Quantcast

What is the first thing I should cook in my air fryer?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Teh Spousal Unit™ and I bought each other small appliances for Christmas this year, including an air fryer. It’s a Cuisinart basket style, probably about 5-7 quarts? It only air fries things. So what should we cook first? What’s awesome that we should cook all the time? We’re definitely plant forward, but do still eat meat.

Go!

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
My mom somehow found her way onto the air fryer train from when it left the station (i.e. like 10 + years back)

Volume wise tator tots and all things potato.

I can do frozen salmon to plate in ~10 mins but shines with anything that is better crispy.

It's basically a smaller convection oven so it cooks things slightly quicker and / or crispy brown and delicious as long as food is coated in some sort of fatty goodness ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Spaghetti, soup, and pubes were all pretty terrible. They just didn’t crisp up like I thought they should. The cat was a bit gamey, but the liver of my enemies turned out perfect. We don’t eat kale in this house. We’ll probably try some potatoes this weekend, as part of chorizo and sweet potato tacos.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
In other words, and all seriousness, we haven’t actually tried it yet. We’ve been using the toaster oven and the Dutch oven that we got for Christmas.

But I do appreciate all the super helpful responses here!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Roast chicken. Oh, wait. You should do that in a microwave.

I don't know why the convection microwaves didn't take off like air fryers, they are awesome and probably would have cooked a decent chicken.
Guess people want N+1 everything.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Girlfriends mom got an air fryer for Christmas, but already has one at home, so she left it with us until the cottage opens up.

We've tried a few things, but basically just things that'd go in the oven. The one plus side is that there is virtually no preheat time, compared to the oven. You know, after a visit to the shed and ya gotta wait that 20 minutes for it to preheat; gone with this.

We did make a steak in it. I didn't cook it, so no clue how long it took or anything, but it came out pretty good. Less lingering smells and whatnot compared to the cast iron pan that we normally use, if doing it inside.

Would like to try making some homemade fries. We usually do these in the oven, but getting them crispy seems like a mix of luck and thoughts and prayers. Maybe it'll be easier in this thing?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
We've tried a few things, but basically just things that'd go in the oven. The one plus side is that there is virtually no preheat time, compared to the oven. You know, after a visit to the shed and ya gotta wait that 20 minutes for it to preheat; gone with this.
I've heard rumors that they are, actually, just tiny convection ovens that clutter up your countertop. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've heard rumors that they are, actually, just tiny convection ovens that clutter up your countertop. :D
Tiny?

I actually forgot to mention that, this one is a big one with two drawers. It aint small. :busted:

But yeah that's what it appears to be. A small isolated convection oven with a trivet at the bottom to keep the food elevated.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is it really a matter of “what” you should cook first, or “who”?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
french fries
wings
frozen stuff like mozz sticks if you like junk food
i've down fish fry style breaded fish in it with good success.
bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos
hash browns
bacon

i'm sure i'll think of more

fatty stuff like wings & bacon i add some water into the bottom tray to prevent smoking

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cheap frozen tator tots. Knor vegetable soup mix and sour cream. Coat them in olive oil and airfry for a 20 minutes.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just checking in, has FT air fried anything yet??
We’ve air fried Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, two separate nights. Both tossed with EVOO and S&P. Very crispy, very delicious. I also air fried a buffalo style veggie patty, and it was acceptable.