one of those features that seemed good on paper but wasn't really an advantage.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Formula b4 dh brakes do that (btw really nice), and I think it is actually good. because the lever is able to pop away from the master cylinder. it does not have to be strongly designed enough to handle some stresses when hitting the ground, hence you have a stronger, lighter design. Every time the lever pops out, you know that the amount of force used to do that was dissipated instead of transferring directly to the lever, master cyclinder, perch etc. Those brakes are underrated for sure, if they were easier to get I would use them.

Yes, the Juicy's will allow the lever to extend out further if you yank on them or crash on the bike, which is how I discovered this. It's not the "bend zone" issue, it's that the lever will pop to an outer position that's not useable for lever travel (it pops back to its regular position you had set before starting to "work" as a lever again).

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
the lever "pops" forward just a tad. I actually never noticed this on mine until I read this thread. The movement seems to small to stop the lever from breaking in a crash.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Some motocross levers pivot all the way forward to prevent breakage. I have never seen these avid levers tough.