Quantcast

What is Keystone thinking?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I did some runs at Keystone today and they have changed/added things. The top of Cowboy up(race course) now has a berm in almost every turn. Yes, it is faster riding it with the berms but I enjoy flat turns. Having a berm in every corner gets to be kind of lame. They also added a new double. Right as you enter Motorhead after the TNT turnoff you enter the woods and their is a nice left hand turn. As soon as you exit the turn there is a new double. It is a ok idea to have a double there but the one they built is way to small. You come out of the corner and over shoot the landing. This would not be a bad thing except the jump throws you a little funny and you land in a nose wheelie everytime. Everyone in the group I was riding with had this problem. Even trying to slow down and stay low you can't catch the landing of the jump. After landing this jump you have to pedal hard to make the next double(was a step down just before coming out under the lift) they built up the landing so it a true double now. This new double has killed the flow of this section of trail.

Up at the top of Keysone by the map the dry erase board says they are still awaiting approval for 3 new trails from the forest service.

Other than this Keystone is in great shape. The trails have a lot of traction due to the rain they have been getting the last few days.

I might go back tomorrow, or go hit up Vail again.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your opinion about the new double. I don't think it kills the flow of the course, but it definitely does throw you a little strange. Being able to squash small dubs and hit their landings I think is kinda fun and took me a while to get comfortable doing. Same problem with all the jumps on Motorhead, especially the tables (except for the former step-down).

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I rode Keystone for the first time the other day so I can't comment on how it used to be, but I'll admit that some of the flow is a little whacky. Overall I was pretty impressed with how well built everything is though. Especially the stunts. How does Vail compare to Keystone and what are their ticket prices like?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Vail is a little rougher than Keystone. It is also more difficult to ride Vail fast. The 94 Downhill course has some pedally sections but good flow. It just ends a little soon and you have to ride service roads to the bottom. Magic Forest is very flowy and fun. Old 9 is very technical, the first part can be sketchy. After you get in the woods is were the fun begins very off camber with lots of roots. If you pick the wrong line there is a good chance you will come to a stop. Then the trail opens up again with banked turns until once again you are on service roads to the bottom.

Lift tickets at Vail run $1 more than Keystone.

I am up in the air as to which resort I prefer, they both have different riding making it hard to compare them. They are both very worth while to ride.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I like what keystone has done. I didn't go there at al last year due to the lack of new stuff. I hit up vail more and enjoyed the change. I did hit up the new drop zone and managed to style (read: stuck without crashing) some of the drops there.

keystone needs to get more long techy stuff going along with flow. they have small section of fun with a connector trial in between.

the 2 for one at keystone is the bomb. make it worth it

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
I think the overall flow is better. Yes, the double needs some length, and its less techy. They've probably taken minutes off this course time from before. Pretty soon be just like A line.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I've found that's a problem at most all Bike Parks I've ridden, but if they built everything to fit the top 10% of riders, they'd never make any money. The Dubs probably seem small to you, cruising through and maintaining speed, but to a slower rider a bigger gap would only prove more dangerous. It looks like Keystone is trying its best to open up to all skill levels of riding. I can't wait to get out there in a couple weeks.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Someone needs to have had or has a winter ski pass. If you don't have it, they'll look it up in the computer. The person needs to have ID as well. Then, they'll charge half and half for each rider. Saweeet deal.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
T-Pirate said:
I've found that's a problem at most all Bike Parks I've ridden, but if they built everything to fit the top 10% of riders, they'd never make any money. The Dubs probably seem small to you, cruising through and maintaining speed, but to a slower rider a bigger gap would only prove more dangerous. It looks like Keystone is trying its best to open up to all skill levels of riding. I can't wait to get out there in a couple weeks.
You know, you have an excellet point. I could do all of what they had a few years back. now, they've added in big ramps and big jumps... almost too big. I'm a moderate hucker, meaning I'll boot some stuff as long as its not major... I enjoyed the 5 ft huck, but the tranny in the drop zone is way steep. I enjoy the 5 to 8 foot max type of hucks, and anything below, but most of the new stuff they have is for expert and pro based people.

