Quantcast

what have you been putting in your earholes?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have been obsessed with psychadelic funk from the 70's latety.
stuff like fatback, reuben wilson, stone alliance, stone city band, brother to brother, etc...

Plus my regular doses of hip-hop.

When I am in the car it is Jazz from the University's radio station or whatever is on the community radio station.

whats your jam?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
lots of blue grass, hip hop, and classic rock. oh and ive had a resurgance in my fandom of nirvana lately.

J

JRB

Houston Marchman currently in the player. Been diggin on old Cult and likely getting Soul Asylum back out soon.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wilco compilation, Old Crow Medicine Show boot, Paul Westerberg compilation, String Cheese Incident boot, Police Zenyatta Mondatta, Gomez, The Beatles Rubber Soul, The Transplants, G Love and Special Sauce's new one :thumb: , and some old Bob Mould.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
I been listening to a bunch of country and metal and country metal.

Get some Hank III and find some old stuff when he had a band. No idea what the band was called so you will have to search a little. He did a stint in an acoustic punk band. Heard some tunes when I saw him open for Dwight Yoakam.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
lots of blue grass, hip hop, and classic rock. oh and ive had a resurgance in my fandom of nirvana lately.
PJ Harvey

ha, your avatar surprised me...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Probot, Neurosis and Calexico (yeah, I know that one doesn't fit with the other two)

Edit:
I should have added Voivod too

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
McGRP01 said:
UMPHREY'S McGEE!
:)

Ive seen them before, pretty good band. Last week I listened to Steve Kimmock a lot. Also I've been checking out this Wets African dude Habib Kolte, the Fareed Haque group, The Mahivishnu Orchestra, The Motet, & hell, I always have a bunch of new shizz. Always trading with friends :)

Also I have my staple bands that I listen to all the time but those above are the new ones I have been checking out.

If your into funk right now TN check out Karl Denson's Album - The Bridge. That band is a funk machine. Sound samples... on this page CLICK

Or: Galactic @ www.galacticfunk.com, hell, go find anything with Stanton Moore as the drummer and you will be geting a good dose of funk... Do a search here: www.archive.org/audio/

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
golgiaparatus said:

Ive seen them before, pretty good band. Last week I listened to Steve Kimmock a lot. Also I've been checking out this Wets African dude Habib Kolte, the Fareed Haque group, The Mahivishnu Orchestra, The Motet, & hell, I always have a bunch of new shizz. Always trading with friends :)

Also I have my staple bands that I listen to all the time but those above are the new ones I have been checking out.

If your into funk right now TN check out Karl Denson's Album - The Bridge. That band is a funk machine. Sound samples... on this page CLICK

Or: Galactic @ www.galacticfunk.com, hell, go find anything with Stanton Moore as the drummer and you will be geting a good dose of funk... Do a search here: www.archive.org/audio/
Yeah...all that good shiznit! I've seen KDTU...they rock and I just saw Galactic not to long ago as well. I knew by your SN, that we'd be on the same page musically. :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Currently in the CD player is the new Flogging Molly CD. I listen to KXLU in to work and going home untill I reach that point where it changes into a christian radio station. I have been listening to some Stevie Wonder lately too. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
golgiaparatus said:

cool, i will check it out.
I have been a fan of Galactic for a while. Whn i started exploring funk from the 70's I realized alot of there songs are covers. A buddy of mine has a show of theirs with Lyrics Born......good shizzle! :thumb:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
brock said:
I have been on a Jesus Lizard kick with some Archers of Loaf mixed in.

Me Too! Jesus Lizard that is...

I busted out Head / Pure and Liar.

Brings back memories of working on Beech Mtn and sneaking out the back for snow boarding runs.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
McGRP01 said:
Yeah...all that good shiznit! I've seen KDTU...they rock and I just saw Galactic not to long ago as well. I knew by your SN, that we'd be on the same page musically. :thumb:
Musically I'm all over the place. I frequently go and see all the bands you probably love but I dont listen to them that frequently. When I am listening to CDs I tend to gravitate either toward the innovators of something new or the original badasses.

Obviously I'm into Phish, other than starting the modern "jam" scene they were just basically my gateway band. I latched onto MMW after they got involved with Phish for that little bit. From there it was nuts, I was all over the place checking out Jazz & Funk. Plus I play in an Afro Cuban Percussion ensemble so I listen to a lot of world music and Latin.

Do you like the Motet? Kind of a combination of all my favorite styles (old Motet is best, when they had Jans the vocalist/percussionist.

have you heard of Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (always have to ask people this if they are into that scene)?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
DVNT said:
Me Too! Jesus Lizard that is...

I busted out Head / Pure and Liar.

Brings back memories of working on Beech Mtn and sneaking out the back for snow boarding runs.

I love those guys. I got see them live 4 or 5 times. They always put on the most killer shows. I have a playlist in my ipod that has every Jesus lizard disc on random.

I've really been into "Show" lately. The live recording brings back the good times I had at the shows I saw.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I saw that concert too, here in Atlanta.
It was one of the last times I went into the "pit"

David Yow's cowboy boot kicked me in the head after he did a stage dive!
I didn't wash my head for a year! (just kidding)

What a great live band. I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
laura said:
cool, i will check it out.
I have been a fan of Galactic for a while. Whn i started exploring funk from the 70's I realized alot of there songs are covers. A buddy of mine has a show of theirs with Lyrics Born......good shizzle! :thumb:

Galactic has been in my regular rotation for years, got to see them a few months ago.

Lately I have also been listening to a lot of Soulive, Liz Phair, Old P. Floyd, Modest Mouse, Donna the Buffalo and Rage Against the Machine. Other than that I have been in a musical funk (no pun intended). It is hard to find good new music when everyone I know listens to fusking chit.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Primus is currently in I tunes, Tales from the fishbowl.

NIN, Pretty Hate Machine is next!