Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Or the hundreds of kits that don't require re-dishing, just space over your rotor. I even got one for centerlock that finally works with my DT 180. Previously I had made my own spacers and was just getting enough engagement of the lockring, but it wasn't great and kinda heavy because the spacers were brass. But now it's even better. I'm not junking wheelsets that work perfectly fine.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Or the hundreds of kits that don't require re-dishing, just space over your rotor. I even got one for centerlock that finally works with my DT 180. Previously I had made my own spacers and was just getting enough engagement of the lockring, but it wasn't great and kinda heavy because the spacers were brass. But now it's even better. I'm not junking wheelsets that work perfectly fine.
Plz provide link for the guy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh right the wheel...

Its not the most elegant solution, but would this work?

You'd just need to get the rear wheel dish adjusted...or I guess just run it and see if it rubs?
I suppose that'll be an option. I have spacers on my front hub, so why not the back?!

Though I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, I'll see what Transition says... last time I got a replacement, the warranty guy said they still had plenty of replacement seat stays in stock... fingers crossed that's still the case.

A buddy of mine figures he could bond a piece of aluminum there and wrap it in carbon fibre... that might get me through the season?! who knows... but he built himself an airplane, and actually flies in it, so I trust his workmanship :D !

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I suppose that'll be an option. I have spacers on my front hub, so why not the back?!

Though I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, I'll see what Transition says... last time I got a replacement, the warranty guy said they still had plenty of replacement seat stays in stock... fingers crossed that's still the case.

A buddy of mine figures he could bond a piece of aluminum there and wrap it in carbon fibre... that might get me through the season?! who knows... but he built himself an airplane, and actually flies in it, so I trust his workmanship :D !
frikken eh?!!! they got back to me, and have replacements in stock! Man I love that company... there's no doubt my next bike will also be a Transition.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most recently, I cracked a rim on my XC race wheelset...a 290g rim that I had beat to hell and back through 5-6 years, so no skin off my back there, but set up 142 with DT 240 front hub and 180 rear, in other words, nice hubs. So to build a comparable wheelset at a similar weight and just a bit wider to be more modern...I'd be looking at $2000-2500...to make it "boost". Or I can buy rims, use the same spacer kits I've always used...save literally thousands. I'll use the spacers. I have an MRP "better boost" spacer on the front that spaces over the brake adapter, so the front rotor doesn't need a spacer. CL can be tricky, but if you have 6-bolt, these things are dirt cheap and easy, no reason not to IME, unless you just want to throw away perfectly good wheels or you have a better reason.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What do you think, bendable back?

Either way, going to find out after I crack this beer. Gotta ride tomorrow and it's a holiday weekend, ain't nobody got time for not riding!

:edit:
These stupid plastic cane creek spacers too. Good thing I'm sitting here looking at the bike. And I had just replaced the top ones with metal units on Tuesday. Close call there eh.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For some reason, my pedals keep loosening themselves on my XT FC-M8120 crankset. The threads are in perfect condition on both parts, the pedals are new (Deity Deftraps), I have always used grease and pedal wahers and the appropriate torque.

Would plumbers tape help? Any other ideas? They are still scratchless and look brand new, but out of warranty if that could have been an option. I did measure the threads' hole diameter and it's bugger than those on my Race face crankset, but I haven't compared the pedal threads' diameter with others yet.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For some reason, my pedals keep loosening themselves on my XT FC-M8120 crankset. The threads are in perfect condition on both parts, the pedals are new (Deity Deftraps), I have always used grease and pedal wahers and the appropriate torque.

Would plumbers tape help? Any other ideas? They are still scratchless and look brand new, but out of warranty if that could have been an option. I did measure the threads' hole diameter and it's bugger than those on my Race face crankset, but I haven't compared the pedal threads' diameter with others yet.
if they're loosening themselves, could it be that you have swapped left and right pedals? caus' they're supposed to tighten themselves if they're threaded in the right way....

(I know this is an obvious point... don't want to come off condescending, but it seems like the obvious place to start... sorry)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Haha no worries. No they're 100% on the right side (I still checked to make sure since they're symmetrical). They don't loosen themselves much, like 1/8th of a turn (just rode twice yet with those pedals yet). Maybe I should tighten then more, but they're pretty tight already.

Otherwise, I'll blue loctite those suckers in there, I don't have anything to lose and it's going to be possible to remove them anyway. I wouldn't do that if they stayed tight, but since they fit loose, why not.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Peen over the end of the axle.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
You say the threads are perfect but if you ridden with loose pedals you might have opened 'em up a bit. Second the ideas for loctite and more ugga duggas.
Yeah that’s what I think happened… oh well.
With the way those Shimano cranks are made, I’m not sure if EZlocks would have enough material, but if the loctite and uggaduggas don’t work, I’ll try that as a last resort.

I’m almost buying RF Aeffect Rs as we speak though.