When I was hanging out at the drop zone, I half expected to see a handfull of riders boot the big stuff. Not the case. Everyone has day jobs, and they were all on the 5 footer (which ends up being a 10 foot huck by the time you touch down). It would be nice to have a ton of various moderates... It seems that they go from easy to insane too quickly...

Again, the hucks that trails like the Porcupine Rim have is what makes that trail super desirable by so many people. Keystone needs to adopt that.

That's it, I'm calling the CEO of Vail resorts...

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I'll be up there shredding tomorrow (that'a very relative term) so if in fact anyone has some two-for-one action they're looking to unload, just gimme a holler. Thanks for all the info.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Ascentrek said:
You know, you have an excellet point. I could do all of what they had a few years back. now, they've added in big ramps and big jumps... almost too big. I'm a moderate hucker

I'm with ya there. I looooove the first section of Cowboy Up from the lift down through that first rock garden, and would be super happy if they built more trail like that. Turns, roots, rocks, small-moderate size drops, tight technical stuff. Drops and stunts are fun, but I'd like so see more tight and twisty black runs in the trees rather than just more jumps/ramps/drops just for them to say they built new stuff.

Landed a bit off on my first hit on the new five footer a weekand a half ago, and badly dislocated and avulsed open my right ring finger. I didn't scope the landing as much as I should have; steeper than it seemed looking at it from up top, and still fairly loose. Take off seemed fine, and initial landing too, then somehow I ended up in some rocks off to the right of landing.

I'm no big hucker anyhow, but this just means I'll be sticking to 5-6 foot with nice landings from now one, after checking landing zones out first!

Attachments

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
scrublover said:
... Drops and stunts are fun, but I'd like so see more tight and twisty black runs in the trees rather than just more jumps/ramps/drops just for them to say they built new stuff.
Actually, they have had their plans for three new runs ready for the last month or so, but they are awaiting approval from the forest dis-service. I hear that the trail approvals will be appraised once some of the winter plans are approved/denied. Somebody dropped the ball there...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
.thumper. said:
Actually, they have had their plans for three new runs ready for the last month or so, but they are awaiting approval from the forest dis-service. I hear that the trail approvals will be appraised once some of the winter plans are approved/denied. Somebody dropped the ball there...

yeah, i did here that when i was up there. hopefully they will be nicely done, but scaled so that wooses like me who don't do monster hucks can ride them without killing ourselves.

everything else up there, other than the big drops i can handle decently. so i can still go and get a nice long day of good runs in, without even hitting the drop zone if i want. the new bermed stuff here and there was a nice surprise.

sucky for me that my ride ending wreck happened during the second run, and not the fifth or sixth. ;) i didin't get to see/ride the rest of the new stuff at all. that wall ride looks pretty damn cool.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
personally i think the "step up" on motorhead is perfect. if you backside it correctly it sets you up pretty darn nicely for the next double.

If you over shoot the step up you will probably overshoot the double. This probably isnt the best for racing but for riding this works great.

Keystone has been doing alot of very nice work on their trails. On TNT the table addition was nice last year. The work on skeeter coast rocks! And the berms on cowboy up make it alot more flowy. This is my personal opinion of course but have had many fellow riders say the same sentiments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
yeah, we hit 'skeeter on the last half of our first run the other day. muuuuuuch nicer than it used to be! super fast and flowy.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
snowskilz said:
personally i think the "step up" on motorhead is perfect. if you backside it correctly it sets you up pretty darn nicely for the next double.

If you over shoot the step up you will probably overshoot the double. This probably isnt the best for racing but for riding this works great.

Keystone has been doing alot of very nice work on their trails. On TNT the table addition was nice last year. The work on skeeter coast rocks! And the berms on cowboy up make it alot more flowy. This is my personal opinion of course but have had many fellow riders say the same sentiments
Yes, perfect. I realize Keystone is attempting to appeal to all types and skill levels, however it seems to me that a flatter, more gradual landing would be more in tune for less skilled riders (and DH bikes in general)...The landing as it stands is pretty steep...don't get me wrong that's usually a good thing...but flatter, longer would prove safer and more feasible for the faster riders. The more skilled riders can carry enough speed through that berm to overshoot the landing of that "double" by miles. Same with the bigger double after. I do agree with the berms on cowboy up...much more fun...however I did enjoy the challenge of the old flat turns. Skeeter coast is great.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I can understand wanting to appeal to all kinds of riders but Keystone is really lacking technical DH riding. Cowboy up was nice until they put the berms in. Someone metioned how it is slowly turning into a a-line trail, so the one moderately difficult trail they had is getting easier.

