Quantcast

WHAT is a great hardtail?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
my 2 cents:

i ride a 2004 KONA roast xl. i bought the bike new for 1400$. came out of the box ready to shred. i been shreding the streets and dj's on it for almost 6 months now. i love this bike man. it came with a djIII fork, but it was a tad heavy for my tastes. i swapped in a Fox Vanilla 125R and i have been i heaven. i have ridden dj's, street, park, and DH all in one weekend on that bike. :D

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
I'd go .243. I got one and it's definately a versatile bike. You get 3 different top-tube sizes to choose from. It's got horizontal drop-outs and wheelbase adjusters to go with it. It's got a huge reputation in Vancouver and on NSMB.com. They're also reasonalby priced and have a good warrenty

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I love my Norco5Hun. They don't make the 5Hun anymore, but the other frames should be in the same league.

Check unrealcycles.com. They have a good inventory of stuff with descriptions. Also check Soul Cycles at ridesoul.com. They have some good looking products with improvements and more models planned for next year.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Sven tha Viking said:
i ride a kona cowan, and it is awesome, nice with a 4inch fork, or a six like i have
I am selling my Cowan very very soon as a full bike. Anywhere from $650-$900 depending on fork and component choices. Yeah yeah, I know, post it in the Buy and Sell...I will, but he's asking for recommendations on a hardtail, and I happen to have one..... :sneaky:

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
big boy said:
there are alot of good hardtails. If you want beef, get a evil. but if you want a strong , relativly light ht check out norco, or maybe the small company transition bikes

www.transitionbikes.com

That Transition hardtail is 8lb. The Imperial is 6.1lb or so. I say go for the Imperial in terms of strength and weight. Very few companies appear to be even coming close to touchnig the Engineering behind the Imperial.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would be aware that the P3 weighs 38 lbs. (If you are at all concerned w/ that) It is HELLA beefy, though.

Ilovespooky

Chimp
May 7, 2004
since your coming off a V10 a burly hardtail should be the way to go, i have a new steel clifcat tankass and i've done everything on it, i raced MTX on it last weekend and it has great geometry for everything

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i've actually heard bad things about the chase. however, azonic is out with a new hardtail. the steelhead. Shawnee at the Fix in boulder (he owns the place) says it's a pretty sick frame, and he's never steered me wrong before.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
look at planet x, or if you want to go with NORCO, get the 250 rather than the Manik, P3's are alright, but your best bet is to look at the planet x line, and build one up with parts you like.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
alonedrinkin' said:
dude, the DMR Trailstar kicks ass, has a good warranty and most good shops can get it through BTI.
He's right, check out this frame at www.dmrbikes.com the sidekick is a great choice too, I think the sell the frames for right around $300

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
what do you guys know about "blk mrkt"? All i know is what i remember from scanning the latest decline at the shop. That being: a project set up by some dude who used to work for S&M and some other guy and the frame's got an integrated headset and it's made from OX platinum, only, that has got a new name, like supertherm or something.

um, why would anyone want to run bmx spacing on a 24" or larger wheel? Hint hint geekhouse. I mean, wow you get to use bmx hubs, but sheesh, how many 180's can you do without having to carry some salsa for the innevitable taco?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
all im saying is that i love my yeti i might be a bit biased because i ride for them and put some thought into the final production (beat the living poo out of the prototype for a year) but it rides incredibly nice. check it out. i tossed my slider plus on it and it rode pretty decently