Quantcast

What frame to buy?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm looking to replace my BMX with a 26" DJ/Street bike. I want to buy a frame only and build it up. I want sliding vert. or horizontal dropouts, disc mounts, 4" fork compatability, 1 1/8", and a MTB BB. I've been looking at both the Evil DOC and Specialized P. 3 frames. I'm leaning towards the DOC because of the sliding drop outs and the fact it's steel. Plus Evil has good customer service and I can pick one up for around 450 at Beyond Bikes. What do you guys think I should get? I'm open to suggestions. Also, I'm 5' 9", so I think I'll go for a small sized bike. Is that a good choice? Thanks for your help!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I really don't like BMX that much. It's really quite painful. My joints ache after I ride and I am constantly getting hurt. I've got a pimp bike, it's just I prefer MTB. I have narrowed my choice to either a DOC or a Black Market MOB. What do you guys think?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the DOC's are nice. Right now i'm saving money so i can order a simple bike co. 509 frame. They come in vertical dropouts but Oscar is going to build my frame with horizontals. I cant say i'd even think of getting anything else.

www.simplebikeco.com

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sinister dna. sliding drop outs that are super easy to use and stiff as hell. bb is very thick and can take tons af bb grinds. the bike was designed around an 80mm fork but can be ridden comfortably with 55-110 in my experience. perfect geometry and awesome paint/construction

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I've decided on the DOC, but I don't know if I should get the short or the long. I'm 5' 9", and I'm only getting taller.

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
if it was between the doc and the black market, i would go with the black market. it's basically designed by s&m and it's has a lot of bmx related geometry. coming from bmx to mtn bike, you would be a lot more comfortable on that bike. plus i think it makes a more badass dj bike.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Revell Kick ass, but if you've decided on the BLKMRKT I'd get a short for your size. The long is for tall people (6' +).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The other bikes are just too expensive. I work at a shop that can get Evil frames so it's pretty cheap. The others are pretty expensive. I just can't decide if I want a short or a long. What do you think? Are there any DOC owners who would recommend either size?

EDIT:
I looked at Revell bikes and I'm seriously considering one. :think:

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
i'd go for the 06 p3 frame personaly, but go with the doc it sounds like a good match for you and get the long, once you get used to it it'll be fine plus if your still growing it will save you some money so you dont have to back and get a bigger frame when tha small gets to small for you.(thats a heck of a long sentence though):oink:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Big City Lights are awesome. The rims are a pound lighter than regular Big Cities and they're strong too.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If you have a BMX background, get the short. If you've mostly rode MTB get the long. I personally would get the short no matter what.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I ordered the short a week ago. It should be here today or tomorrow! I'll post pics when it's all built up.