The new double is ok for lesser skilled riders, for faster riders it is almost dangerous. One of the guys I was riding with when overshooting the landing was getting pointed almost directly into a tree. It wa hard to avoid the tree due to the fact the jup causes you to land heavy on the front wheel. Most of the jumps at Keystone for the faster riders require serious brake checking.

The Drop Zone I am sure some riders love it, and it has its place. It is not my cup of tea, the drop just to the left of the large drop is nice smooth and easy to hit. I just prefer going flat out on the old trail and airing out the cheese wedge jump.

It would be nice if the trail workers at Keystone would just do some maintenace and wait to do any building until the new trails are approved. I just hope the three new trails are all top to bottom, not just one trail that changes names three times on the way down.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Dangerous E said:
I'll be up there shredding tomorrow (that'a very relative term) so if in fact anyone has some two-for-one action they're looking to unload, just gimme a holler. Thanks for all the info.
With all the rain, did you end up going? Was Keystone open?

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
DHCorky said:
I can understand wanting to appeal to all kinds of riders but Keystone is really lacking technical DH riding.

There is serious truth in that. There is more technical down hill at White ranch than Keystone.... except for the one off man made stuff, front range can be technically harder.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Ascentrek said:
With all the rain, did you end up going? Was Keystone open?
Keystone was open on Saturday and was a super-fun mudfest! It rained constantly until about 1pm and all riders were covered head-to-toe in mud. The trails had small streams running down them just before lunch. It was such a blast!

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Went to Keystone today after riding Vail for about a week. They charged me $29.00 on top of the $300 for the Vail summer pass!!! I thought Vail Resorts ran Keystone too, why would they charge me again?

I found the terrain at Keystone to be way more challenging than Vail. I don't know what it's called, but I did one trail (Wild Thing I think) was just nose dive after nose dive after nose dive. Moondust on top of huge rocks in tight trees. It was ridiculous. The drop zone was insane too. I watched for a while and didn't see anyone hit the big drop. No one went for the other "allies". It seems like Keystone forgot to add dirt to all their trails. So many sections are just rock after rock after rock. If other mountains have rock gardens, Keystone has commercial rock farms. And that white dust they have instead of dirt made me think my tires were flat the whole time. I was really frustrated the whole time I was there, but now I have a strange urge to go back.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
stgil888 said:
Went to Keystone today after riding Vail for about a week. They charged me $29.00 on top of the $300 for the Vail summer pass!!! I thought Vail Resorts ran Keystone too, why would they charge me again?

I found the terrain at Keystone to be way more challenging than Vail. I don't know what it's called, but I did one trail (Wild Thing I think) was just nose dive after nose dive after nose dive. Moondust on top of huge rocks in tight trees. It was ridiculous. The drop zone was insane too. I watched for a while and didn't see anyone hit the big drop. No one went for the other "allies". It seems like Keystone forgot to add dirt to all their trails. So many sections are just rock after rock after rock. If other mountains have rock gardens, Keystone has commercial rock farms. And that white dust they have instead of dirt made me think my tires were flat the whole time. I was really frustrated the whole time I was there, but now I have a strange urge to go back.
Sounds like you had a good time... you must be worn out from all of the complaining.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
stgil888 said:

What are you talking about? Keystone is nice flat, flowy, beginner friendly dh. All real obstacles are bypassable. That white dust makes up all colorado(western) DH trails.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Just rode Keystone today. Great conditions, tacky, just a little mud, ripping good time. I personally think putting in doubles like that are more in line with a jump park and not a dh trail. I'd rather hit something going 30 mph and go 25ft down the trail then do a speed check and suck up the lip in hopes of landing on a transition. Other than that I thought the resort ripped.