Quantcast

What happened to team robot?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Jill Kitner (SP) has raced for them for something like 20 years.

They remind me of Iron Horse- pre '05, Sam Hill and DW link. When an entry level DH bike was $3500 (think Big Hit) IH had the SGS Pro for $2500 and it was always on sale for $1800. Though there weren't high end components, it got people into the sport. A 5th Element($500?), RS Boxxer Race($600), Minions f/r, Holsfeller cranks, LX drivetrain, e13 guide($125) and Hayes brakes($300 for both). You basically got a free frame.

I know that IH and KHS were both low end, but they made riding affordable. That's what keeps a lot of people away from DH. You either rent for $150-200 for the day (bike rental, gear tix sometimes insurance) or you dive in and buy new starting at 3k +gear?

They were both catalog frames with decent components. If I owned a shop, I'd consider carrying them in our area. A lot of people have an issue buying a $400 HT when they can buy a DS at Wally's for $150. KHS would probably have a less expensive starter bike than Specialized and Trek. Say $365ish?

As long as these catalog companies get customers out of Wally's and into the LBS, I'll support them. It doesn't mean I'll buy one. But support them, yes.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well first off, didn't Iron Horse close up due to what was effectively a glorified ponzi scheme? Weren't they selling bikes they couldn't afford to make, or something like that?

Anyways, I get why KHS sells bikes, and I get why you would want to sponsor racers. What I don't get is why they can't get feedback from those racers to make their bikes ride or look better. Maybe they just don't care. Maybe the racers don't know. I guess I would just think that, for having so many podium placers riding these things, a few of them could talk to corporate and be like "make the pivot higher", "fix the flex", "drop the giant fucking hump in the top tube".

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Melissa Buhl maybe?
Melissa Buhl (born January 25, 1982) is an American former professional downhill and mountain-cross racer who has been racing as pro since 1998. She was the 2005 USAC (USA Cycling) National Pro Downhill Champion and 2002 USAC National Pro Mountain Cross Champion, and 2008 4-X World Champion, NMBS DH Champion, NMBS 4-X Champion. Buhl started racing for KHS Factory Racing in 2001 and retired in 2012.[1]

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Jill has not raced for either KHS or Jamis....
Melissa Bhul for KHS & Kathy Pruitt for Jamis... if you're talking former female pro racers...

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I see he's infiltrated a ministry now.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I'm not religious, but bagging on somebody because they are is lame.
I kind of agree. To each his own.

It was more my surprise that it's either:
1. There's another Charlie (the good twin?), from a similar area, who's also into mtb, but is religious

Or

2. Charlie has a hidden religious side, which I would think is almost incompatible with his cynicism and sardonic wit.

Either one seems unlikely.... wtf?

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not religious, but bagging on somebody because they are is lame.
My read on it was the comments were in response to the outspoken shit-talking of teamrobot also being staff at a bible fellowship... and how that just did not appear plausible nor compatible... not bagging on someone for being religious.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i dunno man, looks like he's been brainwashed into mindless submission by the nefarious forces of organized religion.

perhaps a rescue extraction / deprogramming is in order?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unfortunately there is a large overlap between religious people and covidiots.
Not arguing this! But if in the midst of a pandemic official church representatives lobby for church services being allowed and people are backing this up then I just shake my head. If their faith in God is not lasting longer than a couple of days and needs to be refreshed every Sunday then I think it is God's will they catch the 'rona. But that these fuckers also infect others is unacceptable.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Not arguing this! But if in the midst of a pandemic official church representatives lobby for church services being allowed and people are backing this up then I just shake my head. If their faith in God is not lasting longer than a couple of days and needs to be refreshed every Sunday then I think it is God's will they catch the 'rona. But that these fuckers also infect others is unacceptable.
As an atheist that was raised in a very religious family I'll just say that the "will of god" is a powerful mind fvck. That said, a friend of mine once stated - "95% of the population needs to be shot in the fvcking face and I'm ready to pull the trigger". I can't say he was wrong.