Quantcast

What Fork To Get?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Perfect for the discerning rider who really wants a dual crown, but also needs to be able to do X-ups.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So we can have 50% better torsional rigidity than a single crown inverted...but only in one direction...and still not as good as a right-side-up fork. That company needs to be punched in the face a few times till they figure out that inverted is stupid.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
So we can have 50% better torsional rigidity than a single crown inverted...but only in one direction...and still not as good as a right-side-up fork. That company needs to be punched in the face a few times till they figure out that inverted is stupid.
while I do agree re: inverted forks in general, from my armchair engineer perspective it would seem that a brace on the riders left side should provide less noodling of the fork against braking forces. Would it be as rigid as, wait for it, a standard brake arch and non-inverted design? I don’t know. Then again I possess the iq equivalent of Forrest Gump when it comes to such things.

I’d be interested to see some actual data on rigidity on this fork vs various traditional forks. My current new shiny traditional fork fails my very scientific “hold the front wheel and wiggle the bars” test that I perform on each of my forks, even with the supposedly upgraded bolt on axle.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It saves a whooping 120 g over the Infinity full dual crown option. I would go for the Infinity but I know that a lot of dentists are out of options of weird looking front ends for their Evils, Yetis and Pivots after Trust went on a hiatus. So congratulations Intend for filling this cavit... ehem, niche.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
inverted is probably what a one man shop can manufacture. Props to him for doing it and being able to sell them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’d be interested to see some actual data on rigidity on this fork vs various traditional forks. My current new shiny traditional fork fails my very scientific “hold the front wheel and wiggle the bars” test that I perform on each of my forks, even with the supposedly upgraded bolt on axle.
Not me, been down that road too many times. As said elsewhere, it's a short-cut for those that can't get casted lowers, but the huge performance disadvantage is never worth it. Like going with a solid rear axle for your sports car.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not me, been down that road too many times. As said elsewhere, it's a short-cut for those that can't get casted lowers, but the huge performance disadvantage is never worth it. Like going with a solid rear axle for your sports car.
just curious, how much do think manufacturing for casted lowers costs?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
just curious, how much do think manufacturing for casted lowers costs?
One (inverted) can be done by a simple CNC machine, likely in any major city. Where are you going to get casted lowers?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
answer my question. how much do you think it costs.
For one, or for a production run and if the latter, how many? For you to do it yourself, buying all the equipment, or to have someone with the machinery like Suntour do it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For one, or for a production run and if the latter, how many? For you to do it yourself, buying all the equipment, or to have someone with the machinery like Suntour do it?
cost to manufacture (inclusive of tooling, setup, preproduction revisions, etc), not cost to start a foundry :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So far it looks like you'd need a cold die-casting machine, besides stock and any supporting equipment:

And you need a mold: https://www.sksdiecasting.com/die-casting/molds

Looks like this machine might be just big enough?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So far it looks like you'd need a cold die-casting machine, besides stock and any supporting equipment:

And you need a mold: https://www.sksdiecasting.com/die-casting/molds
still waiting for you to answer *how much you think it costs*

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
still waiting for you to answer *how much you think it costs*
Getting there, you gotta start seeing what kind of machinery is necessary, what sizes, how to get it to a location, etc. Logistics. So far, I'd budget at least 50K to get started up, maybe more. Looking like about 5K to ship that kind of machinery across the country, not to mention if you have to go overseas.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Getting there, you gotta start seeing what kind of machinery is necessary, what sizes, how to get it to a location, etc. Logistics. So far, I'd budget at least 50K to get started up, maybe more.
a shitload more. production tooling alone for a single casting is over 6 figures.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, that was the conclusion I was starting with, that it was expensive as shit.
yes. which is a big reason we don't see many smaller companies in the suspension game. cost of entry is high, you need a lot of up front capital.

i think EXT is taking a good approach by using lowers from another company, but there are some downsides to it as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yes. which is a big reason we don't see many smaller companies in the suspension game. cost of entry is high, you need a lot of up front capital.

i think EXT is taking a good approach by using lowers from another company, but there are some downsides to it as well.
I agree.

I just don't have sympathy for any company making inverted forks because casted lowers are expensive. Avalanche did it, along with a plethora of companies from back in the day. These all sucked. Some aspects of the forks didn't suck, like the dampers on some, but while I think you can make up for some air spring wonkiness with damping, a bad chassis is far more limiting IME. I got "normalized" to it for a while riding a few of these and for sure you can screw up a right-side up fork too, like how stratos managed to make flexy right side up dual crown forks, but these just had no redeeming properties due to the wheel "kind of" going where you wanted and "kind of" being able to ride the lines you pointed it at.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree.

I just don't have sympathy for any company making inverted forks because casted lowers are expensive. Avalanche did it, along with a plethora of companies from back in the day. These all sucked. Some aspects of the forks didn't suck, like the dampers on some, but while I think you can make up for some air spring wonkiness with damping, a bad chassis is far more limiting IME. I got "normalized" to it for a while riding a few of these and for sure you can screw up a right-side up fork too, like how stratos managed to make flexy right side up dual crown forks, but these just had no redeeming properties due to the wheel "kind of" going where you wanted and "kind of" being able to ride the lines you pointed it at.
you clearly have a chip on your shoulder about it. you'll be happy to know.....