Quantcast

What gloves don't suck?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
The aul glove collection is starting to wear out so time to start shopping. Money's tight so I can;t just buy a load of different pairs off CRC and send back the ones that suck.
Anyone have a brand or model that's a go to? Main things I need are long fingers and a tight fitting palm with no gel or foam padding

So far/in the past I've used:

Royal Victory gloves - Ok grip and fit but shit quality

Endura humvee - run these for BMX and they're pretty good for that, but when riding DH the palm padding makes me squeeze too hard, also a bit too tight when riding with fingers over the levers

661 comps - Durable as fuck but the fit and grip wasn't great

TLD Ruckus - My favorite for DH - palm fits good and the fingers stretch well, these made the difference between doing a full run of pleney black vs stopping once or twice.
Stitching's starting to go a bit though. I'd buy them again but they made a new version that sucks balls according to a few reviews on CRC and FB. Can't seem to find the older versions in my size but i'm still on the hunt.

Giro DND interests me, anyone run them? Same with lizard skins, they do a line of gloves with longer than normal fingers in size M-L

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been on Giro DND's for several years now. I think I've four pairs in my current rotation.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
YMMV, but I like the most minimal glove possible, with no velcro wrist closure. The TLD Ace is my go to.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Wearing 661 comps, I think? Well ventilated, very minimal no extra padding where you don't need it, cuff w/no Velcro, perfect for me.

When I found a glove I like I'll buy a few pairs and run through em for a few seasons.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@jackalope and I have been running Royal Core gloves for a few years. Cheap, really cool in hot weather and just the right amount of palm material with no seams to create hot spots. They've held up well for us as well.

Have used Giro DNDs a bunch too. They hold up very well, are warmer and thicker/tougher than the Royals. I like them for winter but hot AF if you live in the South.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I gave up on summer gloves about 10 years ago. Maybe I should try some of the gloves you guys are talking about. I don't wear gloves when I dig either. Hands are cool cause when you use them a bunch they make calluses in the right places.
It's not calluses for me, I've got those. My hands just sweat too much, and the grips get slippery.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have Fox Attack gloves. No Velcro cuff, unpadded palm.

Still prefer to ride without gloves.

HAB, ambient humidity matters, too. When I ride early and the dew is still out I'm much more apt to have to stop to wipe down my hands and the grips. On dry mid day rides no such issues.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
My two favorite gloves are the giro dnd, they have a big booger wiper easy to get on, cheap and fit my hand (for the most part). The 2nd pair I love are the giro Lx Lf this one will be controversial but I think they are great, but not something I recommend first off. The black ones will dye your hands sometimes but I don’t care they shrink and stretch to fit and when you break them in they are fantastic. I compression fractured my 2nd metacarpal some years ago and have a shorter finger the glove will shrink down a little and fit my hand. For some reason I have never tried golf gloves I know some Bmx racers only use them. Maybe I’ll get some today. I can’t imagine they last that long.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like my Handup gloves.

Also really like TLD Air gloves. Wore a red pair long enough to turn pink.
Those look neat, might give em a try next.

Surprised nobody has mentioned 100% gloves yet. They are generally minimalist on the back, and usually have a single ply palm for better feel. I love em compared to fox and giro gloves in the past. I'm nervous about multi-ply palms, as they bunch up and can create a bad fit between the palm and the bar. I absolutely adore my briskers, but I also have a pair of itracks or something that fit great, but blew out a knuckle seam. With how little I ride, that's pretty unacceptable, but they were cheap and still work, so I haven't stopped riding them.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I loved the Fox Rangers for a minimalist glove for years, but they seemed to change their sizing this year. On the XL’s, the webbing between the thumb and index finger is what you’d think you’d find on a small. I grabbed some Alias gloves from Chain Reaction that I love. I can’t find them there or anywhere else now though. Like Sandwich said, 100% seem minimalist too. And the XL’s fit like XL’s.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It's not calluses for me, I've got those. My hands just sweat too much, and the grips get slippery.
If I were to start wearing gloves now, new calluses would develop around the heat patterns of the glove.

90% of my riding is in the desert. Its probably why I have stopped wearing gloves.

Its seems likely that having a pair in my pack for those slippery moments could be useful. I did some traveling thsi summer and my grips were getting slippery in long climbs or in those high humidity drainages.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Troy Lee Air. Super thin. XXL actually means XXL (lookin at you fox)

I don't use the velocro but it says pop Wheelies on the tab

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Surprised nobody has mentioned 100% gloves yet. They are generally minimalist on the back, and usually have a single ply palm for better feel. I love em compared to fox and giro gloves in the past. I'm nervous about multi-ply palms, as they bunch up and can create a bad fit between the palm and the bar. I absolutely adore my briskers, but I also have a pair of itracks or something that fit great, but blew out a knuckle seam. With how little I ride, that's pretty unacceptable, but they were cheap and still work, so I haven't stopped riding them.
The Briskers are great. I wear those on most winter days, except when its -10 or below. I have hot hands, so they do the job and are comfy.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

I use 100% or Hands Up. The 100% are very durable. I wash them weekly (air dry) and get a couple seasons out of them.

My trails are tight and tend to have to grab on to a tree either because of a bad line or to move it off the trail often. Fox gloves wear out in a few weeks.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Race Face Stages were a good fit for my L hands. They were also light, with minimalist palm and back panels, and had a pull-on wrist. Loved them while they lasted.

Too bad my caustic sweat eat through their palms like an alien's drool through the USS Nostromo.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Surprised nobody has mentioned 100% gloves yet. They are generally minimalist on the back, and usually have a single ply palm for better feel.
I really like my 100% ridefit gloves. Suitable for tropical weather. They also ask you "how much effort do you give?"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
disclaimer: i got a killer deal on raji's a number of years ago, so i purchased several pairs, and still haven't destroyed all of them. so my feedback isn't on the current (or even recent) versions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

any particular model from 100%?